A6000 Charging battery

Started May 1, 2014 | Discussions
marsface Forum Member • Posts: 71
A6000 Charging battery

Just got my a6000. One question for those of you who have already used this camera:

Can I use a6000 while it's charging the battery? The manual says "turn off camera when connecting the camera to wall outlet". So I'm not sure whether I can still use camera while charging the battery, e.g. accessing the setup, reviewing the photos, and etc.

I don't quite like to connect the camera to charge. I'd prefer to have a stand-along battery charger.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 5,245
Re: A6000 Charging battery

Recommend you get the separate charger, which came with some earlier models. Sony charges an excessive amount for the charger, but maybe you can find one at a decent price on Ebay or Amazon.  Some claim the charger works faster than in-camera charging, but both are pretty slow.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 34,882

I believe no - I haven't actually tried it for the purposes of charging directly in the camera - but anytime you attach the USB to the camera, it goes into one of two modes - and neither gives you the ability to shoot while connected - so I'm thinking that might also be the case when charging.

I will always be using my external charger to charge batteries - in-camera charging definitely could be convenient for specialty situations, like needing to top off a charge from a computer, or car, where the charger won't work...but generally I charge my batteries at home before I go shooting, and that's nicer and easier to do with an external charger.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,157

marsface wrote:

Just got my a6000. One question for those of you who have already used this camera:

Can I use a6000 while it's charging the battery? The manual says "turn off camera when connecting the camera to wall outlet". So I'm not sure whether I can still use camera while charging the battery, e.g. accessing the setup, reviewing the photos, and etc.

I don't quite like to connect the camera to charge. I'd prefer to have a stand-along battery charger.

No, the camera won't function as a camera if it is plugged into USB, as far as I know.

The only ILC camera I know of that can charge over USB and be operational at the same time is the Samsung NX30.

I actually like ability to charge over USB, but would like an external battery charger as well.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
ryan92084
ryan92084 Contributing Member • Posts: 521

marsface wrote:

Can I use a6000 while it's charging the battery?

as others have stated no

The manual says "turn off camera when connecting the camera to wall outlet". So I'm not sure whether I can still use camera while charging the battery, e.g. accessing the setup, reviewing the photos, and etc.

If you turn the camera on while plugged into an active USB nothing is accessible in camera.

Sony has an official charger but its fairly pricey.  If you are in a location they are available it is recommended you pick up the Wasabi brand pack of 2 batteries and a charger.  It is cheaper than the Sony charger and the 2 batteries are pretty close to the same quality as the Sony brand.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
BoatGuy Regular Member • Posts: 157

ryan92084 wrote:

If you are in a location they are available it is recommended you pick up the Wasabi brand pack of 2 batteries and a charger. It is cheaper than the Sony charger and the 2 batteries are pretty close to the same quality as the Sony brand.

+1 on Wasabi.

-- hide signature --

Be here now, be someplace else later.
http://www.newmorning.info/page41/page41.html

BoatGuy's gear list:BoatGuy's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads