£5000 budget for full frame kit ?

Started Apr 24, 2014 | Questions
chilliwinter New Member • Posts: 6
£5000 budget for full frame kit ?

Hi,

New to digital, Have a £5000 budget, researched and I have come up with this, taking into account tripod, grip, bags, filters, Sd cards etc etc. Have a suitable desktop and screen in place for post processing.

Nikon D610; Nikon 50mm f1.8G; Nikon 16-35 f4G; Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC; Nikon 70-200 f4 VR; SB-910 (In all about £4500 in UK).

Small bio if it helps : Last kit was 35mm film (EOS, nice body, some nice lenses - all since sold). Enthusiast, in the past a bit of paid work (exhibition photography, odd shoot through friends). Been a long while, life got in the way ! This will be amateur, just for me, just for pleasure. I'd like to be covered for a wide range of subjects though birding and sports are not really my scene. More landscape, street, people, "arty-farty" ! I ended up buying wider and wider years ago, dont really know why. I like quality glass, oh I do, but I also like practicality and actually getting the image over "mines bigger/better than yours", hope this makes sense.

Where would you steer me ? Is my kit near the mark or way off ?

Hope this is in the right place to post and thanks for anybody taking the time to help me out.

Chilli

chilliwinter's gear list:chilliwinter's gear list
Nikon D610
ANSWER:
Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP chilliwinter New Member • Posts: 6
Re: £5000 budget for full frame kit ?

No takers ? Have I asked a stupid question ?

Nikon D610
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509

chilliwinter wrote:

Hi,

New to digital, Have a £5000 budget, researched and I have come up with this, taking into account tripod, grip, bags, filters, Sd cards etc etc. Have a suitable desktop and screen in place for post processing.

Nikon D610; Nikon 50mm f1.8G; Nikon 16-35 f4G; Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC; Nikon 70-200 f4 VR; SB-910 (In all about £4500 in UK).

Small bio if it helps : Last kit was 35mm film (EOS, nice body, some nice lenses - all since sold). Enthusiast, in the past a bit of paid work (exhibition photography, odd shoot through friends). Been a long while, life got in the way ! This will be amateur, just for me, just for pleasure. I'd like to be covered for a wide range of subjects though birding and sports are not really my scene. More landscape, street, people, "arty-farty" ! I ended up buying wider and wider years ago, dont really know why. I like quality glass, oh I do, but I also like practicality and actually getting the image over "mines bigger/better than yours", hope this makes sense.

Hope this is in the right place to post and thanks for anybody taking the time to help me out.

Chilli

While that kit is not for me, if you like it, it would be great for what you want.

Maybe add a 85 1.8 as well?

Thanks Neil, good to know I'm not way off with my research/thinking, was getting worried I'd gone wrong somewhere. Appreciate your input 

Nikon D610
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 21,334

That seems like a lot of money to spend in one go. My suggestion would be to get the camera with one good lens (possibly a prime lens) and get to know them well before getting too deep into any one system.

You might (I'm not saying you will) decide that this particular camera doesn't suit you and want to try something else (Canon, Sony, whatever). By starting slowly, you can make this fairly painless.

But maybe you have plenty of money ...

D

I think you're post is very sensible and the right way to do it in the usual run of things .. however ! For reasons (I'm fifty & single again) I'll have 5K soon to spend on me and I dont envisage having that sort of cash in one lump ever again. I'm not a rich man. I do like a few beers and dont trust myself to not fritter it away !! 

Ta for the wise words

Nikon D610
Virginia Bill Contributing Member • Posts: 826

That's a perfectly reasonable outfit, and the Nikon 610 is a solid camera. But, given what you've said you want to do ("I'd like to be covered for a wide range of subjects though birding and sports are not really my scene. More landscape, street, people, "arty-farty"), I'll ask the obvious question: why full frame?

Cameras with smaller sensors -- APS-C or m4/3 -- produce results more than adequate for the ways most people present their images; and those cameras are smaller, lighter, cheaper. The usual arguments for full frame -- shallower depth of field, better low light performance, greater ultimate resolution -- are persuasive for a few people, but you haven't indicated you really need those capabilities. Hence my question: why full frame? A number of threads in this forum have chewed over the issue; mybe you should read through a few of them before spending all that money.

Virginia Bill's gear list:Virginia Bill's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Leica X Vario Leica M8 Pentax K-5 +9 more
Steve Throndson Senior Member • Posts: 2,702

chilliwinter,

You've just joined.  Welcome!

Sounds like a dream outfit you're considering.  All that's missing is a macro lens.

Perhaps you'll post some photos here.  We'll look forward to seeing them.

Alphoid Veteran Member • Posts: 5,333

If it were me, I'd consider getting the camera, the 50mm, and a gift certificate so the rest doesn't go to beer.

If not, I'd also consider less, better glass. I shoot with a 24mm and an 85mm prime. Nothing else. I'd pass on the overlapping Tamron 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.7, and Nikon 16-35. I'd probably get just a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200mm f/4. 1 stop isn't enough to merit a 50mm f/1.8 prime. At full frame, f/2.8 is also plenty for most purposes.

Actually, even more likely, I'd pass on the 70-200mm f/4 for an 85mm f/1.4 prime. 70-85mm is crops from the 24-70, and the 85mm will give better low-light than an f/4 cropped all the way up to 240mm.

Photofunster
Photofunster Senior Member • Posts: 1,548

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a great kit planned.

I would only suggest, dropping the 610 for a D800. just a thought.

Enjoy the near future...

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4 G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePLAY XD 1080P

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
darklamp Senior Member • Posts: 3,567
I don't think you need full frame

I'd like to be covered for a wide range of subjects though birding and sports are not really my scene.

Which means you don't need extreme high ISO performance, which is all full frame really offers, as such.

And modern APS-C sensors ( "crop" ) are really excellent at high ISO ( better than film ).

More landscape, street, people, "arty-farty" !

MILC ( mirrorless ) beckons.

Smaller, lighter and almost designed for these subjects ( "arty-farty" ? ).

I ended up buying wider and wider years ago, dont really know why.

Do you expect to go back to wide glass ?

I like quality glass, oh I do

Fuji X series sounds nice.

, but I also like practicality and actually getting the image over "mines bigger/better than yours"

Again, why bother with full frame when you don't need to.

A Fuji X-E1 or X-E2 might suite you ( or the XT1 ) with some of |Fuji's nice glass.

Sony make a nice full frame MILC called an A7, but have been pretty poor at producing quality glass to match it. However I'd be remiss in not directing you towards it.

Note that it's very common to find people using manual glass ( including quality glass like Zeiss ) on MILCs via adapters. This is very nice if you like to have fun with your photography and if you have any old lenses you like you might find a way to use them.

Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,736
Where would you steer me ?

chilliwinter wrote:

Hi,

Chilli

To a decent investment broker.
Spend $500 on a used something or other
and get on the learning curve.
Digital is different, but there is no reason you won't enjoy
shots from any of a dozen used cams currently available.
Your first important decision is EVF or not,
and once that is made, you can start thinking brands.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a7R Sony a77 II +19 more
The Incredible Hoke
The Incredible Hoke Contributing Member • Posts: 894

chilliwinter wrote:

D

I think you're post is very sensible and the right way to do it in the usual run of things .. however ! For reasons (I'm fifty & single again) I'll have 5K soon to spend on me and I dont envisage having that sort of cash in one lump ever again. I'm not a rich man. I do like a few beers and dont trust myself to not fritter it away !!

This post totally cracks me up and I can understand the sentiment. Buy your kit (looks good), have fun, and cheers!

Clueless Wanderer
Clueless Wanderer Senior Member • Posts: 1,243

chilliwinter wrote:

Hi,

Chilli

I have 2x f2 lenses, 3x f2.8 lenses and one f4 lens. If I jump from 70-200mm f2.8 to 300mm f4, I really pine for that 2.8. However, changing lens from f2.8 to f2, doesn't seem to be much of a difference for my shooting style. With this, I would say ditch the 16-35 and 50mm f1.8G and put the money to a Nikon 24-70 f2.8, she is my work horse, has been dropped, battered and bruised and still keeps on trucking ..albeit with some grunting and grinding noises these days, but the images from it are as good as the day it was bought.

I do a lot of landscape and find the majority of the time to be at 28mm, anything wider and I seem to pick up too much foreground clutter.

Just my style.. my taste.. my opinion..

Also to note about buying it all at once. When you buy one CD you play it to death. If you buy a bunch of them at the same time, you don't tend to get so much play time out of each individual one, maybe buying all at once, will have you spoiled for choice, becoming jack of all focal lengths, master of none. ...just a thought.

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +23 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,668

This is a really excellent setup.  The only change I would make is to trade off the SB910 for SB700 and the 60G Micro which is the jawdropping lens on the D610 for the okay 50G.  Don't listen to the little camera people, this is an absolutely stunning world class camera no matter what lens you use, as you'll soon see.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Giklab Contributing Member • Posts: 732

"Don't listen to the little camera people"

Sorry if we're threatening your manly
uberness with our puny APS-C and u4/3 sensored systems.

Hey OP, save up a bit more and get the Pentax 645Z for maximum manliness.

(A bit more seriously now. Take a look at the Pentax, Fujifilm and Olympus/Panasonic systems. In the future, I hope to save up enough money to get a 21 Limited, which is my dream street lens.)

Thanks for the welcome and all the comments. I am very grateful to everyone who posted for their time and opinions.

I think in general I get alot of people's points, too much money to spend all at one time and I don't NEED full frame. I particularly smiled at Ron's answer addressing my "where would you steer me" .. "to a decent investment broker". To those I say thankyou, wise words, you're probably right .. ofcourse I'm going to do it anyway !

Kept the "bio" shortish, but do want shallow dof and ultimate resolution, whilst at first reviving a passion, who knows, down the line may lead to some work and by then kit bought money gone. I'll feel a little more "future proofed". Coming from 35mm film slr, I always loved the size, weight, handling and just the professional feel of that type of tool. I'm also happier with lenses that I'm familiar with, I mean 50mm being 50 not 75, that may be daft, indeed I think I am a little daft, but I'll be happier !

As I still have a few months before buying I may change a few things round again ! Will look into macro and 85mm. Perhaps I'll be back with a 10 grand budget soon, until then .. cheers 

Nikon D610
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,986

chilliwinter wrote:

Hi,

Chilli

In your shoes I would get the D610 (or possibly the D800E), 18-35 AF-S, 24-85 AF-s, 70-200 F4 VR and a set of the 1.8 primes - 28 1.8G (although I would prefer 24 1.8G, but there is none), 35 1.8G, 50 1.8G (because it cost so little relative to its performance), 85 1.8G.

That is a sensible setup in regards to weight, cost and performance. The pros typically chooses 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8, but those are heavy for causal shooting.

One alternative to the 24-70 2.8 zooms is the Tamron 28-75 2.8. Its smaller and lighter.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
chris102 Senior Member • Posts: 1,446

chilliwinter wrote:

Hi,

Chilli

Not at all the kit I'd get for that kind of money. Go first class all the way, until the money runs out. 610? It's a compromise camera. Get a D4s or D800. Or whatever the top of the line Canon, or Sony is. Or a Leica.  Then get the best lens(es) money can buy. Like a Zeiss, or better.  Get exactly the features you want. And get a camera that will last you until the next big slug of money lands in your lap.

Don't compromise.

-- hide signature --
 chris102's gear list:chris102's gear list
Lytro Illum Apple iPhone 7 +4 more

Arrrgh ! PerL .. look what you've done ! Got me looking again. I originally had a line up very similar to your thoughts, 3 zooms & 3 primes. Then I edged the primes (35 & 85) out for better quality zooms. I've just looked at the 24-85 you suggest (nice and lightweight) and am thinking of going with that instead of the 24-70 and adding one of the "lost" primes (prob the 85). What I'd really like is the kit I posted and the 35/85 primes. Hmmm. Once it's all done I'll come back and let everyone know.

Ttfn

Nikon D610
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads