Great G1x MK II review from the inspired eye

Started May 2, 2014 | Discussions
didier pollez New Member • Posts: 17
Great G1x MK II review from the inspired eye
 didier pollez's gear list:didier pollez's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +3 more
Mr Sincere Regular Member • Posts: 336
Re: Great G1x MK II review from the inspired eye

didier pollez wrote:

http://www.theinspiredeye.net/canon-g1x-mk-ii-review/

Thanks for posting.  Best review I've read yet.  He seemed to have actually used the camera, and the sample images were pretty good.

Mr Sincere's gear list:Mr Sincere's gear list
Panasonic LX100
MickeyVee
MickeyVee Regular Member • Posts: 348

Nice review. Straight forward and simple. I've pretty much read every review and got something out of most.

Just picked up my G1X II today and can't wait to start shooting.

MickeyVee's gear list:MickeyVee's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic LX10 +2 more
aodi
aodi Senior Member • Posts: 1,598

Very nice review, thank you!

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

ScratchDisk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,598

Great review, Tx! Probably the best I've read so far.

The G1-X II syncs to at least 1/2000th - so, a plea (again, sorry):

We know (I think) that it can sync, without HSS power losses, up to 1/2000th - maybe in some circumstances, up to 1/4000th.

With a longish, relatively fast, lens and high sync speeds, focus separation of the subject in bright ambient conditions with flash illumination on the primary subject, should be attainable.

So, min ISO, longest zoom, widest Ap, bright ambient, necessarily high shutter speed (set to achieve ambient under-exposure) with flash significant in the capture (you'd have to lose the EVF)  . . . . any takers? Actual pics?

Fuji's X100s is king - but only with a short/wide lens. Otherwise it's many thousands for a Phase One back behind an in-lens shutter! But what can the G1-X Mk II offer?

TIA!

ScratchDisk's gear list:ScratchDisk's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M5
zt0780 New Member • Posts: 12

It can be done of course, but without the evf, it will be very hard to see the screen in bright sunlight. If you are planning to do that often, I wouldn't recommend the g1x mk2.

I haven't tried with an external flash, long end wide open, and fast shutter speed yet. I'm waiting for new triggers because my v2s triggers only do 1/800.

For in camera flash, I just use the pop up because it is convenient. Like the Fuji, it will sync at 1/2000 and allow you to underexpose ambient light.

The closest I have to your request is long end wide open , pop up flash, but slower shutter speed. .

lungdoc Regular Member • Posts: 242

Just trying some now with my 430EX mounted, no bright sun today and pressed for time so don't have good examples. In Av mode could only get shutter speed to go over 1/250 by putting flash into HSS mode. Was definitely firing flash and adjusting exposure at 1/2000. I didn't find much documentation on flash use with an external flash in the manual.

Here's with flash HSS. ISO 400, 33mm, f/3.5, 1/2000

Without flash same settings

Hi Lungdoc, Tx very much indeed - I realise you can't fix bright sun on demand!

The detail about the system only allowing you to go over 1/250th with HSS selected is important to me. Owners of earlier G series cams have had to trick the system by taping over all but the centre contact & rail to achieve higher sync speeds without HSS enabled.

With a DSLR, HSS inevitably involves at least a c 2.5 stops power/range penalty - I think (but have not seen evidence support) that HSS from G cams is similarly afflicted (although still useable - as you have proven).

Tx again!

Hi, Thank you for that - and - the snippet that 'v2s triggers only do 1/800'. Cheers

lungdoc Regular Member • Posts: 242

Here's one with the built in flash at 1/800, f/4.5, ISO 100.

And without flash

Tx very much.

You certainly achieved a useful benefit from adding flash at 1/800th. Tx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads