Some old Canon 10D images!

Started May 1, 2014 | Discussions
Henry Louey Regular Member • Posts: 126
Some old Canon 10D images!

I see a lot of new photographers wanting to buy the latest and greatest but if your starting out do you think a top of the line camera is going to give you great images?

I started thinking about this as i found a DVD of old images from 2003 taken with a Canon 10D and 28-135mm lens. The 10D was a whopping 6Mp. Less than every single camera phone on the market today

Given limited budget would you be better off investing in a past generation body and spend the remaining dollars of the best lenses possible?

BTW I have printed these up as 8x12" and they look pretty good still!

Canon EOS 10D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,085
Re: Some old Canon 10D images!

The photos look great, Henry.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/tags/22314
John

gnath11 Regular Member • Posts: 101

Henry,

Good photography!

OP Henry Louey Regular Member • Posts: 126

gnath11 wrote:

Henry,

Good photography!

Considering I had no idea what I was doing 11 years ago I think I did ok

Fairly sure the camera was in P mode based on the EXIF data as I would never shoot with those settings now

Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,250

That was my initiation to digital photography 10D + 28-135! Coming from Canon F1N + AE1P it was a huge leap to improve my photography. Like you I have A3+ prints from the 10D and there is very little difference from a normal viewing distance from prints I made with newer cameras.

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +11 more
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,121

Nice shots. My first DSLR was the 300D, which had the same sensor as the 10D. I have two 30" X 20" posters on my walls from that camera.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +16 more
dwalby Veteran Member • Posts: 5,250

In good light the 10D performs perfectly well, and I too find the 6MP adequate for many applications.  I wish the newer cameras hadn't gotten into the MP race, I'd probably be happier with 10-12MP instead of 18.

But its still noisy in low light, dog slow in response time, and has that tiny rear screen, so its a bit of a chore using it compared to a newer model.  But I still like the feel of it, and the sound of the shutter better than the newer models.

TimR32225 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,402
I still have my 10d too...

Henry Louey wrote:

I see a lot of new photographers wanting to buy the latest and greatest but if your starting out do you think a top of the line camera is going to give you great images?

I started thinking about this as i found a DVD of old images from 2003 taken with a Canon 10D and 28-135mm lens. The 10D was a whopping 6Mp. Less than every single camera phone on the market today

Given limited budget would you be better off investing in a past generation body and spend the remaining dollars of the best lenses possible?

BTW I have printed these up as 8x12" and they look pretty good still!

I've my 10d for sentimental reasons since it was my first DSLR.  These days I'm shooting with a 1DX, 1D4, and occasionally a 7D but I've occasionally pondered taking out the 10d and shooting with it for an afternoon, just to remember what that first camera was like.   It brought me lots of nice images and good memories.

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
DaytonR Regular Member • Posts: 238

Gorgeous images !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads