K-7 vs K-x

Started Apr 25, 2014 | Questions
dantonvb Forum Member • Posts: 58
K-7 vs K-x

I have a Pentax ist DL and a K-x. As I live in Brazil it is very difficult to find Pentax equipment here. Now I have the opportunity of buy an used K-7 with 30,000 shutter actuations and 18-55WR for a good price. How does the K-7 compare with the K-x, AF, IQ, etc.? What about to change the ist DL or K-x by the K-7? Thanks, Danton

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax *ist DL Pentax K-7 Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Daedbird Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: K-7 vs K-x

It really depends what and how you shoot. If low light is your thing, then the Kx is the way to stay. I am guessing the K7 has a faster AF, and is weather sealed, and has a mic socket for video. But really, the Kx is a great camera......

That K7 sounds what I was looking for as a third body for outdoor timelapse.....

DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,084

dantonvb wrote:

I have a Pentax ist DL and a K-x. As I live in Brazil it is very difficult to find Pentax equipment here. Now I have the opportunity of buy an used K-7 with 30,000 shutter actuations and 18-55WR for a good price. How does the K-7 compare with the K-x, AF, IQ, etc.? What about to change the ist DL or K-x by the K-7? Thanks, Danton

The IQ is generally comparable at low ISO, at higher ISO (1250 and up) the K-x shows less noise. The noise difference is also visible almost always in low contrast areas of the image, even at low ISO. On the other hand, the K-7 has superb AWB in most conditions, probably the best I have ever seen, and that sometimes gives it an edge over the K-x. K-7 is more quiet in operation, both screw drive AF and shutter sound are much less then with the K-x, especially shutter and mirror noise. There are AF indication points in the viewfinder, and the LCD screen is significantly better, both resolution and visibility in bright light. If you use lenses with manual focus, focusing screen on K-7 shows changes in focus much more (it's more matte), which is a pleasant surprise, it's closer to film SLR's. than to a typical DSLR. Also, K-7 is ergonomically better, with more controls, and the first of the new Pentax bodies with well praised controls and handling (K-5 is similar). Metering is more consistent (weakest point of K-x), and AF is mostly better, but more in how it handles heavier lenses, or lenses with long focus throw (it is faster, easier with less noise and hunting) then pure accuracy (with some practice, K-x focuses quite well). In short, K-x was a great budget DSLR, K-7 is a full featured semi-pro body with tons of features and customization. The only thing missing on K-7 (compared to K-x) is auto ISO functionality in P, Av and Tv modes (it is available only in TAV mode, where one command dial assigns aperture, the other shutter speed, and ISO then floats).

The ist DL, although a very good camera for its time, is not in the same league as K-x or K-7, especially when shooting indoors or in artificial light. But it does work very well with MF lenses, giving very accurate focus confirmation, and is very forgiving on old lenses where it often pulls out the maximum out of them, and images can have a nice almost film like "look" on some of them.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs +6 more
Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,514

dantonvb wrote:

Definitely wouldn't bother with the K-7 since you already have a K-x.

Wait for a good used K-5 or K-5II. Keep the K-x if you use bounced flash.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads