X-T1 goes to Beach...

Started Apr 24, 2014 | Discussions
Luego
Luego Senior Member • Posts: 1,182
Re: DR expansion Modes in RAW

Well, the X-trans sensor provides more headroom when shooting RAW vs JPEG. DR expansion is nothing else than underexposing the sensor by one (DR 200) or two (DR 400) stops to preserve highlights and pulling up the shadows after. This is done by the camera automatically when selecting Auto DR.

However, I would suggest to experiment shooting RAW and compare a shot using base ISO 200 with using - 1EV on the EC dial versus DR 200 and ISO 400 and see whether you get the same results in PP. Then try the same comparison with base ISO 200 using - 2EV versus DR 400 and ISO 800 and tell me if you see any difference.

My preference is to use the EC dial as required, because I like to be in control of the exposure. But many Fuji owners prefer the convenience of Auto DR and they let the camera decide.

Have fun with your new toy (tool)...;-)

Luego

Luego's gear list:Luego's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
JS Burnie
JS Burnie Senior Member • Posts: 2,266
Re: X-T1 goes to Beach...

I don't know whether "LOVE THEM!" counts as a critique, but it will have to do. Evening Light is my favourite. Nice work. You're selling me on this system.

-- hide signature --
 JS Burnie's gear list:JS Burnie's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Smiller4128 Regular Member • Posts: 477
Did you also have the Fuji 10-24mm lens?

I've been trying to do some research and choose between getting the fuji 14mm f2.8 or the Fuji 10-24mm f4 and I'm curious id you used the Fuji 10-24mm on some of these?

If so, I do believe you just sold me on getting the 10-24mm lens lol.

Absolutely stunning pictures!

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,439

Fantastic shot. I guess the location also helps but these are really great. The last one with the streamliner trailer is my favorite. Very pleasing pp too.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Fujifilm X-Pro2 +12 more
OP Evan Effa Veteran Member • Posts: 3,342

JS Burnie wrote:

I don't know whether "LOVE THEM!" counts as a critique, but it will have to do. Evening Light is my favourite. Nice work. You're selling me on this system.

-- hide signature --

Thank You very much JS.

This is a good system in a small easy to carry package.  The lenses are a delight.

-evan

-- hide signature --
 Evan Effa's gear list:Evan Effa's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Re: Did you also have the Fuji 10-24mm lens?

Smiller4128 wrote:

I've been trying to do some research and choose between getting the fuji 14mm f2.8 or the Fuji 10-24mm f4 and I'm curious id you used the Fuji 10-24mm on some of these?

If so, I do believe you just sold me on getting the 10-24mm lens lol.

Absolutely stunning pictures!

Thank you Smiller4128.

Yes, many of these images were shot with the 10-24 lens.  If you check the EXIF on most of the wide angle images you will see that the 10mm Focal length gets a lot of use.  The second, third & fourth images above were all with this lens.

My own feeling is that outside of low light street photography, the faster 14mm lens has less utility than the more versatile & wider zoom.  I'm often shooting wider than 14 mm & like to stop down to smaller apertures to exploit that huge depth of field at 10mm so the 10-24 is better fit for me.  The Mussels Galore image above was shot at 10mm & F13 with everything from the shells in the foreground  (3 inches from the lens) to the far distant islands in focus.  Quite impressive really.

I have had number of wide angle angle lenses from the 10.5 mm Nikkor Fisheye, the 15 mm Canon Fisheye & the 17-40 Canon but none have been as sharp, with so little CA & so little distortion.

It's a very impressive piece of glass -highly recommended.

-evan

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Fantastic shot. I guess the location also helps but these are really great. The last one with the streamliner trailer is my favorite. Very pleasing pp too.

-- hide signature --

Thank you very much Joachim.

I appreciate your comments.

-evan

-- hide signature --
MrGubrz
MrGubrz Senior Member • Posts: 1,210

some great shots

love the last one tho!

MrGubrz's gear list:MrGubrz's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony a9 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +12 more

MrGubrz wrote:

some great shots

love the last one tho!

Thanks MrGrubz.

It's interesting to find out people's preferences.  Thanks for the feedback.

-evan

-- hide signature --

Hi Luego,

I have played with things a bit regarding the DR settings & I now have to agree with you that when shooting  RAW the DR expansion settings provide no advantage & if using AutoISO will push the camera into higher ISO's unnecessarily.

I will post a careful comparative I have been playing with to provide some evidence for the above; but thought I would let you know that I appreciate your comment & nudge to check this out more.

-evan

-- hide signature --
twan Senior Member • Posts: 2,338

Great pictures, thanks for sharing,

I am/was also interested in yout 55-200 vs 100-400 comparison but in the past, I bought the 300F4IS for wildlife. Mostly I've shot slow moving animals like bears or bald eagles sitting in trees. AF of my canon 5DmkII isn't also best for fast moving objects but that was never a problem.

So I expect and hope... a 50-200 + X-T1 would be sufficient for me too...

twan's gear list:twan's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Luego
Luego Senior Member • Posts: 1,182

Evan Effa wrote:

Hi Luego,

I have played with things a bit regarding the DR settings & I now have to agree with you that when shooting RAW the DR expansion settings provide no advantage & if using AutoISO will push the camera into higher ISO's unnecessarily.

I will post a careful comparative I have been playing with to provide some evidence for the above; but thought I would let you know that I appreciate your comment & nudge to check this out more.

-evan

-- hide signature --

Hi Evan,

Yeah, the X-T1 is a fine camera, simplistic on the outside, but with complex functionality on the inside. It will take some time to get to know its strengths and use them to your advantage. Lots of information to digest.

Glad to be of help and let us know how you're getting on. Don't forget to post some snaps to cheer us up.

We're here in the East need some warmer temps, while you're already enjoying spring in BC...;-)

Cheers,

Luego

Posted with BB PlayBook

Luego's gear list:Luego's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads