nikon lens problem taking extra bright (almost white) pics all of a sudden

Started Apr 30, 2014 | Questions
amanr New Member • Posts: 1
nikon lens problem taking extra bright (almost white) pics all of a sudden

i have a nikon 18-105 lense and all of  a sudden its taking white ( extra bright pics) no contrast at all

please help is the lens broken or some settings may help

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 3,644
Re: nikon lens problem taking extra bright (almost white) pics all of a sudden

Have you accidentally put the camera on spot metering. If not then the aperture is stuck open either on the lens or camera which will need a service.

Also look at the exif data to see what aperture the picture was taken at, Just check your Aperture and speed settings especially if in manual. You may have actually been shooting in manual on the wrong settings.

If it only happens on one lens with no changes to the camera then its most likely the aperture blades sticking open or the coupling between the camera  and the lens broken.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +12 more
JeffryZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,397

Sounds like the blades are stuck wide open.  Or perhaps the contacts are not working correctly.  Try unmounting the lens and check to see if they are dirty or damaged.

-- hide signature --

I would like to invite you to visit my photo gallery here:
http://www.pbase.com/jeffryz/galleries

JeffryZ's gear list:JeffryZ's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Ferguson
Ferguson Senior Member • Posts: 1,328

JeffryZ wrote:

Sounds like the blades are stuck wide open. Or perhaps the contacts are not working correctly. Try unmounting the lens and check to see if they are dirty or damaged.

And set the camera in "A" or "M", adjust the aperture to about F8.  Look into the lens, and press the depth of field preview button.  Do the blades close about half way?   Or if you don't have (or can't find) the preview button, set it to "M" and a half second or so (long enough to clearly see), and take a photo while looking down the lens.  You should see the blades close.

-- hide signature --

Comments welcomed on photos: http://www.captivephotons.com

ckon
ckon Regular Member • Posts: 158

I had a similar problem; in my case it was caused by dirty contacts.

-- hide signature --

Chuck,
BlackDog Photography
Rummage through our digital shoebox at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackdogphoto/ and
http://ckon.zenfolio.com

ckon's gear list:ckon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
The outfitter Junior Member • Posts: 35

I would bet on the aperture blades or mechanism being sticky, as previous posters have suggested.

Take the lens off the body and look through from the back. The blades should be closed right down to minimum aperture (F22 F32 or so).

Then flick the aperture lever sticking out the back of the lens a few times. The blades should open up and snap back down smoothly. If they're sluggish at all, then the shutter will have clicked off before the aperture has had time to stop down to what it was supposed to be.

If you see a problem, then either the blades have got a little oily (rare on such a new lens), or the linkage is catching somewhere either on the mount, or as it goes down to the aperture mechanism.

You can trying zooming the lens to see if it's worse at one position more than another. If it varies, then its definitely the linkage.

If you have another lens to try and there's no problem, then you know it's your lens at fault.

The outfitter's gear list:The outfitter's gear list
Nikon D700 Pentax K-01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads