Trigger the Sony HVL-F60M off camera Flash from the 7r camera remotely

Started Apr 26, 2014 | Discussions
brosenz Senior Member • Posts: 1,004
Trigger the Sony HVL-F60M off camera Flash from the 7r camera remotely

Is there a way to trigger from the 7r the Sony Flash HVL-F60M when it's off camera?, thanks

lowincash
lowincash Contributing Member • Posts: 717
Re: Trigger the Sony HVL-F60M off camera Flash from the 7r camera remotely

You'll need a flash that will trigger it, like the f20 flash. Or get a remote/trigger kit or something that will work for Sony.

I've actually tried a few different remote and triggers from different brand and not many works with Sony flashes, unless you get the expensive ones I ended up selling the Sony flash and use a Canon flash.

-- hide signature --

A7, 28-70 kit, 55f18

osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970

lowincash wrote:

You'll need a flash that will trigger it, like the f20 flash. Or get a remote/trigger kit or something that will work for Sony.

I've actually tried a few different remote and triggers from different brand and not many works with Sony flashes, unless you get the expensive ones I ended up selling the Sony flash and use a Canon flash.

canon flash on sony means that you are limited to x-sync speed? 1/160th shutter max??? primitive, but if that's all you need...

i have the f60m hardwired, on a hand-held flash/camera bracket.

what i want is the phottix odin ttl radio set, a number of people out here have reported good results with it.

blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,475

brosenz wrote:

Is there a way to trigger from the 7r the Sony Flash HVL-F60M when it's off camera?, thanks

It works fine with the HVL-F20M/AM camera - as an IR link (it needs a line of sight).

Sony also has a wireless adapter and a cable adapter - they have been posted here before.

With the Sony solution, you get TTL and HSS.

• [ I have other adapters (Cowboy Studio), that work fine too, but without TTL and HSS. Funny is that the HVL-F45/60M/AM work with these adapters, but the HVL-F20M/AM do not. ]

If you use two HVL-F45/60M/AM flashes, you have more capabilities, such as dialing in the strength on each. With the HVL-F20M/AM you do not, but you can control each flash individually (including the HVL-F20 on camera).

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +36 more
OP brosenz Senior Member • Posts: 1,004

blue_skies wrote:

brosenz wrote:

It works fine with the HVL-F20M/AM camera - as an IR link (it needs a line of sight).

Sony also has a wireless adapter and a cable adapter - they have been posted here before.

• [ I have other adapters (Cowboy Studio), that work fine too, but without TTL and HSS. Funny is that the HVL-F45/60M/AM work with these adapters, but the HVL-F20M/AM do not. ]

If you use two HVL-F45/60M/AM flashes, you have more capabilities, such as dialing in the strength on each. With the HVL-F20M/AM you do not, but you can control each flash individually (including the HVL-F20 on camera).

Thank you, do you have the P/N for the Sony Wireless adapter?

tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,460
I'm doing that now

I have used the flash with a cord, with the little 20 flash, and now with the Odin.  Odin works best, but still not perfect.  have not been able to dial down the flash exp. in manual mode, as far as I can tell.  Also, I think the TTL with the 60 cuts out too soon---I want it to flash at higher light levels than it is, and have to go to manual to do it.  Whatever happened to "fill flash"?

Someone please explain to this user how/why an electronics giant like Sony has not developed better flash in every way, and especially radio triggering.  It ought to be built in, IMO.

I understanf why an electronics company might be running a bit behind on the optics side.  Not this, though.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Ricoh Theta V Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro +25 more
lowincash
lowincash Contributing Member • Posts: 717

osv wrote:

lowincash wrote:

canon flash on sony means that you are limited to x-sync speed? 1/160th shutter max??? primitive, but if that's all you need...

i have the f60m hardwired, on a hand-held flash/camera bracket.

what i want is the phottix odin ttl radio set, a number of people out here have reported good results with it.

I plan on getting the odin and use it with the f43m flash when my budget allows but for now I'm just using the phottix ares and canon on manual and fastest I can go is 1/200th shutter max before getting the black bar. I'm actually thinking of getting a metz 44 flash since I'm using it on manual anyways.

PVCdroid
PVCdroid Senior Member • Posts: 4,353

brosenz wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

brosenz wrote:

It's the ADPMAA and is proprietary to Sony. I don't think a third party makes it. It includes the pin connection to the MIS shoe. Amazon, BH, etc. carry it for $25. It works fine and has a stable connection without wobble of the flash attached. TTL does flow through with an AM flash attached to a camera with the MIS shoe.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R II
Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Senior Member • Posts: 2,447

I use the Phottix Odin for off-camera flash with my A7R and Sony flashes.  it works great and supports TTL and high speed synch (especially nice when the camera flash-synch speed is only 160th of a second).  If you go to my website, www.gr8photography.com and click on the "Model & Studio" under "My Photographs", the first 16 photos were taken with this combination (it was overcast, so I had enough power for the outdoor shots).

Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +12 more
Great. We need to talk! Or at least....

...I need to talk to you.  I'm having a bit of trouble in TTL mode with the Odin.   Also, I could not get the Stratos II receivers to work with the Odin in any way.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Ricoh Theta V Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro +25 more
mediaphage New Member • Posts: 20

PVCdroid wrote:

brosenz wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

brosenz wrote:

It's the ADPMAA and is proprietary to Sony. I don't think a third party makes it. It includes the pin connection to the MIS shoe. Amazon, BH, etc. carry it for $25. It works fine and has a stable connection without wobble of the flash attached. TTL does flow through with an AM flash attached to a camera with the MIS shoe.

That isn't any kind of wireless adapter.  Sony doesn't offer a non-optical wireless solution. That adapter just lets you use auto-lock compatible accessories on cameras with the MIS version of the hot shoe.

Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Senior Member • Posts: 2,447
Re: Great. We need to talk! Or at least....

I'm not sure why your setup is not working.  I assume that you are shooting the camera on manual (I always use manual when shooting flash).  One note, when using HSS, it doesn't work unless the flash head is fully horizontal.

Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +12 more
symbology Regular Member • Posts: 224

PVCdroid wrote:

brosenz wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

brosenz wrote:

Just to be clear, Sony does not make a wireless adapter.  They make flash shoe adapters, which is what the ADPMAA is.  Nothing wireless about it.  Just a dumb adapter.

Why spend $400 on a HVL-F43M to use as a wireless commander when you can get the Odin set for $329.  You don't want to use any (or much) of that flash power on the camera anyway.

Re: I'm doing that now

tex wrote:

I have used the flash with a cord, with the little 20 flash, and now with the Odin. Odin works best, but still not perfect. have not been able to dial down the flash exp. in manual mode, as far as I can tell. Also, I think the TTL with the 60 cuts out too soon---I want it to flash at higher light levels than it is, and have to go to manual to do it. Whatever happened to "fill flash"?

Someone please explain to this user how/why an electronics giant like Sony has not developed better flash in every way, and especially radio triggering. It ought to be built in, IMO.

I understanf why an electronics company might be running a bit behind on the optics side. Not this, though.

Something is for sure wrong with your settings, or?   I am able to use the camera flash exposure comp to dial down all groups of TTL flashes on the Odin.  Then, I am able to dial it down even further with the Odin.  This came in real handy when I was using the Odin's on my a58 which only had +/- 2 stops of flash Comp.

I have only ever used the Odin's with older Sony flashes though, never with the F43M, or F60M.   I can't see why this would be an issue though.

Give us more detail into your settings on the camera, the Odin's and your flash.

OP brosenz Senior Member • Posts: 1,004

symbology wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

brosenz wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

brosenz wrote:

Just to be clear, Sony does not make a wireless adapter. They make flash shoe adapters, which is what the ADPMAA is. Nothing wireless about it. Just a dumb adapter.

Why spend $400 on a HVL-F43M to use as a wireless commander when you can get the Odin set for $329. You don't want to use any (or much) of that flash power on the camera anyway.

I've been thinking about the Phottix Odin set as well, but I can get the HVL-F20M flash for $150 and get the same wireless solution, or the Phottix Odin will provide additional functionality?.

Is the Phottix Odin using the same Hot Shoe connector of the A7r or is it the old format and I will need and adapter on the A7r?

When do I have to use the "AutoLock Accessory Shoe" ADP-AMA, with old Sony Cameras?

Thanks

Yes, I'm in manual.....

...I was in TTl, but the Sony 60 seems to be more inclined not to fire in higher low light levels than my Metz's.  I'm not using HSS at the moment, but thanks for the tip on the flash head----I guess that's for the Sony flashes?  i wonder about the Metz's.

I really like aspects of the Sony 60---output and UI particularly (the Metz's are awful in that latter regard, imo...).  But it really is unbelievable how fast that flash overheats---I saw this guy give a rant on this on YouTube, and thought "Dude, take a Xanax..", but now.... wow, just wow.  I use it, but have to swap it out in the middle(or before!) of the shoot with a Metz.  And I'm shooting flowering trees, not an event....

And I really don't understand what's up with the Stratos receivers...I hope it's me, but...

-- hide signature --

Thanks, I'll do that...

out of commission right now due to a major rain event going on in the mid-Atlantic----not all my gear is weatherproof....be back at it in 24-48.

-- hide signature --

I've been thinking about the Phottix Odin set as well, but I can get the HVL-F20M flash for $150 and get the same wireless solution, or the Phottix Odin will provide additional functionality?.

If you're satisfied with LOS, then sure---but if not, then that's the whole point of radio triggers.  I just can't use LOS a lot of times in the field with what I'm doing.

Is the Phottix Odin using the same Hot Shoe connector of the A7r or is it the old format and I will need and adapter on the A7r?

Yes, the transmitter does.  The receivers don't(!!!) at this time..  So you'll need to adapt them unless the flash you're using has the old shoe----OR, if your flash has a cord socket that will work (the 60's doesn't...), you could use a dumb adapter just so the flash will sit there on the receiver and connect with a cord.

When do I have to use the "AutoLock Accessory Shoe" ADP-AMA, with old Sony Cameras?

When using an accessory(flash in this case, but it could be a mic) with the new foot on an old Minolta style shoe

Thanks

Re: Yes, I'm in manual.....

tex wrote:

...I was in TTl, but the Sony 60 seems to be more inclined not to fire in higher low light levels than my Metz's. I'm not using HSS at the moment, but thanks for the tip on the flash head----I guess that's for the Sony flashes? i wonder about the Metz's.

I really like aspects of the Sony 60---output and UI particularly (the Metz's are awful in that latter regard, imo...). But it really is unbelievable how fast that flash overheats---I saw this guy give a rant on this on YouTube, and thought "Dude, take a Xanax..", but now.... wow, just wow. I use it, but have to swap it out in the middle(or before!) of the shoot with a Metz. And I'm shooting flowering trees, not an event....

And I really don't understand what's up with the Stratos receivers...I hope it's me, but...

Only the Odin RX's are able to use TTL.  The Strato and Strao II RX's are not TTL.   They list the Strato  TX as TTL, but I believe that is due to the pass through TTL hot shoe on the top of the TX.

One great thing about the Odin's is the flash can be in a bounce position and still work in HSS.  The flash only needs to be in TTL mode in order for HSS to work.  The HSS indicator does not need to be on.

Also, the older Sony and Minolta flashes only dropped the output down to 1/32 power while the newer 43/58/60 flashes drop down to 1/128th.   With the Odins, you can manually control the older flashes all the way down to 1/128th power.

Re: Yes, I'm in manual.....

Only the Odin RX's are able to use TTL. The Strato and Strao II RX's are not TTL.

Yes, I know.  I have 2 Odin receivers, and 2 Stratos II's.  The Odins do my TTL.  But i can'y get the Stratos' to work at all with the Odin transmitter in manual mode

They list the Strato TX as TTL, but I believe that is due to the pass through TTL hot shoe on the top of the TX.

One great thing about the Odin's is the flash can be in a bounce position and still work in HSS. The flash only needs to be in TTL mode in order for HSS to work. The HSS indicator does not need to be on.

ummmm...?  That last sentence...

Also, the older Sony and Minolta flashes only dropped the output down to 1/32 power while the newer 43/58/60 flashes drop down to 1/128th. With the Odins, you can manually control the older flashes all the way down to 1/128th power.

Oh, cool!  Although I don't have any...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads