Color space

Started Apr 24, 2014 | Discussions
Sherrieo
Sherrieo Regular Member • Posts: 149
Color space

Sorry if this isn't the right thread! What color space should I be saving my files as for clients to go print themselves? Both on my editing software (light room and photoshop) and my camera? Thanks so much!

Sherrie

Sherrieo's gear list:Sherrieo's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Ron AKA Veteran Member • Posts: 4,875
Re: Color space

sRGB unless the client wants something different.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Sherrieo
OP Sherrieo Regular Member • Posts: 149

That's what I've been doing but wanted to make sure! Thanks Ron!!

davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 4,024

+1 to Ron's reply

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
brucet
brucet Senior Member • Posts: 2,684

+2.

sRGB. The big 'thing' is to ensure everything is set the same. Camera, software, printer etc all in sRGB.

regards

brucet's gear list:brucet's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Sherrieo
OP Sherrieo Regular Member • Posts: 149

Very helpful! THank you so much!

Sherrie

Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Senior Member • Posts: 1,962

Sherrieo wrote:

Sorry if this isn't the right thread! What color space should I be saving my files as for clients to go print themselves?

You need to ask that question of your client.

If the client's going to get them printed at a professional printers, then you'll need to save the files in whatever colour space the client's printers want them saved at.

sRGB's the favourite for anything online and a lot of basic print shops use it by default but it's by no means the only one in use.

For example, the printers that I use actually send you colour profiles that you instal and apply to your files so that they can print them.

Both on my editing software (light room and photoshop) and my camera? Thanks so much!

Sherrie

As for software and your camera, a lot of people, myself included, prefer to do our editing using Adobe RGB, especially for prints.

I only convert my images to sRGB if they're intended to be used online.

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 5,565

brucet wrote:

+2.

sRGB. The big 'thing' is to ensure everything is set the same. Camera, software, printer etc all in sRGB.

Well...only for those who don't want to get into the complexities of color management. Then it is better and easier to set everything to sRGB.

But there isn't any problem setting the camera to Adobe RGB if shooting raw, and using an app like Lightroom that will automatically keep all the raw colors and convert properly on export. As long as the Export is set to sRGB, it doesn't matter how it came in, it will come out sRGB for clients.

I'm just a big fan of keeping all the colors my expensive camera can shoot, since I already have a monitor and printer that exceed sRGB. I want to reproduce as many colors as possible on my equipment, and setting everything to sRGB would just be a waste.

But certainly, when work goes outside, it's gotta be sRGB or whatever the printer wants.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads