Very good for the price

Started Apr 28, 2014 | User reviews
tabmelee New Member • Posts: 1
Very good for the price

I wanted a zoom lens for hiking and traveling and this one fits the bill nicely. It is pretty sharp across the range and has good colors. It's quick to focus. It's very small (micro 4:3 helps with that) and since it's plastic, quite light.

78.0mm  ISO 200 f/9.0

123.0mm ISO 200  f/9.0

tabmelee's gear list:tabmelee's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R
Telephoto zoom lens • Micro Four Thirds • V315030SU000
Announced: Jun 30, 2011
tabmelee's score
Average community score
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,010
Re: Very good for the price

I wanted a zoom lens for hiking and traveling and this one fits the bill nicely. It is pretty sharp across the range and has good colors. It's quick to focus. It's very small (micro 4:3 helps with that) and since it's plastic, quite light.

78.0mm  ISO 200 f/9.0

123.0mm ISO 200  f/9.0

Yes its good at double or triple the price if you are looking at image quality.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90891174@N04/

SenicPhoto
SenicPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 261

One of the best M43 deals you'll find out there ... that lens is truly a diamond in the ruff.

SenicPhoto's gear list:SenicPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Olydude Regular Member • Posts: 259

While I'm not sure about these shots... A little too much contrast... this lens is definitely good value and can be had for around $100 new these days. It's really good value if you're looking to extend your cameras legs beyond the range of one of Olympus's short zooms such as the 12-40 or 12-50. Optically it's very good for the price.

The R version updates the lens build quality substantially in terms of external appearance to fit with the rest of Olympus's current range of lenses and also deals with a number of other nuances the standard version has such as lens creeping which no longer is a significant issue.

Olydude's gear list:Olydude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
shg Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

Olydude wrote:

this lens is definitely good value and can be had for around $100 new these days.

Where?

shg's gear list:shg's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Denisio Fabuloso
Denisio Fabuloso Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: Very good for the price... concur.

Concur gentlemen. Amazingly good value lens isnt it? The little 14-42 kit lens is not too damn sloppy either. At some point I'd love to get the 70-300 (birds) and a good fast prime like the 25mm 1.8. A little step up in price of course. As the next step up the rung - in relation to price - how much better would these be I wonder? Anyone care to venture an opinion on these in relation to the aforementioned bargains?

I'm a long time user of Pentax gear - right back to film and darkrooms. (Presently still have the K-5 and a few lenses). Must say, I'm quite enjoying my Olympus EPL-5 4/3's adventure... not with standing the steep (at times) baffling learning curve. Seems I get a new menu lesson every week.

Denisio

AmbassadorZot New Member • Posts: 14

Nobody coming through with that $100 seller yet, huh? I'd buy one immediately at that price.

Maybe they bought used? The best price for a new item from a number of reputable dealers (even directly from Olympus) seems to be $150, with free shipping. Used, from an eBay seller; I'm seeing that you can get one for $100-$80, but not the most current 'R' model, and add a freight cost too.

AmbassadorZot's gear list:AmbassadorZot's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +2 more

No; Olydude said "new". Maybe he hasn't read his email for four months?

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +2 more
dscottsatx
dscottsatx Regular Member • Posts: 419

AmbassadorZot wrote:

Nobody coming through with that $100 seller yet, huh? I'd buy one immediately at that price.

Maybe they bought used? The best price for a new item from a number of reputable dealers (even directly from Olympus) seems to be $150, with free shipping. Used, from an eBay seller; I'm seeing that you can get one for $100-$80, but not the most current 'R' model, and add a freight cost too.

I got mine for $100, new, directly from Olympus, last year. They were having one of those sales they are constantly sending emails out about. Definitely worth $100.

dscottsatx's gear list:dscottsatx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
dscottsatx

@f5.6/150mm. Fairly decent.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more

I'm on their mailing list too and currently they are touting their BIG SALE price for the lens at $150. Don't absolutely need it at the moment. Guess I can wait and wonder if they will match your price eventually.

Excellent photo, by the way. You were zoomed all the way in? How far away was the subject when you snapped the shot? On a tripod, of course? Remote controlled shutter? Just wondering about all the technique that went into getting every hair follicle in focus.

dscottsatx

AmbassadorZot wrote:

Excellent photo, by the way. You were zoomed all the way in? How far away was the subject when you snapped the shot? On a tripod, of course? Remote controlled shutter? Just wondering about all the technique that went into getting every hair follicle in focus.

Hand held, arms tucked in, breath exhaled and held--all the standard stuff. I think my thighs were braced against a railing in front of the chain link fence surrounding the monkeys. That was either the sharpest or the best aligned (shooting through the fence) of about half a dozen. The full frame that was cropped from is attached. You can see the ghost of the fence around the monkey.

Anytime I find myself disappointed by this lens, I go back and look at these shots to remind myself that it probably wasn't the lens that let me down.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads