Olympus 25mm F1.8 buyers regret

Started Apr 19, 2014 | Discussions
Ridethelight Regular Member • Posts: 219
Olympus 25mm F1.8 buyers regret

I purchased the Oly 25mm as a replacement for my Panny 20mm due to the AF speed, but I find I prefer the rendering of the 20mm and possibly seems slightly sharper as well.

I know the Oly AF speed is faster, but I have seen it miss focus quite a few times on my EM10 and GX7, the 20mm is slower but more reliable in all light to be honest.

Anyone else feel the same about these 2 lenses ??

Ridethelight's gear list:Ridethelight's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Apple iPhone 5s
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ron Evers
Ron Evers Senior Member • Posts: 1,542
Re: Olympus 25mm F1.8 buyers regret

Still waiting for mine, ordered from Oly March 20.  The reviews were very positive so your post is a bit surprising.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +13 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 12,415

Have both and so far am preferring the 25. Sharpness seems beyond reproach, so you're having a different experience to be sure.

Cheers

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

hhcs
hhcs Forum Member • Posts: 97

Ridethelight wrote:

I know the Oly AF speed is faster, but I have seen it miss focus quite a few times on my EM10 and GX7, the 20mm is slower but more reliable in all light to be honest.

I noticed the same thing with the Oly 45mm, which is an excellent lens. The Panny 20mm is a very reliable lens, for sure.

hhcs's gear list:hhcs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
traveler_101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,800

Ridethelight wrote:

I purchased the Oly 25mm as a replacement for my Panny 20mm due to the AF speed, but I find I prefer the rendering of the 20mm and possibly seems slightly sharper as well.

I know the Oly AF speed is faster, but I have seen it miss focus quite a few times on my EM10 and GX7, the 20mm is slower but more reliable in all light to be honest.

I have both and I am intent on keeping both. The 25/1.8 is sharp but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the P 20 tests out sharper. I like the rendering and the colours with the 25mm and the focus is spot on. With the P 20 I was often missing focus when shooting snapshots of the grandchildren. The 25/1.8 is not flawless but it is very, very good at getting critical focus quickly. It also can get much closer in to the subject than the P 20.

Recently i read that the P 20 is actually closer to a 19mm, i.e. 38mm equivalence. That's pretty close to a moderate wide angle (35mm). It's an excellent landscape lens.

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Shirozina Regular Member • Posts: 422

I'm the opposite. I'm on my 2nd 20mm as the first one never got sharp at the edges and corners. The 2nd one is better but it's still not anything special. I'm going to try the 25mm 1.8...........

nilsca Forum Member • Posts: 67

Still love mine and I "downgraded"    from the 25/1.4

nilsca's gear list:nilsca's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 +1 more
Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,777

Ridethelight wrote:

Who is going to buy both of those lenses?

Certainly not me.

I have the Lumix 20mm, excellent lens.

If I need the same thing but with superfast AF I'll just spend a third of the money on a Sigma.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

traveler_101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,800

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

Certainly not me.

If I need the same thing but with superfast AF I'll just spend a third of the money on a Sigma.

Supplement the P 20/1.7 with the Sigma 30/2.8: I had this in mind originally. But I wanted more speed for inside shooting and after reading several reviews I was not confident about the Sigma's focus speed: it seemed to be good, but not excellent. And I was both attracted and repelled by the 60mm equivalent FL. Interesting, but wasn't sure I'd like it. In the end I decided the heck with it and plunked down the money for the 25/1.8. And I've kept the 20/1.7 which I bought back in early 2010 when I got into m43. By the way, the Sigma was $199.00 which is half the price of the Olympus lens, not one third. I agree it is a good deal.

To the OP: you should give the 25/1.8 a chance. You might well find use for both lenses in time.

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Ollie 2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,558

Ridethelight wrote:

A lot of people don't feel comfortable with 50mm. I've always struggled with it. Sold my Voigtlander 25mm and so far feel little regret.

Having said that I'm unaccountably enjoying the Fuji35mm.

Go figure.

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +20 more
ukeolo Regular Member • Posts: 181

Ridethelight wrote:

I can buy it from you if you want to sell it.

jackkurtz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,504

I'm using them on an E-P5. I think image quality of the two is very good, I have no complaints with either lens. But my 25mm f1.8 focuses much faster and more reliably than the 20mm does/did. I had a lot of misfocused images with the 20, very few with the 25.

jackkurtz's gear list:jackkurtz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +6 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 12,415

To follow up, 20 and 25mm are fairly close but in practice are distinctly different focal lengths. Anybody who cut their photographic "teeth" with an SLR and standard 50mm lens will feel instantly at home with the 25/1.8 or 1.4. A sample shot from earlier this week--first time I've spent any time with the 25. (As always with a DPR Gallery shot, look at the original for the detail.)

Am impressed there's not a dramatic amount of detail gained from stopping down. Have noticed purple fringing on a few shots, correctable in LR so far. Pops up with the 75/1.8 as well.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Joe Sesto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,084

Ollie 2 wrote:

Ridethelight wrote:

A lot of people don't feel comfortable with 50mm. I've always struggled with it. Sold my Voigtlander 25mm and so far feel little regret.

Having said that I'm unaccountably enjoying the Fuji35mm.

Go figure.

Ollie, I could not agree more on the limited need for a 50mm (equiv) prime. The only time I used my Canon EF 50/1.4 was on a 1.6 FOV Canon body as a short Tele.

I like the P 20/1.7 as a unimposing walkabout lens...and have no IQ complaints. I kept it after I trade off my E-M5 for the E-M1....as it wasn't worth much as a trade. One of these days my wife will want an MFT and it will find more use. I just got the 17/1.8 and expect it to become my prime prime.

Joe Sesto
Canon 5D - 1DIII - Oly E-M1

Joe Sesto's gear list:Joe Sesto's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 5D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 3,819

It's not hard for the lens to miss focus at very close distances (a few feet) and at large apertures.. I tried using the single AF point to focus and reframe the shot but it could still miss. I have learnt to touch the shutter release button to AF and then use the focus ring to fine tune focus for more precision each time I am in such a situation, as I have lost confidence in its AF at very close distances.

This is a "nothing" lens, not stellar in anything - sharpness, AF, CA (bit weak for a prime), size, or whatever, and the FL is not exciting either but that's not its fault although it tends to deliver more boring pictures unless you work harder (compared to a longer or shorter FL) to get more interesting pictures by finding the right framing to suit its FOV, as this lens has no perspective distortion, no flattening or compression of distance, no nothing, i.e. no help. :-). Some of photographers however like the lens for what it is and choose it for that FL (and they also do not like art filters and similar "aids").

berni29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,950

Hi

At the end of the day it is about the focus speed, accuracy and focal length. Unless your pixel peeping is actually what it is about (and it can be, why not?) then the IQ of both is good enough for sure.

I do find that for more critical focus situations that I change focus modes more often these days and rather than single point mix in some face detect and manual. Especially with fast lenses wide open.

-- hide signature --

Berni29
EM-5, GM1 + Pana 12-32mm, 35-100mm f2.8, 20mm, 14-45mm Oly 45mm, 50mm F2 macro, (prev GH1, E30, E510, E1, E300, LX3)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony Alpha a7 Fujifilm X-T10 +15 more
Impulses Senior Member • Posts: 6,292

Ridethelight wrote:

Certainly not me.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

I would, but only because the 25/1.8 would be a gift for my mother... And I'm still thinking whether it's worth it at all, as she already has the 12-35/2.8 (also a gift from her son).

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +32 more
Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,777

Impulses wrote:

Ridethelight wrote:

Who is going to buy both of those lenses?...

I would, but only because the 25/1.8 would be a gift for my mother... And I'm still thinking whether it's worth it at all, as she already has the 12-35/2.8 (also a gift from her son).

I see your cunning plan.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

Impulses Senior Member • Posts: 6,292

Hah, I'm really not scheming with that one, wellllll, I might borrow it if I need the faster AF... So maybe just a little bit. Haven't borrowed the 12-35 even once tho and that thing cost as much as my humble GF + my first two primes. The Sigma 60mm I'll get her eventually is totally a self benefiting scheme tho!

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +32 more
Shirozina Regular Member • Posts: 422

Ridethelight wrote:

Just taken delivery of the 25mm 1.8. Done some quick tests on distant objects and it's very very slightly less sharp than the 20mm in the centre at all apertures under F8  it's a LOT sharper at the corners and edges of the frame. The classic 50mm look with a very even performance across the field and it's a keeper - no buyer regret. The 20mm is nice enough but is just not consistent enough across the frame and it's going - may try and pair it with a 15/17mm........

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads