Received GR-DC1A Enhanced Grip, It's Great, and Should Have Been Standard

Started Apr 25, 2014 | Discussions
Red5TX
Red5TX Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Received GR-DC1A Enhanced Grip, It's Great, and Should Have Been Standard

I received the GR-DC1A Enhanced Grip for my G1X Mk II today from Canon (the exclusive source). It's an excellent accessory that really rounds out the handling of the camera.

However, it cost $38 shipped from Canon, which is outrageous. I can't see what purpose the standard USA grip serves, except to encourage you to pay $$$ to upgrade to the GR-DC1A. The bigger grip absolutely should be standard with this camera.

GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,604
Re: I've bought it

And fixed it on my camera

But part of me still likes the small grip. so I am not convinced the big one should be standard.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +16 more
aekn Regular Member • Posts: 433

How do you add the larger grip?  Does it go over the smaller grip?  Is it affixed with tape?

Thanks

Red5TX
OP Red5TX Senior Member • Posts: 1,586

aekn wrote:

How do you add the larger grip? Does it go over the smaller grip? Is it affixed with tape?

Thanks

You remove two tiny Allen screws on the side, which releases the small grip.  Once that's off, you put the new one on and re-tighten the screws. Takes about a minute. 

Scott Skinner
Scott Skinner Senior Member • Posts: 1,704
I got one also - big plus

I spent a few hours walking around with the G1X yesterday and it works perfectly for my hand.  With the thumb on the thumb grip and the bigger finger grip, the camera was more comfortable to hold and I felt less worried about dropping it.

A must have in my opinion!

Scott Skinner's gear list:Scott Skinner's gear list
Canon G1 X II
gloaming Veteran Member • Posts: 4,292
Re: Received GR-DC1A Enhanced Grip, It's Great, and Should Have Been Standard

It must have much to do with hand size and one's preference for 'feel' and 'heft' in the holding hand.  A woman would probably not want the addition where some men, perhaps most men, would rather something a bit more substantial for feeling more secure about controlling it.

chevyusa New Member • Posts: 8

i ordered the grip for my camera,does it come with tool to remove screws? thank you

NWT Contributing Member • Posts: 744

I think the screw driver and screws are included, it was two years ago I changed mine, now so sure now, very easy job though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads