Canon Pro-100 and Kirkland (Costco) Glossy Photo Paper

Started May 1, 2014 | Discussions
JSB Regular Member • Posts: 337
Canon Pro-100 and Kirkland (Costco) Glossy Photo Paper

Been printing within Photoshop from my new Canon Pro-100 using Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper.  I'm using the Canon profile listed as:

Canon Pro-100 <GL><PP> 1/2 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold

I know this isn't the correct profile for this paper but, I have to say, the print is dead, bang on with what I see on the monitor.  I'm impressed.

Jim Hess Veteran Member • Posts: 5,438
Re: Canon Pro-100 and Kirkland (Costco) Glossy Photo Paper

If the profile produces good results, the name of the profile doesn't matter.

Apotheker Regular Member • Posts: 494

The other way round: similar papers willl produce similar results with the same profile.

-- hide signature --

Crazy about printing, profiling and refilling printer cartridges

l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,093

JSB wrote:
Been printing within Photoshop from my new Canon Pro-100 using Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper.

Costco Kirkland used to be my "go-to" paper for when I was making better prints, I think it works out to about 15¢ per letter size sheet, before tax. Good deal on nice paper.

However, if you watch the Canon web-site, there is pretty regularly "buy one, get two free" on a varying mix of papers. If you use the 50% discount for registering a Pixma printer, you end up with the equivalent of "buy one, get five free", at about 12¢ per letter size sheet. The MSPR is about 70¢ per sheet (except more expensive Platinum). The discount has been good until the middle of the following month.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/buy-one-get-four-free-when-you-buy-select-canon-photo-paper

nothing today ... back in late 2013, there was an epic deal on "buy one, get four free" that worked out to about 7¢ per sheet.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +27 more
ChicagoRob
ChicagoRob Contributing Member • Posts: 874

l_d_allan wrote:

nothing today ... back in late 2013, there was an epic deal on "buy one, get four free" that worked out to about 7¢ per sheet.

I picked up that deal last year on Pro Platinum. Killer paper, BTW.

Rob

Raymondo17 Forum Member • Posts: 52

>Been printing within Photoshop from my new Canon Pro-100 using Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper. I'm using the Canon profile listed as:

Canon Pro-100 <GL><PP> 1/2 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold<

Where do you find this Canon Glossy&Gold profile?  I've downloaded the latest driver software and the closest thing I see that shows up in Photoshop's print dialog box is "Photo Paper Plus Glossy II" and "Photo Paper Plus Glossy II A."

Raymondo17's gear list:Raymondo17's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
garryr Contributing Member • Posts: 554

Raymondo17 wrote:

>Been printing within Photoshop from my new Canon Pro-100 using Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper. I'm using the Canon profile listed as:

Where do you find this Canon Glossy&Gold profile? I've downloaded the latest driver software and the closest thing I see that shows up in Photoshop's print dialog box is "Photo Paper Plus Glossy II" and "Photo Paper Plus Glossy II A."

This is a 6 year old thread. The names could have changed since then.

-- hide signature --

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” -A. ADAMS

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,836

Raymondo17 wrote:

Where do you find this Canon Glossy&Gold profile? I've downloaded the latest driver software and the closest thing I see that shows up in Photoshop's print dialog box is "Photo Paper Plus Glossy II" and "Photo Paper Plus Glossy II A."

Because it's 'complicated'.

The design of the ICC profile format allows for a 'description' field inside the file. *SOME* imaging apps use the actual filename (that you can see), and other apps use this internal description field. The file name does NOT have to be the same as the description field.

That is what you're seeing. The Canon profile is 'Canon PRO-100 series GL1.icc' and if you examine the file (on a Mac, you'd use the Colorsync utility), you'd see that the internal description for that is 'Canon Pro-100 <GL><PP> 1/2 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold'

-- hide signature --

Online civility: Before you press 'Post', ask yourself if you'd say that to someone face to face.

technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,276

The largest differences between Costco Glossy and, for instance Canon Prem. Glossy is the former has far more OBAs. Profiles made with M2 are a lot closer to each other than profiles made with M0 or M1 though the differences show up most strongly using Abs. Col. Other intents are fairly close even with the large OBA differences.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads