Canon 6D with 24-105 or Nikon D610 with 24-85?

Started May 2, 2014 | Discussions
RicF1979 New Member • Posts: 2
Canon 6D with 24-105 or Nikon D610 with 24-85?

Good afternoon community.

As we are preping ourselves to go to Australia and New Zealand, we decided to upgrade our t2i to a different/better camera.

I'm very indecise between the 6D and the Nikon d610.

I read a few things around here but still can't make up my mind.

It seems the lens that comes with the Canon kit is better but the Nikon AF is better.

Please help... I'd like to make my decision by this weekend

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892354-REG/Canon_8035b009_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008287-REG/nikon_d610_dslr_camera_with.html

Thanks a lot!

Ricardo and Nicole

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
amobi
amobi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,116
Re: Canon 6D with 24-105 or Nikon D610 with 24-85?

RicF1979 wrote:

As we are preping ourselves to go to Australia and New Zealand, we decided to upgrade our t2i to a different/better camera.

It seems the lens that comes with the Canon kit is better but the Nikon AF is better.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892354-REG/Canon_8035b009_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008287-REG/nikon_d610_dslr_camera_with.html

Thanks a lot!

Ricardo and Nicole

I just don't understand why people keeping asking this question all the time. Nobody here can help you except get you more confused.

I use to own 6D and D600 but I am not here to tell you what to do because both cameras are far better than t2i and will surpass your expectations.

Another person asked same question just five threads below yours.

ppires85 Regular Member • Posts: 445

RicF1979 wrote:

or

Thanks a lot!

Ricardo and Nicole

If you intend to relay on kit lens, Canon 24-105 f4 L by far has a better construction if compared to 24-85mm from Nikon. Performance is a close call, but really the nikon kit feels really cheap, specially if you look at the focus ring.

If you look at lens sets, nikon has a better consumer primes lens set with the 1.8G lenses, which offers you a very good performance for a low price - and comes also with weather sealing. Canon is taking a lot of time to update their consumer level lenses - last ones were 24mm, 28mm and 35mm and the update meant including IS and minor changes to the optical formulas (I'd rather see weather sealing instead of IS..., IS for those ranges are not that much useful...).

Considering the professional lens set, I would tend to Canon's side on zooms and also on primes.

Nikon's AF is not that better. It really depends on what are you shooting. Telling you the truth both eos 6d and D610 has AF crippled down to stay out of competition with D800 and 5D Mark III. They offer a very similar focus point distribution cropped to the center, not reaching the thirds of the viewfinder. Canon's center focus point has a very strong light sensitivity to -3EV, while Nikon has only -1EV - but nikon has AF light assist, which brings down that difference. Although the problem with AF light is that depending on your subject, you will call it's attention (forget street, nature, wildlife, any kind of spontaneous shots). You can reduce the EV issue of Nikon's AF by aiming for higher contrast surface, but sometimes this is just not possible. About the ammount of focus point, I end up using mostly single focus point anyways.

Otherwise, Nikon's sensor is more up to date, but differences are more technical than practical. I just feel that blacks in Canon are much better. Colorwise, it depends on your preferences. I've seen situations where canon gave me cooler colors, while nikon gave me warmer (nikon usually pushes a little bit more for green and magenta, while canon seems to pull more to the blue side I think), at other moments I saw the oposit, so there might be a little difference at algorithms processing colors. For that issue, I'd rather recommend you to visit some flickr page and see what you like. Know that people in Flickr usually tend to over process images, so might not be really reliable. The best option would be to rent the cameras with a similar focal length lens.

Another point that you might think about is about services. Usually Canon is praised for having a much better and faster service. Also Nikon has been experiencing some factory quality control issues since d600, heard some people in the flickr community complaining also about dust and oil on d610.

I think that's all.

ppires85's gear list:ppires85's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

Both cameras are quite capable and deliver similar IQ.  D610 is better in DR at base ISO but 6D is cleaner in high ISO but difference is pretty small in real world photos.

Now comes to the respective kit lens.  24-105L/4.0 IS is much better than 24-85G/3.5-5.6 VR, constant f/4, longer at tele side, weather sealed and better build quality, also optically perform better.  24-105L counterpart is 24-120G/4.0 VR that is not part of any Nikon combo and costs lots more but optically performs about the same as 24-105L that is sharper lens than both Nikon copies as shown in DXO test below (such as at 24mm wide open).

DXO 24-105L on 6D vs 24-85G on D610 vs 24-120G on D610

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

qianp2k wrote:

Both cameras are quite capable and deliver similar IQ. D610 is better in DR at base ISO but 6D is cleaner in high ISO but difference is pretty small in real world photos.

Now comes to the respective kit lens. 24-105L/4.0 IS is much better than 24-85G/3.5-5.6 VR, constant f/4, longer at tele side, weather sealed and better build quality, also optically perform better. 24-105L counterpart is 24-120G/4.0 VR that is not part of any Nikon combo and costs lots more but optically performs about the same as 24-105L that is sharper lens than both Nikon copies as shown in DXO test below (such as at 24mm wide open).

DXO 24-105L on 6D vs 24-85G on D610 vs 24-120G on D610

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53474140

When you compare lens scores keep in mind the Nikon D610 is truly AAless in one orientation. You can see this in DPReview's studio comparison and looking at the moire characteristics and how it flares in one orientation of detail but not another. You can also see in DxOMark's sharpness profile how vertical vs horizontal sharpness differs a great deal across lenses.

IMO it may result in nicer benchmarks...but somewhat awkward and uneven sharpening....

If you take out the fact that the D610 is AAless in one direction and its slightly higher MPs...you'll realize that many of the Canon lenses often bashed for being inferior, quite frankly aren't. And they sharpen up nice and EVENLY in post.  I would prefer the D610 just be entirely AAless and not AAless in only one orientation, but in truth I am absolutely fine about having a complete and even AA filter in place and don't buy the AA hype.

The truth is even an often bashed lens like the 17-40L is actually a cheap and wonderfully performing lens to *any* of the Nikon UWA's except their legendary 14-24, etc. It actually beats their 16-35G in some regards and comparable to their 18-35 which has lesser focal range.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Mais78 Senior Member • Posts: 1,200
Try them in your hands

Performancewise they are equivalent, Nikon slightly better but nothing that will make the difference in your shots. If you havent married a system yet just go to a shop and see how they feel in your hands. I prefer the 6d for the ergonomics and the no frills controls vs the nikon.

Mais78's gear list:Mais78's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,777
Re: Try them in your hands

Go for the 6D there you go, decision made i guess if you asked the same on the Nikon forum you would get go for Nikon, look at both cameras, decide on whats right for you after looking at the pros and cons, dont know what more one can say really your choice and needs are only yours to make.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +11 more
dpr4bb Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

RicF1979 wrote:

or

Thanks a lot!

Ricardo and Nicole

One ergonomic feature of the 6D that I find extremely useful is that you can configure the magnify button so that a single press after taking a shot displays a 100% magnified view of the selected focus point to instantly check for critical focus. I don't know about the D610, but the D600 that I bought, but returned, before I bought a 6D did not have this capability. I can't over-emphasize how useful this feature has been for me.

Another thing to consider is that Canon and Nikon have different approaches to rendering skin tones in their JPEG engines, so you might want to look into this and see which you prefer. There is a very good review on YouTube, comparing the Canon 70D and the Nikon D7100, that illustrates this difference really well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOM4r1gxsbs

What is particularly useful about the above video is the blind A/B test starting at minute 23, where he compares Canon vs. Nikon skin tones in portraits. He presents a sequence of portrait pairs (one from each camera), and you select A or B. He reveals the answers at the end. In every single instance, my chosen portrait turned out to have been from Canon, so there is a very clear difference between the two manufacturers in terms of how they render skin tones in their JPEG engines. You might find that useful.

Having owned both the 6D and the D600 (same camera as the D610, minus the older debris-spewing shutter), my recommendation is for the 6D for both image quality and ergonomics.

lee_b Regular Member • Posts: 100

the choice can be simple -- what matters to you in a camera.  i bought the 6D for two reasons

1. low light, high ISO performance is ridiculous.  in near darkness you can get "usable" (i didn't say great, but usable) shots at ISO 25.600.

2. i like to travel for photo workshops.  built-in geo-tagging with the 6D is very convenient.  so greatly simplified over taking a GPS logger and linking them to the photos in post processing.

my brother has a nikon D610.  technically, some more advanced features (more focus points, two card slots, and some other "stuff").  but low light image quality not even close and no GPS.

for general pics in general light, you won't be able to distinguish image quality.  care about features and lens choices.  personally, i prefer the canon ergonomics and access to menu functions over the nikon (but that's what i am used to).

-- hide signature --

Lee

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
The A77II discussion on GPS is revealing...

It seems to reveal that there are many gearheads that are complete narcissists when there is a huge component of photography they are missing...that you are not always taking photographs for yourself...but sometimes for your children and your children's children.

I only lived in the same house for a good majority of time as a child when I hit the 3rd grade.  Before that it was a massive blur...I must have swapped houses and schools at least 5 times.  Does anyone expect a 1st grader to remember every recollection down to a exact locations between at least 5 moves?  I do have a good solid memory of *images* however of so many years past...but had any of these images been coupled with geo-tagging...it would be utterly more revealing and I could use google maps to great success to just learn more about my early youth.  So I can say I still remember *images* dating as far back as what my 6 year old daughter is currently going through...but I surely will not be able to mentally geo-tag it.

Every narcissistic a-hole on DPReview however is convinced that the point of geo-tagging is apparently only to remember what you were doing 30 minutes ago.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
NewForce Senior Member • Posts: 1,263

You have 2 choice,

Choice no. 1 - Go for Canon 6D, if you want better pictures color, better AWB, better picture under mix lighting condition and level.

Choice no. 2 - Go for Nikon D610, if you like a camera with better DXOMarks and DPR review scores. (no, I did not say it can't take good picture)

You can't go wrong

with either choice , as in the end you'll get something good, in different direction.

-- hide signature --

Kenny

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads