POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Started May 1, 2014 | Polls
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 3,587
POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
1

How often do you shoot raw images (including raw+jpeg) rather than jpeg alone?

If your use of raw varies with the type of camera you are using, then please answer this poll for your use of Panasonic compact cameras only.

I have put this poll in the Micro Four Thirds forum also to see how much difference there is.

POLL
I use raw (or raw+jpeg) all or almost all the time.
48.6% 72  votes
I use raw (or raw+jpeg) most of the time, but shoot jpeg only quite a lot too.
6.8% 10  votes
I use jpeg only most of the time, but sometimes shoot raw.
22.3% 33  votes
I never use raw.
22.3% 33  votes
Don't know.
0.0% 0  votes
  Show results
OP Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 3,587
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

morepix
morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 9,078
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Tom Axford wrote:

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

Are you looking for support for your own habits?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

 morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X100F Olympus OM-D E-M10
Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,029
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
1

Tom Axford wrote:

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

I never use 'raw' - it's pointless.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
1

RAW does protect you from white balance errors from my experience. If you take a picture outdoors in Tungsten WB in a jpeg by accident you are pretty stuffed. For shadow details and highlights jpeg's are much more recoverable than the RAW crowd would have you believe. So if I am taking a really important picture I use RAW as a precaution.

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

I never use 'raw' - it's pointless.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

OP Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 3,587
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

morepix wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

Are you looking for support for your own habits?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

David,

You're a cynic! 

In fact, I almost always use raw myself, but I do know many photographers who never use raw, but quite possibly they are not users of this website, or maybe they just read the site but have never bothered to register (and so cannot vote).

Tom.

OP Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 3,587
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
1

Erik Ohlson wrote:

I never use 'raw' - it's pointless.

Erik,

I respect your opinions and nine times out of ten I agree with you, but on this point I disagree!

However, I would concede that it makes less difference than most proponents of raw claim.

Tom.

wolfd Senior Member • Posts: 1,262
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

I never use 'raw' - it's pointless.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Agreed !!

 wolfd's gear list:wolfd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) +6 more
phototransformations
phototransformations Senior Member • Posts: 2,833
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
1

Tom Axford wrote:

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

I never use 'raw' - it's pointless.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

I always shoot RAW+JPEG. To shoot only JPEG, given the advantages of RAW for white balance, dynamic range, and high ISO noise handling, as well as more bits for creative PP, as well as the low cost of storage, seems ... well ... pointless. But then, in my film days I preferred shooting negative film to slides for somewhat similar reasons. Different strokes for different folks.

 phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +24 more
nicodimus22
nicodimus22 Senior Member • Posts: 2,745
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
1

I never personally shoot JPEG, although I'm not going to disparage people who do. I would not choose to automatically downgrade the quality of every image I took, even if it was only a minor downgrade. I have a 1440p monitor now, and I will have a 4K monitor in a couple of years...I can see every little artifact that shooting JPEG produces. I don't mind spending a few minutes processing my images for the absolute best result (and honestly, once you get some pre-sets made and you batch process, it doesn't require a ton of manual processing and is fairly quick.)

Where RAW really shines though, is when something goes wrong. I don't care if you've been taking photos for 50 years, you are still going to make mistakes and/or be in some situations with challenging lighting. When that happens, RAW will often let you salvage an image that you'd have to delete if you only shot JPEG, especially when it comes to white or black clipping. My mom recently went to Hawaii, and sent me several pictures to "fix" but I was unable to do so because the blown out whites in her JPEGs were permanently white. That may or may not have been the case if she had shot RAW, depending on how bad the overexposure was.

Despite my preference, I can see two perfectly legit reasons to shoot JPEG:

1) You are not the type to obsess over image quality. You don't want to be bothered with post-processing, because you could spend that time in the field taking more photos or doing something else. You just want a decent quality image that you can quickly turn around and stick on Facebook or Flickr.

2) You shoot fast-moving subjects in burst mode, and it's the only way you could obtain certain shots at all. If you shot RAW, you might completely miss that shot, because the camera takes more time to write the larger file to your card.

-- hide signature --

"If I handed my 5-year old daughter my iPhone and asked her to take a picture of that, would your photo look any different from hers?" -Scott Kelby

 nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +17 more
Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,029
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
1

Greynerd wrote:

RAW does protect you from white balance errors from my experience. If you take a picture outdoors in Tungsten WB in a jpeg by accident you are pretty stuffed. For shadow details and highlights jpeg's are much more recoverable than the RAW crowd would have you believe. So if I am taking a really important picture I use RAW as a precaution.

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

I never use 'raw' - it's pointless.

,wow,

I am moved to wonder why one would be using "Tungsten WB"  and thus wind up inadvertently using it outdoors. But of course, one's mileage may vary  

I always use Auto WB and ever only have WB problems when several different light sources clash - but even then, it often makes a nice effect.

In the rare event that I want to change the results in the whole - or part of, an image, PSE's color controls do the job.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Spider1943 Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Greynerd wrote:

RAW does protect you from white balance errors from my experience. If you take a picture outdoors in Tungsten WB in a jpeg by accident you are pretty stuffed. For shadow details and highlights jpeg's are much more recoverable than the RAW crowd would have you believe. So if I am taking a really important picture I use RAW as a precaution.

I can open any jpeg as a RAW image in PSE or PS and adjust it like an original RAW.

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

I never use 'raw' - it's pointless.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,029
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
1

Spider1943 wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

RAW does protect you from white balance errors from my experience. If you take a picture outdoors in Tungsten WB in a jpeg by accident you are pretty stuffed. For shadow details and highlights jpeg's are much more recoverable than the RAW crowd would have you believe. So if I am taking a really important picture I use RAW as a precaution.

I can open any jpeg as a RAW image in PSE or PS and adjust it like an original RAW.

Precisely.

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

I never use 'raw' - it's pointless.

Although if you "expose for the highlights and develop ("PP") for the shadows", simple PSE controls are ALL you need.

I've read reams of arguement on this subject on this forum for years and have yet to see convincing evidence that raw is more than a "cool" sounding word, with even close to a propery exposed image not exposed for the midtones as iA mode would expose it - and rarely even then is there a significant advantage to justify waiting for the camera to load the image into the card.

But, please, do it the way it makes you feel comfortable.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

dbmodernimage Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

I tend to shoot Raw +JPEG  with my LX5 and am limited to JPEG only with my FZ48. I select  a basic JPEG at around 4.5 mp on my LX5 because I use that file to edit (using Snapseed) and store on my IPad for either uploading or viewing on the IPad . I save the Raw file via my laptop to an external drive ready when I want to start processing for printing.

My FZ48 cannot shoot Raw so I'm limited to JPEG only and I save them all on the  external drive and import only a few on the IPad. I don't  really use the FZ  very much  except when I need the extra reach as I find the LX and one of my CSCs cover my needs and then I do shoot Raw + JPEG .

ysal
ysal Veteran Member • Posts: 8,757
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

I never shoot in RAW because I'm almost always in burst mode because my favorite subjects tend to move fast (birds and insects).  But I do plan to force myself to start.

-- hide signature --

yuki

 ysal's gear list:ysal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 80D
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 10,825
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

ysal wrote:

I never shoot in RAW because I'm almost always in burst mode because my favorite subjects tend to move fast (birds and insects). But I do plan to force myself to start.

-- hide signature --

yuki

Yuki,

I know the FZ200 will burst to .RW2 in Raw-only mode.  Perhaps the 150 will also.

 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Hatstand Senior Member • Posts: 1,487
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

sherman_levine wrote:

Yuki,

I know the FZ200 will burst to .RW2 in Raw-only mode. Perhaps the 150 will also.

Yes. But the performance hit, and buffer clearing delays (during which you can't shoot again)... may make it a non-starter. It did for me.

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 10,825
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Hatstand wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

Yuki,

I know the FZ200 will burst to .RW2 in Raw-only mode. Perhaps the 150 will also.

Yes. But the performance hit, and buffer clearing delays (during which you can't shoot again)... may make it a non-starter. It did for me.

At least with the 70, saving Raw only (vs Raw+JPG) seems more tolerable in that regard.

 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Timj351
Timj351 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,109
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Yeah, what Nicodimuss said.

-Tim

 Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
phototransformations
phototransformations Senior Member • Posts: 2,833
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

I never shoot in RAW because I'm almost always in burst mode because my favorite subjects tend to move fast (birds and insects).  But I do plan to force myself to start.

-- hide signature --

yuki

Just did a quick experiment with my FZ200 and burst mode at 12fps. It seems to shoot 12 and then stop regardless of the file format, then pause for a while before I can shoot another 12. When I shoot at 5fps, it fires off a few shots at full speed and then slows down. With JPEG it maintains about a shot/sec. With RAW, about a shot every 2 seconds. Anybody have a more detailed account of how it behaves with different file formats at different nominal burst rates?

 phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads