>>> Street Photography eXchange #98 <<<

Started Apr 30, 2014 | Discussions
J Mountford
J Mountford Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: After Work

It's an ok shot, but the Monk, which your title gave it the centerpiece does not hold up. He is too dark, he needs to be punched up and the temple in the back backed off to make it seem less important. That takes knowledge on how your software works. That is a whole other world of which is way beyond this forum.

I love Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, both of which can add that punch I think the image needs. There are other software's out there, like Topaz and Photomatix that can help you get there.

Keep in mind, this is only my opinion for the less then 2 cents I have given.

-- hide signature --

"Life is so simple, but we insist on making it complicated"
Confucius

J Mountford's gear list:J Mountford's gear list
Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 Nikon D610 Nikon D7200 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
Sal18 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296
Re: After Work

Hexar again?

I find the image a delight, and given Gerald's high level of expertise I expect it is exactly as his vision dictates. To me, this image (love the briefcase) says that a monk without his temple is like Yo Yo Ma without his cello.

(Speaking of which (OT, sorry): Mr. Ma once left his multi-million dollar Strad in the trunk of a taxi. He got it back in time for the next concert.)

Sal

Re: In bloom

Lovely feeling of spring and great use of the blossoms. Charming, all together, and the world is short on charm so it is doubly appreciated.

Sal

YES!!! nt

no text

geraldPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,760
My 20 cents

J Mountford wrote:

It's an ok shot, but the Monk, which your title gave it the centerpiece does not hold up. He is too dark, he needs to be punched up and the temple in the back backed off to make it seem less important. That takes knowledge on how your software works. That is a whole other world of which is way beyond this forum.

I love Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, both of which can add that punch I think the image needs. There are other software's out there, like Topaz and Photomatix that can help you get there.

Keep in mind, this is only my opinion for the less then 2 cents I have given.

Just when I was sure I wouldn't come back to this forum in a while, this fabulous critique comes up so I will have to respond to a new poster to these forums.

Titles are not to be so rigid that a picture fails because it doesn't match the title.

I don't punch monks because they are too dark. They are friendly people and I like to leave them in shadow when they are under shade...so why beat them up?

Do you often use software to move mountains and temples? Wow! Guess you are into illustration rather than photography.

I don't love software but I love my pictures...unfortunately many people don't love them or even seriously look at them.

I'd rather not invest in Topaz or Photommatix to help me look like everybody else. Is that okay?

Thank you for your 2 cents and sorry if I sound like I'm in a crappy mood but you would be too if people start selling you softwarez to improve your photography

-gerald

Gerald Gay / Sets | 500px

M Charles Joseph
M Charles Joseph Senior Member • Posts: 1,282
Re: Downhill

Would work better if the illuminated arm were cloned or cropped out, her face brightened.

M Charles Joseph
Re: Composition

Excellent

Ken Christie Senior Member • Posts: 1,278
Re: In bloom

I like the colours, including the fuzzy blue on the right. I like the depth and  stillness that the seated figure gives. The enthusiasm of the main characters is great.

The demin clad leg and white shoe? Not so sure.

-- hide signature --

KenC

jacwashere
jacwashere Senior Member • Posts: 1,369

Eh, thats a curious way to look at it

thank you.

jacwashere
Re: YES!!! nt

Thank you, Sal

jacwashere

Well i decided to leave the arm because of the unpredictability of SP, im trying to be less 'rigid' with my aproach. i guess her face could be more lit.

thank you for commenting.

jacwashere
Headscopter

M Charles Joseph
Fine Image

Its a fine image. I realize that there's sort of an unwritten code of ethics with street shooters NOT to alter a shot in PP. I just don't agree with that.

Yes!! Again nt

no text

Xara Regular Member • Posts: 163
Re: i have a suggestion

I was both surprised and bewildered on reading the reaction to Fad's comments on Sal's very interesting photo 'I hear you'. I found nothing whatsoever offensive in either the content or tone of what Fad wrote He was discussing different facets of the creative process and observing how these are variously expressed with all due respect to the people mentioned. In fact he compliments Gerald on his photography. It is really regrettable when honest exploration of this kind is misconstrued.

jacwashere
Re: Fine Image

M Charles Joseph wrote:

Its a fine image. I realize that there's sort of an unwritten code of ethics with street shooters NOT to alter a shot in PP. I just don't agree with that.

Oh dont get me wrong im not one of those, im not going to lie i like when i get a pic i dont have to alter, but that dont always happen so i happily crop and also adjust exposure because i tend to dial negative ev to avoid blown out highlights.

the only thing i guess i wont do now is a substancial crop, i give you an example of one of the first street pics i took that at the time i shared only on fb:

cropped

original

i revisited this pic several months later and i didnt even remenber i've made such crop, but now i prefer the original.

jacwashere
& again thank you!! :D -nt

No text.

fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 16,269
Thank you, Xara

for reading my comment and intentions correctly.

I thought my comment on Sal was addressed for her benefit, and for everyone, to think about the need for both openness to comments from others, which are vital, and, at the same time to be open to oneself, to the unique vision that only the "I" that I inhabit, can bring as a gift to the world.   If one cannot hear the voice if that "I" when it surfaces, then it disappears.  It is to see that "I" of the photographer that we look at so many photos where the "I" is obscured.

It was an important statement about the process we are engaged in as artists, if we think of ourselves that way.   I think my comment was a gift, a gift to me to have it, and a gift from me to share it.   It was one of the most important posts I have made here, out of many, IMHO.

I was taken aback when people I look on as online friends and colleagues decided its purpose was to be a direct insult to them.   These are not the kinds of thoughts that angels suggest to us, we who are met here as friends and fellow photographers.

I wish we were all gathered together so I could offer everyone a beer, to good fellowship and good cheer.  But since that is not possible, why not go ahead and take a beer from your fridge and think of it as on me. 

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +17 more
Daniel74
Daniel74 Contributing Member • Posts: 850
Re: >>> Street Photography eXchange #98 <<<

Thank you, Chris, for taking the trouble to comment. I have fiddles some more with #1 but not with the bags - I like the bags. They are too loud you think? Maybe...

As for #2, hmmm... I thought the pole was both good compositionally and suggestive somewhat. It was the gull that bothered me!

Daniel74's gear list:Daniel74's gear list
Sony RX1R II +2 more
geraldPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,760
Re: Thank you, Xara

fad wrote:

for reading my comment and intentions correctly.

I thought my comment on Sal was addressed for her benefit, and for everyone, to think about the need for both openness to comments from others, which are vital, and, at the same time to be open to oneself, to the unique vision that only the "I" that I inhabit, can bring as a gift to the world. If one cannot hear the voice if that "I" when it surfaces, then it disappears. It is to see that "I" of the photographer that we look at so many photos where the "I" is obscured.

It was an important statement about the process we are engaged in as artists, if we think of ourselves that way. I think my comment was a gift, a gift to me to have it, and a gift from me to share it. It was one of the most important posts I have made here, out of many, IMHO.

I was taken aback when people I look on as online friends and colleagues decided its purpose was to be a direct insult to them. These are not the kinds of thoughts that angels suggest to us, we who are met here as friends and fellow photographers.

I wish we were all gathered together so I could offer everyone a beer, to good fellowship and good cheer. But since that is not possible, why not go ahead and take a beer from your fridge and think of it as on me.

I can sense the gathering of angels and the trumpeting of horns to applaud your contributions to Photography, Humanity & Psychology to all mankind...sounds wonderful and wish I can really experience it and not just imagine it.

Why should I be anything but dubious and cautious about all you say, what you say and how you say. Of course even then what you actually mean is quite something else altogether. You, the scholar poet... the one who loves wordplay, double meanings, the fake bumbling.

Last time you surprised me in the backroom and told me the entire history of good and bad people in this forum and patted me on the back to say that I am generally, in your words, loved and respected by all!

And guess what? You are out there in the forums the next day to continue your attacks. Incrediblle!

Listen to me Frank...you are supposed to stab people in the backroom and you are supposed to be civil in the living room.

Why do you do the opposite? You got it backwards my friend ?

-gerald

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads