Trigger the Sony HVL-F60M off camera Flash from the 7r camera remotely

Started Apr 26, 2014 | Discussions
symbology Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: Yes, I'm in manual.....

tex wrote:

Only the Odin RX's are able to use TTL. The Strato and Strao II RX's are not TTL.

Yes, I know. I have 2 Odin receivers, and 2 Stratos II's. The Odins do my TTL. But i can'y get the Stratos' to work at all with the Odin transmitter in manual mode

They list the Strato TX as TTL, but I believe that is due to the pass through TTL hot shoe on the top of the TX.

One great thing about the Odin's is the flash can be in a bounce position and still work in HSS. The flash only needs to be in TTL mode in order for HSS to work. The HSS indicator does not need to be on.

ummmm...? That last sentence...

Also, the older Sony and Minolta flashes only dropped the output down to 1/32 power while the newer 43/58/60 flashes drop down to 1/128th. With the Odins, you can manually control the older flashes all the way down to 1/128th power.

Oh, cool! Although I don't have any...

Manual RX

Are the Strato RX's on the same channel as the Odin RX's?   Do you have the Odin TX set for TTL, or Manual?   It sounds like you are in Manual mode on the TX, have you tried TTL?  I am not sure which is needed, or if it even matters.     Are the Strato II's the Sony version?  You cannot fire the Canon and Nikon Strato RX's with the Sony Phottix Odin TX.  The only other thing I can think of is if you are using channel "D" on the Strato's, since the Odin's only have A,B,C.

HSS

With the Odin's it is not necessary to have the flash in the standard (non-bounce) position for HSS to work.  It will fire in HSS mode no matter the bounce position.   If you put the flash directly on the camera it must be in the standard (non-bounce) position in order for HSS to work.  When the flash is in this position the display will read "HSS" and HSS will work.   Move the flash to another bounce position and the "HSS" indicator turns off and you lose HSS.   The Odin's don't care what bounce position the flash is in.

red fuji Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: I'm doing that now

I have used the flash with a cord, with the little 20 flash, and now with the Odin.  Odin works best, but still not perfect.  have not been able to dial down the flash exp. in manual mode, as far as I can tell.  Also, I think the TTL with the 60 cuts out too soon---I want it to flash at higher light levels than it is, and have to go to manual to do it.  Whatever happened to "fill flash"?

Someone please explain to this user how/why an electronics giant like Sony has not developed better flash in every way, and especially radio triggering.  It ought to be built in, IMO.

I understanf why an electronics company might be running a bit behind on the optics side.  Not this, though.

indeed Sony really SHOULD have build in a flash trigger into the A7/A7R . i would rather have that than the wi fi .

red fuji's gear list:red fuji's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sony a7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
OP brosenz Senior Member • Posts: 1,004
Re: Trigger the Sony HVL-F60M off camera Flash from the 7r camera remotely

Jeff2013 wrote:

I use the Phottix Odin for off-camera flash with my A7R and Sony flashes. it works great and supports TTL and high speed synch (especially nice when the camera flash-synch speed is only 160th of a second). If you go to my website, www.gr8photography.com and click on the "Model & Studio" under "My Photographs", the first 16 photos were taken with this combination (it was overcast, so I had enough power for the outdoor shots).

Are the Phottix Odin hardware compatible with the new HVL-F60M hotshoe?, or do I have to use an adapter?

symbology Regular Member • Posts: 224

brosenz wrote:

Jeff2013 wrote:

I use the Phottix Odin for off-camera flash with my A7R and Sony flashes. it works great and supports TTL and high speed synch (especially nice when the camera flash-synch speed is only 160th of a second). If you go to my website, www.gr8photography.com and click on the "Model & Studio" under "My Photographs", the first 16 photos were taken with this combination (it was overcast, so I had enough power for the outdoor shots).

Are the Phottix Odin hardware compatible with the new HVL-F60M hotshoe?, or do I have to use an adapter?

The Odin's use the old shoe and you would need the adapters.    I don't mind, the older flashes are cheaper

osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970

brosenz wrote:

Jeff2013 wrote:

the f60m that i got from someone came with an adapter, old style pins on the bottom, new shoe on top to mount the f60m on.

better double-check for yourself to make sure that's the factory package.

-- hide signature --

dan

tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,578
The transmitter is "new foot", receivers "old foot" right now /nt
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Ricoh Theta V Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +28 more
OP brosenz Senior Member • Posts: 1,004
Re: I'm doing that now

tex wrote:

I have used the flash with a cord, with the little 20 flash, and now with the Odin. Odin works best, but still not perfect. have not been able to dial down the flash exp. in manual mode, as far as I can tell. Also, I think the TTL with the 60 cuts out too soon---I want it to flash at higher light levels than it is, and have to go to manual to do it. Whatever happened to "fill flash"?

Someone please explain to this user how/why an electronics giant like Sony has not developed better flash in every way, and especially radio triggering. It ought to be built in, IMO.

I understanf why an electronics company might be running a bit behind on the optics side. Not this, though.

What are the limitations of using the HVL-F20M flash as a trigger from the A7r?, thanks

Krishna Das Contributing Member • Posts: 897

Jeff2013 wrote:

I'd like to learn to use flash like you do.

Krishna Das's gear list:Krishna Das's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Sony a9 Sony a7R III Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,578
It's line of sight. Think about it.../nt
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Ricoh Theta V Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +28 more
RVN New Member • Posts: 9
can phottix odin works on RX1 for trigger sony HVL 56 or HVL 43M?

help guys,

can phottix odin works on RX1 and ILCE-7 for trigger sony HVL 56 or HVL 43M? how about HSS mode can it work too on RX1 and ILC-7 when we use phottix odin? thank you

Brizzy00 New Member • Posts: 5

So i have the Hvl f32m and the hvl f43m and wanted to know if there's a way to use one of the as an on-camera flash but only use it as a pre flash to set off the off-camera flash  without having the on-camera flash to set off when taking the picture??

Ross Warner Senior Member • Posts: 1,326

Brizzy00 wrote:

So i have the Hvl f32m and the hvl f43m and wanted to know if there's a way to use one of the as an on-camera flash but only use it as a pre flash to set off the off-camera flash without having the on-camera flash to set off when taking the picture??

The amount of on-camera flash output when triggering the wireless flash is trivial. However, if you really think you need to block it, you can use a piece of unexposed film as Gary Friedman describes in his books...

-Ross

Ross Warner's gear list:Ross Warner's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
jdonalds Regular Member • Posts: 183

This is an old thread. I believe the

Godox Xpro-S TTL 2.4G Wireless X System Remote Flash Trigger compatible Sony a77II a77 a99 ILCE-6000L a9 A7R A7RIII a350 DSC-RX10 for Godox TT685S TT350S V860II-S transmitter and

Godox X1R-S 2.4G TTL High Speed Sync Wireless Flash Receiver Compatible for Sony Camera + CONXTRUE USB LED (X1R-S Receiver)

works with the HVL-F60M. At least I hope so. I'm ordering one for my a6500 and F60M

-- hide signature --

John

jdonalds's gear list:jdonalds's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony a6500 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads