Sold my V3 (but there's more to it)

Started May 2, 2014 | Discussions
OP Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 36,812
Re: Sold my V3 (but there's more to it)

MarsObserver wrote:

Well, you've had a great opportunity to 'put it through its paces', and now, to compare it to some others.

I'm glad you did, and that you chose to share.

Thanks Raist3d!

Thank you for reading what I posted for what it was. As of right now I am pretty on the side of buying and start to sell some of the current equipment I have. I am going to go to the store tomorrow to seize up the full package of system I want. I am including the F1.2 32mm.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your future shares of photos!

Lol ;-) (n/t)
-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

dpr4bb Senior Member • Posts: 1,132
Re: Brand Love, Assessment skills, Selective reading.

Raist3d wrote:

VertigonA380 wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

I have come to discover that one of the biggest hold backs is simply I don't see Nikon caring for the 1 system user. It's like the V3 is a good match for my needs not because they thought about it, but by accident. And they don't seem to care. - that Nikon 1 V1 issue of previewing every picture taken and no firmware upgrade for that- what the hell Nikon?

Again, in the context of spending so much cash, it really gives one pause.

The other thing I do miss is in-camera raw development. It allows me to play with a file in -camera and get an idea what can I do and some sort of instant feedback for exposures. And given the camera has wifi it just makes sense to be able to convert files to share. But I think I can deal with this.

I am struggling to understand why you would give up on a camera so soon. The V3 might be accidently ideal but you say it's a good match for your needs, so why abandon it?

Did you bother reading what I said on this? Maybe you missed on good faith what I said but you will note my main issue boiled down not to the camera, and more about the company with the asking price= that as a system- demands a certain cash investment- and that me still being undecided, I took on the offer of someone of allowing me to potentially save myself the trouble of losing big cash.

I do not believe what I wrote can be characterized as "giving up on the V3".

I have seen your shots and I can tell you haven't gone anywhere near the potential of the camera, not that the camera is so fantastic but more that your images are ordinary at best. And ordinary is a term I am using generously.

I sincerely wonder what is behind such an assessment by you and what your intent really is. Given the context it reads like an attempt to discredit me as a photographer, therefore, discredit somehow the opinion I may have about a photography tool- which you seem to have misinterpreted anyway. It is difficult to comprehend because as far as cameras and brands go at this point- these are mere tools, and I never claimed I fulfilled the potential of the camera.

But, photographic assessments like these are to be taken as seriously as I can see any evidence that you possess such skill to make it- so on a cursory look through your posts here I am not seeing anything that suggests I should take your assessment seriously- but if you do have a good set of photos or awesome portfolio somewhere, I would welcome the link so I can apply the appropriate weight to your assessment.

You may want to note that I started different threads- one with snaps and tests and another with photo graphic attempts. Maybe you confused one with the other or cannot tell the difference. That's ok.

I cannot agree with you, for example, that these Nikon 1 shots I took are "ordinary at best"

And for further reference, here's other photography I have done in relatively recent times from a much wider set of photographs:

As for RAW development why would anyone want to poke around menu's and tiny buttons for RAW processing?

I believe I explained this partially- because it gives a certain play ground to try different ideas. It's also a good way to share (see below) photographs on the spot given the camera WiFI features that work so well, as I have reviewed in another thread.

You might say this because your knowledge of RAW processing is limited but nobody I have come across would want to work this way.

How are you to make such an assessment? How can you tell? Are you even reading the workflow i mentioned of sharing a photograph editing from the camera using WiFi to your phone? Do you understand the type of real world business case this workflow has? Do you have any experience selling photographs that could benefit from this work flow as part of the sale or lack of?

As for instant RAW processing and immediate sharing using wifi, what is the time critical application that you have exactly? Why not just make a custom JPEG setting and use that if time critical sharing is required?

Do you understand the difference between the two workflows? Which one you think is more flexible and lends itself to experimentation? Would you complain if Nikon allowed us to create custom profile curves in -camera without the need for a computer and have to connect/upload/export?

Better yet- do I really have to explain anything to you? You are even missing some rather basic statements I made in my OP and seem to have nor skill nor attitude in properly reading them.

Or are you going to tell me you also need high detail large RAW files of night scenes on the street or for random shots of the mundane? C'mon please, think things through before you make these junk posts.

It seems to me you don't know what you are talking about, bear ill faith because you perceived I shot your favorite toy (which I did not) and have other issues given that last paragraph.

Nobody is forcing you to read anything, so moving forward, please skip my junk posts accordingly. Thanks.

What a classy yet crushing response...

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

Thank you for your interresting V3 reports.

Currently the decision is "made" for me because I have spent a lot of money last week for the most expensive Samsung lens, so I cannot afford nikon-1 anyway.

I looked at advantages and disadvantages of the nikon-1 system, i counted about 5 advantages and 5 disadvantages, but one thing is really, as you wrote: Nikon-1 is a bit a system where Nikon wants to throw stones between the users to let them pay maximum for the honor to use mirrorless instead the holy Nikon DSLRs: The many batteries, the strange external flash, the Non-TTL flash, this model has no EVF that model has no Flash that model has nothing of all but is watersealed..

Many of these strange things are turned into positive of you already own a nikon system and this way can use Nikon DSLR glass, but we both are not in that category

Yup in some ways/agreed.  What makes me frustrated on one end is that the V3 goes with the quiet aspect and on the other neither Sony/Olympus and Panasonic (who is close) doesn't quite either.

I would have loved if that A6000 had an electronic shutter option and put a very nice fast prime on it for night shooting.

MattZisk Contributing Member • Posts: 636

I went street shooting in NY for a total of 17 hours last weekend with the A7 and it's quite loud.  I am thinking the V3 will be much faster and quieter to use.  Yet... I can't seem to get over the fact the V3 is way above what I would want to pay.  I'd even do $700-800 without the bundle.  I already have the 18.5 and 32 I can use and I don't need the viewfinder or grip for my street purposes.

Except when I am using the FT-1, I am running without the grip. I like the size of the V3 without it (the 18.5mm on the V3 is a spectacular small combo).

Nikon really needs to go body only for upgraders.

Scottelly
Scottelly Veteran Member • Posts: 9,464

ambercool wrote:

I went street shooting in NY for a total of 17 hours last weekend with the A7 and it's quite loud. I am thinking the V3 will be much faster and quieter to use. Yet... I can't seem to get over the fact the V3 is way above what I would want to pay. I'd even do $700-800 without the bundle. I already have the 18.5 and 32 I can use and I don't need the viewfinder or grip for my street purposes.

Buy it and sell the extras for 30% off of what Nikon sells them for. Explain in your add that you don't need or want them, and that they are brand new. It might take a while to get them all sold, but you will eventually be able to sell them all. That way the camera will only cost about $800.

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Olympus TG-860 Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +15 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,297

Raist3d wrote:

At the moment I sold I was simply undecided and I felt like since it is a full system switch, it's $2800 USD the way I want it, and it starts looking like Leica or Sony FF money at that point.

Well, good luck finding a Sony FF system for that price, and if you find a Leica FF system for $2800... please make sure to check it's not just a plastic mockup but a real working camera and lenses.

Anyway, I didn't really expected you to stay long with the V3...

Good luck and good bye.

walter g1 Contributing Member • Posts: 527

Raist3d wrote:

At the moment I sold I was simply undecided and I felt like since it is a full system switch, it's $2800 USD the way I want it, and it starts looking like Leica or Sony FF money at that point.

Well, good luck finding a Sony FF system for that price, and if you find a Leica FF system for $2800... please make sure to check it's not just a plastic mockup but a real working camera and lenses.

Good luck and good bye.

With the Sony FF its good luck trying to find parts to fix it if it breaks, or get Sony to give you a time on how long it will take to get fixed.

olyflyer wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Well, good luck finding a Sony FF system for that price,

For $2800 USD? You need to get out of that house

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Full-Frame-Interchangeable-Digital-Camera/dp/B00FRDUZXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399138640&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+a7

That's $1698 USD body only, $2,000 with the kit zoom.

and if you find a Leica FF system for $2800... please make sure to check it's not just a plastic mockup but a real working camera and lenses.

Leica Ttype is solid aluminium, $1850 USD.  Lens is $1750. $800 short but I said it starts to look like...

Ah, you may still be surprised.

Good luck and good bye.

walter g1 wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Good luck and good bye.

With the Sony FF its good luck trying to find parts to fix it if it breaks, or get Sony to give you a time on how long it will take to get fixed.

Yeah, because we all know that Nikon's track record with the D600 has been amazingly solid.  Come on guys. Why be so brand defensive, these are mere tools.

walter g1 Contributing Member • Posts: 527

Nothing to do with what brand it is. If theirs a problem I will list it. I'm not a Nikon guy. Even tho I own and really like my J1.
I have been following threads on the Sony FF and they are having problems getting parts in the US.
I was considering getting one to use with my Legacy glass, but I'm not impressed. A lot of really good glass just doesn't work that well on it.
I had high hopes for this camera, but for me its a no go.

walter g1 wrote:

Nothing to do with what brand it is. If theirs a problem I will list it. I'm not a Nikon guy. Even tho I own and really like my J1.
I have been following threads on the Sony FF and they are having problems getting parts in the US.
I was considering getting one to use with my Legacy glass, but I'm not impressed. A lot of really good glass just doesn't work that well on it.

Apologies, I took your reply in the wrong context. You are being really informational. Thanks for the heads up.  In either case the Sony's out for not having a quiet shutter (one key reason I am looking at V3).

Thanks again.

olyflyer

Raist3d wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Full-Frame-Interchangeable-Digital-Camera/dp/B00FRDUZXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399138640&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+a7

Which zoom did you have in mind? Anyway, that's not going to be a nice system... but at a price much higher than the V3. Apples and orandes in every way.

and if you find a Leica FF system for $2800... please make sure to check it's not just a plastic mockup but a real working camera and lenses.

Leica Ttype is solid aluminium, $1850 USD. Lens is $1750. $800 short but I said it starts to look like...

Leica T is not an FF, but:

• Leica T body (Black or Silver) - £1350
  • Vario-Elmar-T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6 - £1250

I don't know if your prices are the same, but well... maybe $800 is nothing for you, but never the less, that's even further away from the V3 kit. So what are you actually talking about. This thread makes no sense. Have you been drinking or smoking something you should not? I mean, the V3 is expensive enough, but really, to compare it with an FF, even the Sony, is pretty inane.

I don't think so, unless you sober up and wake up from your dream. Of course an FF will beat the V3 in many ways (no surprise for anyone), but not in every way, and definitely only for a considerably higher price, weight and size. Even the Leica T is heavier and larger though it is only an APS. If APS is what you want, there are plenty other alternatives which are much cheaper, and probably considerably better also. Remember that at least 50% of the price is the brand name...

Good luck and good bye.

olyflyer

Raist3d wrote:

walter g1 wrote:

Apologies, I took your reply in the wrong context. You are being really informational. Thanks for the heads up. In either case the Sony's out for not having a quiet shutter (one key reason I am looking at V3).

Just shows that before you start a thread like this you should get some information first.

olyflyer wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

walter g1 wrote:

Apologies, I took your reply in the wrong context. You are being really informational. Thanks for the heads up. In either case the Sony's out for not having a quiet shutter (one key reason I am looking at V3).

Just shows that before you start a thread like this you should get some information first.

Eh, dude, chill. It was a simple mistake.

olyflyer wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Which zoom did you have in mind? Anyway, that's not going to be a nice system... but at a price much higher than the V3. Apples and orandes in every way.

Well, yes, but that was never quite the point. I was just making a financial comparison, obviously not a feature/tool comparison.  Like saying "ok this starts to look like buying a Ferrari" kinda gist (exaggerated more).

Leica Ttype is solid aluminium, $1850 USD. Lens is $1750. $800 short but I said it starts to look like...

Leica T is not an FF, but:

No but that's irrelevant.  That was never the point.

• Leica T body (Black or Silver) - £1350
  • Vario-Elmar-T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6 - £1250

I don't know if your prices are the same, but well... maybe $800 is nothing for you, but never the less, that's even further away from the V3 kit. So what are you actually talking about. This thread makes no sense. Have you been drinking or smoking something you should not?

Wow, what got into you? Dude, seriously, chill. This was supposed to be a light post/thread and there are some light analogies.  Jeez, don't tell me  you are also a brand lover, I think higher of you than that!

I mean, the V3 is expensive enough, but really, to compare it with an FF, even the Sony, is pretty inane.

I don't think so, unless you sober up and wake up from your dream. Of course an FF will beat the V3 in many ways (no surprise for anyone), but not in every way, and definitely only for a considerably higher price, weight and size. Even the Leica T is heavier and larger though it is only an APS. If APS is what you want, there are plenty other alternatives which are much cheaper, and probably considerably better also. Remember that at least 50% of the price is the brand name...

I am not even pretending to buy the Sony or the Leica. I thought it was clear it was not a match and I was merely quantifying a money by comparison.  Seriously man, chill and read it again. You are better than this

Good luck and good bye.

photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,969

Raist3d wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

walter g1 wrote:

Eh, dude, chill. It was a simple mistake.

That's the way it is with some guys. You've got to take the bad with the bad.

GXRuser Contributing Member • Posts: 656

MattZisk wrote:

I went street shooting in NY for a total of 17 hours last weekend with the A7 and it's quite loud. I am thinking the V3 will be much faster and quieter to use. Yet... I can't seem to get over the fact the V3 is way above what I would want to pay. I'd even do $700-800 without the bundle. I already have the 18.5 and 32 I can use and I don't need the viewfinder or grip for my street purposes.

Except when I am using the FT-1, I am running without the grip. I like the size of the V3 without it (the 18.5mm on the V3 is a spectacular small combo).

Nikon really needs to go body only for upgraders.

Yes!

Kevin Omura
Kevin Omura Senior Member • Posts: 2,222

Raist, problem then is that your opening post is confusing since you referenced said systems so since this is the internet vs a couple of guys sitting in the pub talking about gear over a cold one. We take things a face value hence the comments made, I guess there is no avoiding the hard core fans however as I said as this thread continues to evolve st least we are starting to get a better idea of what you are trying to say.

Personally, I bought into the Nikon 1 'system' on the V1 fire sale and at the time I kept in the back of my mind that I could be buying into a dead end system so I looked at what was available, how the camera worked and what accessories I would want. The only missing link at the time was a longer zoom which got solved with the addition of this new long zoom. Then the V2 got blown out along with the 30-110 so I put together two two lens kits. Then Henrys blew out the 10-100 so I grabbed one of these so other than a fast prime and that long zoom in my kit I am all set. Even if Nikon killed this system today I would have no regrets and you can bet I would pick up an AW and V3 if they got blown out as well.

but yes at full pop retail I would find it hard to justify a V3 right now and if it never got blown out it would not be the end of the world because I quite enjoy shooting with the V2.

Kevin Omura's gear list:Kevin Omura's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot G6 +64 more

Thanks Kevin for the thoughts but I going to have to politely disagree a bit on the confusion - a couple of the "problem posters" clearly had ample context from my ongoing posts on the nikon v3 and its rather easy to see some attitudes that go well beyond a simple misunderstanding.

The good news is that like usual, when you ask for photos and portfolios all of a sudden not much shows up which makes it easy to not put too much weight if  any on some commentary.  A lot of barking by people acting too defensively who have trouble understanding different requirements and reading and not much to show for it.

Fortunately there's also good people who decided to take what was written for what it is and not a personal affront, and use the information as impressions someone had from a very different perspective- a potential new Nikon 1 owner

As as for the v2 that sure looks like a good value if you like the body. I prefer more compact and better built buttons in the back- but looks like Canada has a great V2 deal.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads