*** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.04.19 ***

Started Apr 19, 2014 | Discussions
rickreyn
rickreyn Senior Member • Posts: 1,493
Re: Some photos from Florida's Wilderness...

Is it level? I had the function on in the EVF and it was according to that. I always use it. However, the picture plays tricks on your eyes and I admit that. I'm going to play with it to see if I can solve that issue.

Sorry, I misunderstood you initially having not scrolled sufficiently on my your iPhone.

rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +2 more
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,597
The Royal Palace that Became a Salami Factory.

This summer palace built by the Duke of Modena  in Sassuolo Italy during its slow decline at one point was used as a salami factory.

It is now being slowly restored to its former glory.

You can read some more here: http://nigelvoak.blogspot.it/

Fun shot with the Samyang 7.5

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5
NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 4,695
Re: The Royal Palace that Became a Salami Factory.

Those shots remind me of the Vatican.

S

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 12-35 f2.8, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +12 more
rickreyn
Re: Some photos from Florida's Wilderness...

It is now level to the eye. Thanks for your levelheadedness!

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +2 more
NCV
Re: Worker Ants.

Nice idea played out well in the first four shots.

NCV
Re: Seeing Double & other stories

I like the bold simplicity of the photographer shot that for me is the standout in a nice set.

NCV
Re: *** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.04.19 ***

Wonderful set of pictures from what must have been a really difficult assignment.

I work in the construction industry so I know how difficult it is to get good shots "on site".

NCV
Re: Insect Macro

I like the ants shot. It is nice to see something happening in a macro shot.

yyr
yyr Veteran Member • Posts: 8,056
Re: Seeing Double & other stories

Michael L NYC 99 wrote:

yyr wrote:

My favourite this week...

I did all the shots in this post at the Tate last Sunday, inside and outside. I only took abou 8/10 photos of people but when I put them up on the computer I was struck by the degree to which the images were composed around strong geometrical elements. It was unconscious and interesting to realise.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

I like the first two the most, although I think both have distractions on the edges. The first has people truncated on the left and right sides, although there really isn't anything to be done about this as it's real life and not a staged photo. The thin oof right edge of the second photo is a bit jarring. I think it would be preferable to have more of the frame in the shot or out completely.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

See my Flickr photostream here Michael.Lee.Pics.NYC

Thanks Michael. It's an interesting comment - particularly re the shot of the woman. Your suggestion was the most obvious crop and the first thing I tried (see below) but I liked the version above better because I think it adds a bit of transition & mystery to the shot. I felt that otherwise it just looks like I've cut her off in the wrong place. I think it has been one of my struggles to move away from absolute 'neatness' in an image to something that allows for more interpretation. A year or two ago I would have just binned this shot.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

yyr's gear list:yyr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Leica T Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander 10.5mm F0.95 Nokton +5 more
rickreyn
Re: Town & Country

Keep on exploiting. Great shots.

SunsetBk Regular Member • Posts: 421
Re: *** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.04.19 ***

Nothing too great this week.  Light was really harsh on my walks.

SunsetBk's gear list:SunsetBk's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Sony FE 28mm F2 +6 more
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,297
Re: A pheasant surprise, Jaly!

Hen3ry wrote:

In this series, though, you seem to be stuck with your center of interest pretty much slap bang in the middle of the frame. I wonder whether you were nailed by your focus point?

If you had beren using the GM1, of course, you could have composed then just tapped the screen where the pheasant was to set the focus point.

LOL!

Cheers, Geoff

I have to say, it was kind of hard to think of compositional elements while chasing a fast moving critter down the road and simultaneously trying to hold the 100-300mm stable enough to get anything other than a fuzzy mess of a shot .

In this case, the bulk and grip of the EM1 were essential....I would have really had a hard time hanging on to the GM1 with the 100-300mm while sailing down the street after this guy!

-J

jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,297
Thanks, all :)

Much obliged for your comments!

It was such a treat to have that pheasant basically knock on the door...I just had to share .

-J

minniev Senior Member • Posts: 2,756
the CCC in Arkansas

The Civilian Conservation Corps did quite a lot of work in Arkansas in the 1930's, and much of it is still viable, though some is in ruins now.

a dam in the Ouchita National Forest

a lodge on the peak of Petit Jean Mountain

a clever way to disguise a water tower

one of the overlooks in Petit Jean Sate Park

a bridge too crooked to be photographed properly

CCC training camp ruins - Only the foundation remains but in this building many young men were trained as photographers

Wormsmeat
OP Wormsmeat Forum Pro • Posts: 15,103
*** PART 2 NOW LAUNCHED. Post NEW pics there***
  • This allows people to continue to post comments about existing pics here in Part 1
  • It will prevents the tail-enders on Part 1 getting no comments at all.
  • Feel free to continue to post comments and replies to Part 1 BUT...
  • Now Part 2 has been launched, post all new photographs to that.
 Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +6 more
HKA New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Worker Ants.

Always enjoy seeing pictures of London. All good. My clear favourite, though, is Nr. 2 - red coat.

justpictures

HKA New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Trip to zoo with GX7 and Panny 45-200

Rhino is my favouirite owing to colour and skin contrast. I hope you enjoy your Pan 45-200 as much as I do. Have posted some taken with it further down myself, but mostly cropped and taken from far away without tripod.

justpictures

Florida Nature Photographer Veteran Member • Posts: 8,107
Some specific questions

Please look at these first (preferably full size) and consider your impression. Then read the caption for specific concerns I'd like you to consider. Full disclosure; One isn't m43 but I want to read your thoughts. Other comments welcome, as well, of course. Thanks.

Are the buildings on the horizon out of focus? Does it detract from the image?

Is there too much here? Should it either be the bottom half by itself, or the top half by itself?

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more
Jon Conner Regular Member • Posts: 467
Old Hudson

justpictures1 New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Some specific questions

Your questions:

a) As small as the buildings are, it seems ok and wouldn't really matter, I think. But to me they have to be there. Without them it would be one of a thousand sunsets.

b) Similar. A waterfall is a waterfall unless there is sth. special about it. Without the lower half, there wouldn't, I think. Lower half alone? Can't imagine.Simply seeing a nice kind of rainbow on green grass would not do it for me. It is good the way it is. Just my opinion.

m43 or not? I have one (uncropped) in this week's posting of mine which is taken with LX7. If it wasn't for the exif data, who would notice?

So I think both are fine.

justpictures

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads