Nikon D800 to FujiFilm X-T1 - Worth it?

Started May 1, 2014 | Discussions
keerf00 Forum Member • Posts: 62
Nikon D800 to FujiFilm X-T1 - Worth it?

Hi All,

Over the summer, I picked up a Nikon D800. I had set aside the money, got some decent glass, and jumped into the full frame market. I will freely admit the camera is more then I know, but I wanted something that would last and I would grow with.

Lately I've had my eye on mirrorless cameras, and also the size of them. My hands are not overly steady at times which doesn't always play well with the D800. I work through it though with tuning the ISO and fstop to meet my needs.

What I'm curious about is this, there is a part of me that is considering moving to the Fuji and getting rid of my Nikon (mainly cause I can trade them in). I really can't afford a new system without trading in the old one. Is it worth making the jump to something like that? Or am I just selling myself short by giving up on the D800.

I truly love the camera, but I wonder if it might be to much for me at times, though I have learned a good deal about myself as a photographer with it.

Thanks for any input.

Terry

keerf00's gear list:keerf00's gear list
Nikon D810 Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tony Bonanno Contributing Member • Posts: 961
Re: Nikon D800 to FujiFilm X-T1 - Worth it?

Whether it is "worth it" depends on your needs and intended applications.

I have both systems. D800 and 800E and full set of lenses and lighting, etc. I also have the X-T1 and X-E2 with four Fuji lenses. I really like both systems a lot, BUT, each system has it's "ideal" applications. For my commercial work, for projects that I know will require very large prints or the potential for serious creative cropping (such as fast moving action), and/or where you really must have reliable and flexible on camera lighting, good focus tracking of moving objects, a large selection of glass, etc., then the Nikon system is the choice. As good as the Fuji system is, it is not in the same league as the Nikon when you have the above requirements (at least not yet).  However, if your are shooting primarily for yourself, then maybe those requirements are non-issues.

The Fuji system has matured tremendously the past couple of years. The glass is very good, the system is lightweight and ideal for travel, has very good image quality (for a 16 MP APS sensor), and provides many features including weather sealing (X-T1), the best electronic viewfinder I've seen to date (X-T1), fast AF, excellent AF in low light, built in wi-fi (X-T1), is fairly quiet, and is relatively unobtrusive for street photography, etc. There are flash units also available including a small unit included with the camera. All in all, it is a full featured, high quality "general" purpose camera system that is becoming more robust as Fuji rolls out accessories and new glass. Fuji also listens to their customers and frequently releases firmware updates to improve performance. There is no question that the system can satisfy many photographers' requirements elegantly.

I use the Fuji system for almost all of my travel and personal photography when I'm not shooting for a client.

I suspect based on your original post that you would be happy with a Fuji system.  It is a system that is very much a "photographer's tool" with its manual dials, aperture rings, etc.  It is a good system to perfect your skills with and a system that you are not likely to outgrow (at least not anytime soon).  The only downside I see is the financial loss trading in the Nikon gear.

Anyway, just my opinion.. YMMV :-).

Oh, did I mention the really LIGHT WEIGHT AND MUCH SMALLER SIZE of the Fuji System :-).

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP Professional Member
www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D5 Leica M10 Nikon D850 +2 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 8,594

I was going to suggest a D7100, it looks like you already have one. I really don't think the fuiji would have anything on a D7100, except a few ounces. Considering you already have Nikon glass?

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Chikubi
Chikubi Senior Member • Posts: 1,622

I would have to second Tony's reply above. He very elegantly explained the pros and cons of both systems and I don't think I could do a better job. In my case, I own a D3 and an X-T1 and his experience mirrors my own findings.

The only thing I might add is that in some ways the X-T1 could be a more difficult camera to use if you're not totally polished on your photo skills and concepts. I say this because it's a camera that doesn't hold your hand in any way and puts the total responsibilty for results soundly on your own shoulders. In that sense, it's no different than my D3 and similar cameras, but I mention it only because you mentioned that you felt the D800 may be over your head sometimes. It's not that it's a difficult camera to use per se - it's actually rather simple and to the point mostly, but that simplicity also means no safety net or guidance if you get lost in it.

Maybe, if possible, you might think about renting one first and seeing if you get on with it OK before making the jump.

sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717

Just a thought, but I own a D800E, a Df and a X-T1. I'm not so much a fan of the X-T1 as I am of the Fuji lenses, which are excellent as others have said. I don't think you can get better in terms of lenses designed for APS-C sensors. I have mixed feelings about the X-T1 itself. This is probably because i owned the Df first, but I can't help feeling that the X-T1 is a poor copy of the Df with an EVF instead of an optical VF. Oddly I far preferred the X-Pro1 to the X-T1 (I may even sell the X-T1 and buy a second hand X-Pro1, just to use the glass). I actually wonder if the Df was conceived or revived as a response to higher end mirrorless cameras rather than being intended to compete with other DSLRs.

Suffice it to say I prefer the Df to the X-T1. You may find that swapping your D800 for a Df is a move that would help you keep your glass and minimise losses while maintaining most capability. For all those who say there isn't a real different between the D800 and the Df, well, they are wrong, there's a big difference in hand.

keerf00 wrote:

Hi All,

Over the summer, I picked up a Nikon D800. I had set aside the money, got some decent glass, and jumped into the full frame market. I will freely admit the camera is more then I know, but I wanted something that would last and I would grow with.

Lately I've had my eye on mirrorless cameras, and also the size of them. My hands are not overly steady at times which doesn't always play well with the D800. I work through it though with tuning the ISO and fstop to meet my needs.

What I'm curious about is this, there is a part of me that is considering moving to the Fuji and getting rid of my Nikon (mainly cause I can trade them in). I really can't afford a new system without trading in the old one. Is it worth making the jump to something like that? Or am I just selling myself short by giving up on the D800.

I truly love the camera, but I wonder if it might be to much for me at times, though I have learned a good deal about myself as a photographer with it.

Thanks for any input.

Terry

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
InTheMist
InTheMist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078
D800 User's Opinion

I had a brief love-affair with the X100s.  Everything about them feel slow: slow to start, slow to focus, slow to capture an image - SLOW.  Images are nice and the colors are beautiful tho!

It's not an SLR.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Nikon Df Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D810 Nikon 1 J5 +18 more
Apollo18
Apollo18 Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

keerf00 wrote:

Hi All,

Over the summer, I picked up a Nikon D800. I had set aside the money, got some decent glass, and jumped into the full frame market. I will freely admit the camera is more then I know, but I wanted something that would last and I would grow with.

Thanks for any input.

Terry

Sounds like a nasty case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

I recommend you slow down and just use what you have for awhile before switching again so soon. Who's to say you wont want to sell the X-T1 too by xmas?

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +3 more
turbsy
turbsy Contributing Member • Posts: 878

keerf00 wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for any input.

Terry

The X-T1 is a nice small Mirrorless camera but it's not really in the same league as the D800.  It's only advantage would be size.  If that's your concern and you just don't use the D800 because of its size then you might as well get rid of it.  It would be a substantial hit in IQ though.  There is nothing available that compares to the IQ of the D800 other then the Sony A7r.

turbsy's gear list:turbsy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D800 Nikon D300 Nikon D50 Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +11 more
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 11,343
Re: D800 User's Opinion

InTheMist wrote:

I had a brief love-affair with the X100s. Everything about them feel slow: slow to start, slow to focus, slow to capture an image - SLOW. Images are nice and the colors are beautiful tho!

It's not an SLR.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

Things move on. The XT1 is much faster all round (switch on, preview and focusing).

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 11,343
^^^what he said....

Tony Bonanno wrote:

Whether it is "worth it" depends on your needs and intended applications.

I have both systems. D800 and 800E and full set of lenses and lighting, etc. I also have the X-T1 and X-E2 with four Fuji lenses. I really like both systems a lot, BUT, each system has it's "ideal" applications. For my commercial work, for projects that I know will require very large prints or the potential for serious creative cropping (such as fast moving action), and/or where you really must have reliable and flexible on camera lighting, good focus tracking of moving objects, a large selection of glass, etc., then the Nikon system is the choice. As good as the Fuji system is, it is not in the same league as the Nikon when you have the above requirements (at least not yet). However, if your are shooting primarily for yourself, then maybe those requirements are non-issues.

The Fuji system has matured tremendously the past couple of years. The glass is very good, the system is lightweight and ideal for travel, has very good image quality (for a 16 MP APS sensor), and provides many features including weather sealing (X-T1), the best electronic viewfinder I've seen to date (X-T1), fast AF, excellent AF in low light, built in wi-fi (X-T1), is fairly quiet, and is relatively unobtrusive for street photography, etc. There are flash units also available including a small unit included with the camera. All in all, it is a full featured, high quality "general" purpose camera system that is becoming more robust as Fuji rolls out accessories and new glass. Fuji also listens to their customers and frequently releases firmware updates to improve performance. There is no question that the system can satisfy many photographers' requirements elegantly.

I use the Fuji system for almost all of my travel and personal photography when I'm not shooting for a client.

I suspect based on your original post that you would be happy with a Fuji system. It is a system that is very much a "photographer's tool" with its manual dials, aperture rings, etc. It is a good system to perfect your skills with and a system that you are not likely to outgrow (at least not anytime soon). The only downside I see is the financial loss trading in the Nikon gear.

Anyway, just my opinion.. YMMV :-).

Oh, did I mention the really LIGHT WEIGHT AND MUCH SMALLER SIZE of the Fuji System :-).

I like the D800 (I also own and Xpro1 and XE1) because it's very flexible, it has a great flash system (brilliant for outdoor portfolio shots with remote flash) and I can make very large prints (up to 48") for very detailed landscapes. It produces very consistent results and RAW files with masses of detail and huge latitude for post processing. It's a real pro camera for an enthusiast price. What's not to like?

Thing is it's a tool. It's my truck, for hauling and towing, not for commuting or having fun on back lanes. It's heavy (esp with decent lenses, which in Nikon's case nearly always means pro-grade) and extremely complex. You COULD use one as your only car, but for simple transport its not really much fun.

Fuji's cameras are fun. Light, simple (direct controls make more sense and there are far fewer options) EVFs are WYSIWYG which takes a lot of the guesswork out of exposure, and there is no need to calibrate your lenses. Focus accuracy is amazing if you are used to a DSLR. My XE1 with the pancake 27 or 18-55 is with me every time I leave the house, tucked in the corner of my satchel in a padded insert along with my tablet and daily bits and pieces. As a result I can just do a spot of shooting on the way home from work, or when out with friends.

Would I take my D800 kit on a European vacation by low-cost airline? Are you kidding? Would I take it out for a spot of street shooting around London? Only if I want my subjects to hide their faces or duck into shops when I point it at them.

The Fujis get a lot more use. People like the look of them (XE1 has brown leather case and people even ask me what it is, and if I can take their pic). They are quiet, unthreatening and produce really nice images with great colour. Are they objectively as good as D800 images? Not if you level the playing field (tripod, test target, etc.) but if you are just working the street it's easier to get good images with a light simple camera, and don't underestimate how much of the guesswork having an EVF takes out of exposure - all WYSIWYG and you can even zoom in to check focus. But if you seldom print large (A2 or bigger) will you actually notice any difference? Likely not.

XT1 is a great general purpose system with great optics and very nice (subjective) IQ. It will make any hobby photographer very happy. Ideally, you would have both systems - the fun one and the workhorse one - but if you can only afford one and you are not making money from it, always get the fun one first.

With the trade in you can get a really nice range of Fuji glass.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
VertigonA380 Senior Member • Posts: 1,133

The XT-1 is a great camera with all the modern features most would need. Glass options aren't as extensive as F mount but some qualtiy there non the less.

Have you considered something like a Nikon V2 or V3 body? This way you could keep everything, buy either camera and get an FT-1 adapter and use all your expensive glass.

I have the D800E and it makes magic. I had a V2 and the x2.7 crop factor comes in handy and with its native lenses is very portable.

OP keerf00 Forum Member • Posts: 62

Hi All,

Thanks for the help. I decided to stick with what I have I believe. I think I had a moment of doubt with my camera and such.

That doubt has since passed.

Thanks once again!

keerf00's gear list:keerf00's gear list
Nikon D810 Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD
j tokarz Regular Member • Posts: 395

I have both and I think the d800 is the best camera I have ever used and owned.

DigitalJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,459

I have a D800. On Tuesday, that will change to I had a D800. I also have bodies ranging from an IR-converted D200, a D300 and a D700. A more than reasonable assortment (collection is too kind a word) of Nikon film bodies and a good assortment of MF, AF DX and FX G Nikon glass.

The D800 is simply more camera than I need. It is a wonderful image-maker and I did apologize to it as I packed it up the other night. But it is just too much. I have never outshot any camera I have ever owned. I absolutely love my D700 and don't see myself ever parting with it. The person getting the D800 is getting a great deal on a sweet camera; he will shoot the living daylights out of it and run it like the thoroughbred it is.

That said, I fell in love with the X-T1 the first time it was placed in my hands. My back isn't what it used to be. Hell nothing is what it used to be!!!! I will carry the little Fuji daily; something I could never say for any of my Nikons.

As far as a case of GAS is concerned, I don't think so. If it was, I would have been all over the Canon 1DX that a friend has. When you let loose a burst from that bad boy, it's amazing! More amazing is the ergonomics seemed right. A true miracle in it's own right!!

With the help of an adapter, I will continue to use my Nikon glass along with that from Fuji.

DigitalJay's gear list:DigitalJay's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E2
bocajrs
bocajrs Senior Member • Posts: 1,970

I'm enjoying shooting my D800 with 28/50 1.8g & 70-200 F4 lenses. Could be slightly quicker, but for my style of shooting, I feel it can handle anything.

I'll probably run it into the ground.

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon 1 J4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
Wah Chan Regular Member • Posts: 116

DigitalJay wrote:

I have a D800. On Tuesday, that will change to I had a D800. I also have bodies ranging from an IR-converted D200, a D300 and a D700. A more than reasonable assortment (collection is too kind a word) of Nikon film bodies and a good assortment of MF, AF DX and FX G Nikon glass.

The D800 is simply more camera than I need. It is a wonderful image-maker and I did apologize to it as I packed it up the other night. But it is just too much. I have never outshot any camera I have ever owned. I absolutely love my D700 and don't see myself ever parting with it. The person getting the D800 is getting a great deal on a sweet camera; he will shoot the living daylights out of it and run it like the thoroughbred it is.

That said, I fell in love with the X-T1 the first time it was placed in my hands. My back isn't what it used to be. Hell nothing is what it used to be!!!! I will carry the little Fuji daily; something I could never say for any of my Nikons.

As far as a case of GAS is concerned, I don't think so. If it was, I would have been all over the Canon 1DX that a friend has. When you let loose a burst from that bad boy, it's amazing! More amazing is the ergonomics seemed right. A true miracle in it's own right!!

With the help of an adapter, I will continue to use my Nikon glass along with that from Fuji.

Yes, I love my Fuji !!!! I used 85 % more than my Nikon DSLR cameras.

The Fuji XT-1 improves a ton of refinements to date .I owned an XE-1 prior to this, and liked it a lot Simply a fantastic camera, one of the best of Fuji X system. The Fuji Xt-1 Camera with the 18-55 mm kit lens as an alternative to a big SLR for walk-around travel photography.This camera exceeds my expectations.

This is the camera takes great pictures, accompanies high quality interchangeable lenses and reasonable on price. It's not a sports action camera, and it won't totally replace my full frame DSLR Nikon D800,D700, D3s for most professional photography. But there is just something about it that makes me want to go out and shoot with my family and friends and other slower paced photography.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads