Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

Started May 2, 2014 | Discussions
astone Regular Member • Posts: 452
Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

Two days ago received A6000 and could not tested it outside because of heavy reining. Today I went to Great Falls and had several shots to test camera with SEL1670Z.

-- hide signature --

Alex

 astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
forpetessake
forpetessake Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z
2

They all look pretty bad: color, resolution, artifacts. And the question is why did they turn out that way? There is no exif, which doesn't help either.

DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,645
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z
1

I'm sorry to say this, but I'd have to agree with forpetessake; these are all pretty terrible in terms of what ended up on screen.

I haven't posted too many of my test shots (not enough shooting opportunities, and when there was, I've been playing with AF-C), but here's one that is more illustrative of the camera/lens combo.

A6000 + SEL1670Z @70mm, ISO200, 1/500s, f/5.6.

RAW -> DNG -> LR4.4: CA correction = on, sharpening = 32, NR= 22. Those are the only adjustments.  100%, full-size, no crop.

 DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +16 more
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,041
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

These are nice snapshots but do not illustrate what results one can expect to get from this lens/camera combination, nor do they allow the OP to assess his/her camera adequately. In order to do a test well, you need to be take a few dozen photos of a single, detailed subject which fills the frame and which doesn't move so you get repeatability, on a tripod with low ISOs at a variety of apertures and shutter speeds.  Then start increasing the ISO to determine where the noise becomes unacceptable to you.

RonFrank
RonFrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,130
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z
3

I think the OP just needs some minor adjustments.  Be real, the reason peoples photos look good is because they have the camera adjusted and they do PP sometime quite a bit of Post.

The OP simply needs to do some work with settings either in camera or PP.  The time of day is also not great and the images are not what most would call inspired, but they are not bad either. It looks like typical Sony greens to me... too yellow.

People act as if every image should be exceptional, but I see a lot of things much less inspired than this. A crappy photo of a frig and cabinet is ignored, replaced with an inspired discussion about the cameras ability, or lack there of, to focus on said frig in near dark.  Because we are all planning on spending large chunks of time shooting our kitchens in the dark.....

To the OP your basic settings likely need some adjusting, saturation, hue, whatever. Shooting at magic light is generally the best way to get inspiring light.  Adjustments are done using baby steps.

The important thing is you are out shooting!

Have fun

 RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +7 more
DimitriDV Regular Member • Posts: 361
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

I see some strange square artifacts, perhaps as a result of post processing?

See for example this 100% crop from the first photo, the squares are clearly visible in the red circle...

100% crop

-- hide signature --

Some photos taken since I bought my Nex-6&7: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/

OP astone Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

DimitriDV wrote:

I see some strange square artifacts, perhaps as a result of post processing?

See for example this 100% crop from the first photo, the squares are clearly visible in the red circle...

100% crop

i converted the file from raw and applied some PP. Bellow the same without PP.

-- hide signature --

Alex

 astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,645
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

astone wrote:

DimitriDV wrote:

I see some strange square artifacts, perhaps as a result of post processing?

See for example this 100% crop from the first photo, the squares are clearly visible in the red circle...

100% crop

i converted the file from raw and applied some PP. Bellow the same without PP.

The same compression artifacts are present in your "without PP" version.  Are you sure somewhere along in that chain of software to put your photo to the web, it isn't being compressed to heck?

 DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +16 more
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 18,443
Dynamic range on pic no. 5

astone wrote:

Two days ago received A6000 and could not tested it outside because of heavy reining. Today I went to Great Falls and had several shots to test camera with SEL1670Z.

that one looks pretty good. Is that jpeg? What are the settings i.e. aperture/shutter speed/ISO?

thanks.

José

 José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5DS +13 more
OP astone Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

forpetessake wrote:

They all look pretty bad: color, resolution, artifacts. And the question is why did they turn out that way? There is no exif, which doesn't help either.

Here are 2 more without PP. Please let me know what was wrong and I'll fix it. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Alex

 astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,645
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

astone wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

They all look pretty bad: color, resolution, artifacts. And the question is why did they turn out that way? There is no exif, which doesn't help either.

Here are 2 more without PP. Please let me know what was wrong and I'll fix it. Thanks.

Something is wrong with your RAW conversion and JPEG compression.  These last two "without PP" is better than your first "without PP", but somehow you are still losing the great majority of your picture quality.  I see JPEG artifacts (although not as grotesque as the first effort) everywhere.

 DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +16 more
OP astone Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

DtEW wrote:

astone wrote:

DimitriDV wrote:

I see some strange square artifacts, perhaps as a result of post processing?

See for example this 100% crop from the first photo, the squares are clearly visible in the red circle...

100% crop

i converted the file from raw and applied some PP. Bellow the same without PP.

The same compression artifacts are present in your "without PP" version. Are you sure somewhere along in that chain of software to put your photo to the web, it isn't being compressed to heck?

Absolutely not.  Just done conversion in LR5 and placed it here directly from my comp.

-- hide signature --

Alex

 astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
OP astone Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

DtEW wrote:

astone wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

They all look pretty bad: color, resolution, artifacts. And the question is why did they turn out that way? There is no exif, which doesn't help either.

Here are 2 more without PP. Please let me know what was wrong and I'll fix it. Thanks.

Something is wrong with your RAW conversion and JPEG compression. These last two "without PP" is better than your first "without PP", but somehow you are still losing the great majority of your picture quality. I see JPEG artifacts (although not as grotesque as the first effort) everywhere.

I have no slightest idea what it could be. Any professionals here? I'm going to take jpg in the back yard and place it here in 5 min.

-- hide signature --

Alex

 astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
OP astone Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

Here are 2 jpg files, no PP.

and one I placed before but I found it was with 60% compression and now as is.

-- hide signature --

Alex

 astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,645
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

astone wrote:

and one I placed before but I found it was with 60% compression and now as is.

And *that* was the issue.

 DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +16 more
OP astone Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

It looks like I converted raw file with 60% compression and did not see that.  Anyhow here is one repeat with no PP and no compression.

-- hide signature --

Alex

 astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
OP astone Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

DtEW wrote:

astone wrote:

and one I placed before but I found it was with 60% compression and now as is.

And *that* was the issue.

I'm deeply sorry for this confusion. I hope this one is much better than before.

-- hide signature --

Alex

 astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
Hugo600si Contributing Member • Posts: 783
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

astone wrote:

i converted the file from raw and applied some PP. Bellow the same without PP.

Problem here is your compression setting, if I save a 24MPix file from raw to jpeg with average quality and this much detail the file is three times as big (yours is 3.7MB, 100% quality should be over or around 20MB)

Quick question as I'll be picking up one of these lenses tomorrow, how does it handle and balance when shooting?

-- hide signature --

Shamelessly promoting my favourite painters website (my wife's ) and my handiwork:
http://EdithsArt.com and http://EditshArt.nl (Dutch)

 Hugo600si's gear list:Hugo600si's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +11 more
OP astone Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Testing new A6000 + SEL1670Z

Hugo600si wrote:

astone wrote:

i converted the file from raw and applied some PP. Bellow the same without PP.

Problem here is your compression setting, if I save a 24MPix file from raw to jpeg with average quality and this much detail the file is three times as big (yours is 3.7MB, 100% quality should be over or around 20MB)

Quick question as I'll be picking up one of these lenses tomorrow, how does it handle and balance when shooting?

The file size (water) in previous post is about 15MB close what you've said. The camera balance with this lens is OK as far as I'm concerned. I have large hands. No matter what you still hold it from underneath. I like this lens extended to 70 mm FL and I need that extra distance. At the same time my past analysis that I did not use long FL.  That is why option of FL 18-105 and 18-200 were declined. Thank you for your comments.

-- hide signature --

Alex

 astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads