Sailing with almost no wind but enjoying the Leica T

Started Apr 27, 2014 | Discussions
Dr. Ulrich Rohde Senior Member • Posts: 2,015
Sailing with almost no wind but enjoying the Leica T

Today there was a regatta of about 12 sailboats on a coarse between Marco Island and Naples and NO WIND to speak of, Actually about 7 Knots, and the light boats won We were in the cruising class , no chance.The disadvantage of my boat is, It need 15 Knots not 7 to move so the outcome was predicable . On the positive side we could take some real life pictures in the hazy sunshine of Florida, and I must say I am quite happy. For this application the Canon 1 DX with a 28 to 135 mm f=2.8 would have been the professional choice. So, we did poorly in sailing but ended up with nice souvenir pictures. Don't shoot the messenger !

Test for calibration

Getting ready

On the way

Repair high up

Fast boar

good lucking

Wind from behind

First finish

Well we try

Hi there

Turning

Having fun

Big sail

Nice to relax

Getting close

Almost there

Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica Q Canon EOS-1D Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +13 more
Edward48
Edward48 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,245
Re: Sailing with almost no wind but enjoying the Leica T

Dr. Rohde, after all the noise and hoo-ha it's nice to see some real world shots from the T. And they certainly look very good to me, wind or no wind.

Best
Mike

Edward48's gear list:Edward48's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Leica Q Leica M-Monochrom Olympus PEN-F
Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,818

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

Today there was a regatta ...

Repair high up

Well we try

Big sail

In your recollection, which sky colour was the real one ... or did it change for the "crew" photo?

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

OP Dr. Ulrich Rohde Senior Member • Posts: 2,015

Everything was very humid and hazy, and depending an the scene the sky color changed. Most of the times we hat only one knot wind and then for a few second there was some wind and the sky color was better. We did the worst in 15 years, Position 4 out of 6 boats in our class. This heavy but totally seaworthy Swan 52 weight about 50 metric tons. Under heavy wind conditions we have won most races but just not all. Its the boat and the team.

The Model T did very well and I am not a reviewer but a user, and I think the system is well thought out. I hope all of you will find the same

I have decided to hate spell checker .....

gotompoes Regular Member • Posts: 498

Edward48 wrote:

Dr. Rohde, after all the noise and hoo-ha it's nice to see some real world shots from the T. And they certainly look very good to me, wind or no wind.

Best
Mike

I looked at the samples and on my screen none of them look sharp. I don't think that these pictures do justice to the Leica T. If so then the T is not for me.
No doubt the sailors did enjoy their trip.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica Q Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Joel Stern
Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,925

gotompoes wrote:

Edward48 wrote:

Best
Mike

I looked at the samples and on my screen none of them look sharp. I don't think that these pictures do justice to the Leica T. If so then the T is not for me.
No doubt the sailors did enjoy their trip.

I thought, ok but what is the hupla all about.  I can do this with my fuji with poor settings.  To be fair, new camera and user learning curve needed.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Joel Stern
Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,925

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

I have decided to hate spell checker .....

+1

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

No stabilizer !

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

No stabilizer !

Indeed, some need that feature even at high shutter speeds.
All jokes aside i wouldn't post this type of pictures to demonstrate the capabilities of a camera.
My iPhone is not so bad after-all

Leica Q Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more

Two points: I like the sailing and the pictures show the mood. Second, the files I uploaded are small and probably over zoomed. In the haze there is a limitation at the distance of the cropped pictures. Yes the reproduction is deceiving , and as I mentioned in the beginning a set of $ 10 000 or so would do it better. Life must be a chase , and it takes the fun out of taking photos is things get taken out of context. I wish some one also shows some sailing pictures where action is of the essences. Did I not say don't shoot the messenger ? Show a better job !

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

Two points: I like the sailing and the pictures show the mood. Second, the files I uploaded are small and probably over zoomed. In the haze there is a limitation at the distance of the cropped pictures. Yes the reproduction is deceiving , and as I mentioned in the beginning a set of $ 10 000 or so would do it better. Life must be a chase , and it takes the fun out of taking photos is things get taken out of context. I wish some one also shows some sailing pictures where action is of the essences. Did I not say don't shoot the messenger ? Show a better job !

Show a better job ??? That the easiest task in photography i ever had.

James Pilcher Veteran Member • Posts: 9,389
the sky

I spend a lot of time in the Naples and Marco Island area. Those sky colors in most of the photos are very natural for a hazy humid day on the Florida gulf coast. The sky saturation for the crew shot, I think, is due to exposure; slightly underexposed compared to the other images. Also, the direction you point the camera can make a difference too.

These are obviously harsh mid-day conditions, hardly the best way to evaluate a camera's images. A cloudless sky while on the open water provides rather awful shooting conditions.

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

Today there was a regatta ...

Repair high up

Well we try

Big sail

In your recollection, which sky colour was the real one ... or did it change for the "crew" photo?

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Fujifilm X70 Olympus PEN-F +8 more

Very fine, show me good sailing pictures in hazy weather and wavy water at 100 yard distance with a T like camera , no stabilizer so we can learn how to do better

Re: the sky

yes, and we have no control over the timing of the event.

I keep forgetting to set the AWB at "sunny" and not AWB. My mistake, sorry

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

Very fine, show me good sailing pictures in hazy weather and wavy water at 100 yard distance with a T like camera , no stabilizer so we can learn how to do better

My recommendation is to post pictures which have a value to this forum. If i cannot take a quality pictures in the conditions you describe then i won't post anything.
Your reference to a stabilizer does not make sense. None of the stabilizers compensate for moving objects like sailing boats. The use of higher shutter speeds will solve the problem.

Artichoke
Artichoke Forum Pro • Posts: 12,433
praising the messenger & the Leica T

true to form, Leica is ground breaking with their latest mirrorless offering

I particularly enjoy seeing Ulrich's work because he is an amateur, which gives his samples particular value

he doesn't tweak them much if at all & offers sizes that allow one to see what the camera can do

I suspect he shot jpgs & not raw

the images look sharp to me, the DR impressive & the colors lovely

much better sea trial for a camera than shooting walls or cats

I suspect this camera will sell well for Leica ...the APS sensor is attractive, though I am curious as to how well focus works in low light situations

hopefully they are working on a new M now that won't do video

-- hide signature --

pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
my PBase Galleries
"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +13 more
Re: praising the messenger & the Leica T

Congratulations to the D3X !!!

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590

gotompoes wrote:

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

My recommendation is to post pictures which have a value to this forum. If i cannot take a quality pictures in the conditions you describe then i won't post anything.
Your reference to a stabilizer does not make sense. None of the stabilizers compensate for moving objects like sailing boats. The use of higher shutter speeds will solve the problem.

I really do not understand people like you gotompoes.  Dr. Rohde has been kind enough to post some pictures from a camera that at this stage very few people will ever have seen in the flesh, let alone experience taking pictures with, and yet you jump down his throat and tell him not to bother unless the 'pictures have a value to the forum'.  How arrogant is that?

meland wrote:

gotompoes wrote:

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

I really do not understand people like you gotompoes. Dr. Rohde has been kind enough to post some pictures from a camera that at this stage very few people will ever have seen in the flesh, let alone experience taking pictures with, and yet you jump down his throat and tell him not to bother unless the 'pictures have a value to the forum'. How arrogant is that?

What is the point to praise all pictures posted on this forum. I gave my honest opinion and this has nothing to do with being arrogant. Rhode has been posting a lost of pictures and that is fine but this does not mean that i need to like them. We are all interested in the performance of the T and these pictures do not help in the evaluation of the Leica T. This is my point and if you disagree, fine for me. For me these pictures are counter productive. The OP is talking about difficult conditions such as waves and lack of stabilization. Did you see any waves ? Does a stabilisation system work for moving objects such as sailing boat. No doubt the OP had a nice sailing time and enjoys camera hardware.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads