Have you ever cast a vote in thumbnail view?

Started Apr 22, 2014 | Polls
barb_s
barb_s Contributing Member • Posts: 805
Have you ever cast a vote in thumbnail view?

I'm curious as to how many people feel voting is relevant at thumbnail view.

If you vote in challenges, even casually, have you ever clicked a star rating to vote while viewing just in thumbnail view - without looking at it it in a larger view?

Note - This does not include looking at photo's with your votes cast and adjusting them after you have voted in single image or slide show view.

barb_s's gear list:barb_s's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony RX100 III Leica Q Canon EOS 70D
POLL
No, Never
69.0% 29  votes
Yes, but this is due to hardware limits or network speed
4.8% 2  votes
Yes, often or regularly
11.9% 5  votes
Yes, rarely
14.3% 6  votes
  Show results
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,214
Re: Have you ever cast a vote in thumbnail view?

All-d-Time.  LOL.

Life is too short.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,214

Thread hijack!

Vote in this long-exposure challenge. Today last day!

Thumbnails or fullsize, whatever.  You won't reqret.  Quick Quick.

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=9609

barb_s wrote:

I'm curious as to how many people feel voting is relevant at thumbnail view.

If you vote in challenges, even casually, have you ever clicked a star rating to vote while viewing just in thumbnail view - without looking at it it in a larger view?

Note - This does not include looking at photo's with your votes cast and adjusting them after you have voted in single image or slide show view.

Brian in Montana
Brian in Montana Regular Member • Posts: 442

No. Voting based solely on the thumbnail disregards 80-90% of the "quality" of the photo.

barb_s
OP barb_s Contributing Member • Posts: 805

I just did... but those photo's needed slide show mode to see the detail  IMHO

ConanFuji wrote:

Thread hijack!

Vote in this long-exposure challenge. Today last day!

Thumbnails or fullsize, whatever. You won't reqret. Quick Quick.

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=9609

-- hide signature --

Barb

barb_s's gear list:barb_s's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony RX100 III Leica Q Canon EOS 70D
Jack Cat Regular Member • Posts: 153

I've seen some absolutely awful photos with high scores simply because they looked good as a thumbnail. When viewed larger, as they should be, the poor focus, noise and lack of detail are readily apparent. Likewise I've seen some terrific photos with low scores, again because many voters only viewed the thumbnail. When viewed larger subtle color differences, textures and details that the photographer intended to be seen become readily apparent. Casting votes based on thumbnail views is simply lazy and does a disservice to the photographer. It benefits unworthy photos at the expense of the good ones.

Jack Cat's gear list:Jack Cat's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +6 more
Nick_Brisbane Senior Member • Posts: 1,086
Only slide show (nt)

No text.

Nick_Brisbane's gear list:Nick_Brisbane's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR
mschf
mschf Veteran Member • Posts: 9,248
Not really...

Brian in Montana wrote:

No. Voting based solely on the thumbnail disregards 80-90% of the "quality" of the photo.

That depends. Some topics require a magnified look-see, most don't. Often the thumbnail is enough to tell you that an entry is crap, no matter how "quality" it is technically.

-- hide signature --

~ Martin

mschf's gear list:mschf's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
Brian in Montana
Re: Not really...

mschf wrote:

Brian in Montana wrote:

That depends. Some topics require a magnified look-see, most don't. Often the thumbnail is enough to tell you that an entry is crap, no matter how "quality" it is technically.

Respectfully, I have not observed this in the challenges I have looked through or voted on (though this is only a few dozen at this point). In all cases I am familiar with, objective measures such as focus, DOF and inclusion/exclusion of distracting elements cannot be discerned with any certainty by looking at the thumbnail. I can see where a general idea of the composition, shading and color are evident, but I would never feel as though I did a very good job of judging without looking at my "winners" closely, if only to distinguish between the best and the not-quite-best. To each their own.

Brian

mschf
mschf Veteran Member • Posts: 9,248

Brian in Montana wrote:

mschf wrote:

Brian in Montana wrote:

Respectfully, I have not observed this in the challenges I have looked through or voted on (though this is only a few dozen at this point). In all cases I am familiar with, objective measures such as focus, DOF and inclusion/exclusion of distracting elements cannot be discerned with any certainty by looking at the thumbnail.

Yes, that's why I wrote that some topics do require a magnified inspection of the image, ie. topics where images are expected to demonstrate some kind of technical goodness (say, landscapes, birds..... and so on). Personally I don't bother voting on those kinds of images, I find them boring and pointless. I prefer to look at images with substance a.k.a. emphasize some sort of context rather than the technical stuff.... and it's exactly with those kinds of photos that a thumbnail is more than sufficient in determining whether it's going to be a decent image or not. You seem to think photos are first about technical quality, everything else is secondary. I think technical quality is a far, far, faaaaaar second to context.

I can see where a general idea of the composition, shading and color are evident, but I would never feel as though I did a very good job of judging without looking at my "winners" closely, if only to distinguish between the best and the not-quite-best. To each their own.

Again, it's about the "technicalities" for you, and sure, in that case, view the images at full size. I can't be bothered... see one shot of the same ol' rock at Yosemite at 6 a.m., seen 'em all, same goes for some bird swooping in to snag a fish out of water, same for flowers and bug macros etc , but I do agree, to each their own

-- hide signature --

~ Martin

mschf's gear list:mschf's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
Brian in Montana

mschf wrote:

Brian in Montana wrote:

mschf wrote:

Brian in Montana wrote:

Respectfully, I have not observed this in the challenges I have looked through or voted on (though this is only a few dozen at this point). In all cases I am familiar with, objective measures such as focus, DOF and inclusion/exclusion of distracting elements cannot be discerned with any certainty by looking at the thumbnail.

Yes, that's why I wrote that some topics do require a magnified inspection of the image, ie. topics where images are expected to demonstrate some kind of technical goodness (say, landscapes, birds..... and so on). Personally I don't bother voting on those kinds of images, I find them boring and pointless. I prefer to look at images with substance a.k.a. emphasize some sort of context rather than the technical stuff.... and it's exactly with those kinds of photos that a thumbnail is more than sufficient in determining whether it's going to be a decent image or not. You seem to think photos are first about technical quality, everything else is secondary. I think technical quality is a far, far, faaaaaar second to context.

I can see where a general idea of the composition, shading and color are evident, but I would never feel as though I did a very good job of judging without looking at my "winners" closely, if only to distinguish between the best and the not-quite-best. To each their own.

Again, it's about the "technicalities" for you, and sure, in that case, view the images at full size. I can't be bothered... see one shot of the same ol' rock at Yosemite at 6 a.m., seen 'em all, same goes for some bird swooping in to snag a fish out of water, same for flowers and bug macros etc , but I do agree, to each their own

Sorry to disappoint you, Martin, but you have me wrong. In fact, I award the highest ratings to challenge entries which above all have the greatest aesthetic appeal (or context, as you would say). I started a thread a little while ago asking specifically what methods people use to rate challenge entries, and in my original post I included my own "method", saying the following: "I use slideshow to view the entries, and when I think I may be missing something I go to the full-sized image. I go through the entries giving my ratings based on "fit to the rules" and aesthetic appeal, with adjustment for quality issues." The technical aspects of the entries serve (in my case) as a way to differentiate between those that are equivalent by subjective (non-technical) measures.

That said, if I am presented with two photos of the same subject, but where one is technically superior to the other, I will say the technically superior one is a better photo. However, if the "context" is poor in these photos, then I would rate them both lowly. So, your statement that I "seem to think photos are first about technical quality, everything else is secondary" is inaccurate. Personally, I find it incredulous that anyone would vote based solely on thumbnails, whether with regard to judging aesthetic appeal, "context", technical quality or just about any other aspect. It also makes me wonder if these same people go to an art museum and prefer to stand a hundred feet from the paintings. I guess I just don't get it.

Regardless of all this, my intention is to do my best when rating challenge entries, and I generally end up feeling good about the results. If you arrive at your ratings in a different way, I am not here to argue about it.

Regards, Brian

BlancheBarbe
BlancheBarbe Forum Member • Posts: 75

Only to obviously irrelevant photos.

To avoid people just voting on the thumbnails, DPR might slightly change the voting process = not allowing to vote on thumbnails, but keeping below them the display of the already given stars.

BlancheBarbe's gear list:BlancheBarbe's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
johnqadams New Member • Posts: 20

I don't think it's a good idea to vote on such small views.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads