50mm Lens for D7100

Started Apr 25, 2014 | Discussions
Raymondo17 Junior Member • Posts: 46
50mm Lens for D7100

I've heard over and over that a 50mm lens is a must-have, especially for portraits. My question is that, since the D7100 is a cropped sensor, should I actually be looking for something like a 35mm lens?

Any recommendations on specific lenses?

Raymondo17's gear list:Raymondo17's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mister0 Junior Member • Posts: 45
Re: 50mm Lens for D7100

good question,, I have a 50mm and an 85mm on d7100

equivalent on ff would be 75mm and 125mm which is ideal for portrait anyway

mister0's gear list:mister0's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
iljitsch Contributing Member • Posts: 664

On full frame, 50 mm provides a "normal" field of view. You would think that's a good focal length for portraits, but although in person we can sit pretty close to someone else without seeing anything strange, when you shoot a portrait at 1 meter or so, the perspective is such that the nose looks a bit big and the ears and forehead a bit small. At a larger distance (at least 3 meters) that goes away and portraits tend to look better. So if you're looking for waist up, head and shoulders or just the face then you need a tele lens.

On DX the 50 mm is on the short end of the tele range, so it works well for waist up and couples and the f/1.8 aperture allows for blurry backgrounds. However, a tele zoom also works well for portraits if you have enough light (or an expensive f/2.8 lens). The 85 mm f/1.8 would be a good choice on FX and is also great on DX for tighter portraits / more distance / even blurrier backgrounds.

The 50 mm on FX or the 35 mm on DX is a good choice for whole body shots or groups of people as well as for general walking around, where the 50 mm on DX easily gets a bit too tight.

The 50 mm f/1.8 is available as an old style AF / D lens which requires a focus motor in the camera body (which the D7100 has) and a modern AF-S / G lens. The former is cheaper and has almost no distortions, the latter is reportedly a hair sharper and also works on entry-level DSLRs and allows for easier switching between auto and manual focus.

The 35 mm f/1.8 is only available as AF-S / G but there is a DX model and one that is compatible with FX (without DX or FX in the name).

I have the 50 mm f/1.8D which I like (and not just because it's tiny and retro) but don't use all that often and the 35 mm f/1.8 DX which I also like and use a bit more.

iljitsch's gear list:iljitsch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Digetydog
Digetydog Senior Member • Posts: 1,461

Raymondo17 wrote:

I've heard over and over that a 50mm lens is a must-have, especially for portraits. My question is that, since the D7100 is a cropped sensor, should I actually be looking for something like a 35mm lens?

Any recommendations on specific lenses?

In follow up to the prior post, the 50mm AF-D lens is available new dirt cheap.  Of all my lenses, it takes the best pictures of people in social settings.

My sister in law has the newer (more expensive) AFS version and her shots are fantastic.

Digetydog's gear list:Digetydog's gear list
Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Mohammad AlLawati
Mohammad AlLawati Regular Member • Posts: 139

50 is great and you can use it on FF afterwards if you consider to upgrade.

I have 50mm 1.8 G which I got for great deal. The prices are now up in where I am, I am happy I got it then. Some say it is even sharper than the 1.4, I dont know really 

-- hide signature --

If it is still, use a tripod.

Mohammad AlLawati's gear list:Mohammad AlLawati's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Nexu1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,745

There are a lot of opinions on the "cheap" 35 & 50's and which is best for DX.

I have both. My personal preference? 50 by a mile. Mainly because I find 35mm on DX boring. The 50 on a crop sensor gives a field of view of around 75mm which isn't too far off the classic 85mm for portraits. I shoot a lot of people: kids, grandparents, birthday parties, Christmas, candids... the everyday family photojournalism type stuff. I find the 50mm gives me many, many, many more "wow" type photos. The ability, do to the longer focal length, to get a shallow depth of field and get that 3D type of effect is noticeably better with the 50mm IMO. Here's a few of my shots from a few months ago: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3600403

Now... if I weren't shooting so many "portraits" then I probably wouldn't find a 50 on DX all that useful...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads