X-T1 Program Shift?

Started Apr 25, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Russ2626 Regular Member • Posts: 301
X-T1 Program Shift?

Can't trigger program shift in P setting. Must be some setting that's blocking it. Any ideas?

Russ2626's gear list:Russ2626's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony Alpha 7R II Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
jimkohn Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: X-T1 Program Shift?

Not sure what you mean by "P setting". The implementation of program shift on the X-T1 is a pet peeve of mine with this camera. It only works if you are NOT in auto ISO and NOT in auto Dynamic Range. If you manually set ISO and Dynamic range you can use program shift via the front control dial. I hope they change this in a future firmware update.

jimkohn's gear list:jimkohn's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Bill Robb Senior Member • Posts: 3,332

Why not just use exposure comp?

D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 3,887
Auto ISO is the cause

Set your ISO to something other than auto and then you can change the aperture/shutter speed in P mode.  Crazy, I know...but that's how it is.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon D750 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +7 more
Rupek Regular Member • Posts: 135

Exposure comp changes exposure. Program shift keeps same exposure. Just adjust aperture and shutter speed to match.

Rupek's gear list:Rupek's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Russ2626 OP Regular Member • Posts: 301

Thanks for the answer. P meaning program vs. A or S.

Russ2626's gear list:Russ2626's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony Alpha 7R II Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
clockface Regular Member • Posts: 171

Can't trigger program shift in P setting. Must be some setting that's blocking it. Any ideas?

Haven't got the xt1 but with the x100 you can't programming shift with autoISO or autoDR

Bill Robb Senior Member • Posts: 3,332

Rupek wrote:

Exposure comp changes exposure. Program shift keeps same exposure. Just adjust aperture and shutter speed to match.

Duh. I knew that.

clockface Regular Member • Posts: 171

Rupek wrote:

Duh. I knew that.

Why then did you suggest using the EC dial in your earlier post?

Steve W Senior Member • Posts: 2,863

jimkohn wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "P setting". The implementation of program shift on the X-T1 is a pet peeve of mine with this camera. It only works if you are NOT in auto ISO and NOT in auto Dynamic Range. If you manually set ISO and Dynamic range you can use program shift via the front control dial. I hope they change this in a future firmware update.

Don't really use P mode but this is nice to know. Just tried it out and it works as you defined it.

Do you know if this works on the X-E2. I couldn't get it to work but maybe i overlooked something.

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +32 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads