*** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.04.19 ***

Started Apr 19, 2014 | Discussions
Michael L NYC 99
Michael L NYC 99 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,213
Re: Worker Ants.

I like the sepia toned image the best as it is strongest in composition. Some of the shots seem abruptly truncated at the bottom.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

See my Flickr photostream here Michael.Lee.Pics.NYC

Michael L NYC 99's gear list:Michael L NYC 99's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +15 more
Michael L NYC 99
Re: half way spring

Nice tones although the highlights look a bit clipped. I assume these were infrared.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +15 more
Michael L NYC 99
Re: Trip to zoo with GX7 and Panny 45-200

chrisjjb wrote:

Trip to the zoo... good day for it. All handheld shots. Aperture priority with f7.1 and fixed ISO

missed the tail and the eye is just OOF but still nice

My 2 animals

These shots are lovely!

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 35,923
Note to self

Stop complaining about MY job.

Is this your job, or did you manage to get access?    Very impressive, either way.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
Michael L NYC 99
Re: Nature mix

klythawk wrote:

Greylag posing with a mouthful........GH3/100-300mm

Glasswing resting........EM1/60mm macro

Great Crested Grebe........GH3/100-300mm

Thanks for looking, enjoy the Easter holiday, John.

Terrific and sharp! I especially like the butterfly with transparent wings. I've never seen such species in my neck of the woods or limited travels.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

Wormsmeat
OP Wormsmeat Forum Pro • Posts: 16,316
Re: GM1 meets fungus

Hen3ry wrote:

(what if Tavurvur erupted and I didn't have a camera in my hand?),

Jeez, the number of times I've said the same thing...

#2 wins for me...

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +5 more
Wormsmeat
Re: *** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.04.19 ***

Excellent! and different!

Great colours and sense of place. I can almost smell the sweat.

#3 wins (just) from a great set.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +5 more
Michael L NYC 99

Iitaly wrote:

Tree in a field of rape. The image was used by the B.B.C. as the banner on their facebook page. It was taken in north Nottinghamshire not to far from Robin Hood country. ( and I'm happy with the wind turbine )

Well done. Nice rich colors.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

Wormsmeat
Re: Some photos from Florida's Wilderness...

Really like the lush tones of #1. I'd like to be there now instead of decorating my house. Not sure it's level though (?).

LWW Contributing Member • Posts: 597
Re: Note to self

My job, 3 days of mine site work. First time using the Pannys underground, GX7 & G3. Also use Pentax kit but these little guys were all over them for versatility.

Edit: Not my full time job working underground - had 30 years of that as a diesel mechanic, this was a paid assignment for my new career of the last 10 years.

LWW's gear list:LWW's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp1 Quattro Sigma dp3 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro Pentax *ist D +37 more
Michael L NYC 99
Re: GM1 meets fungus

Hen3ry wrote:

I was strolling down to the local store on Good Friday morning to get some emergency mobile phone credit, when I saw the fungi pictured. Naturally, I had broken my golden rule of never leaving my camera behind (what if Tavurvur erupted and I didn't have a camera in my hand?), but fortunately I w only 100 meters from home, so I turned around and hoisted the GM1 with 12-32 lens out of the anti-humidity box.

And this is what I got:

An abject failure to adjust exposure! I took 3 shots, slightly reframing, all at he same exposure, knowing very well I was blowing he white fungus. Sigh!

That's more like it! This is slightly dark to get detail in the white fungus.

If anything every looked poisonous looking, it has to be this green fungus. (The red in the previous pic looks pretty nasty too!)

Looking at this collection, I see I missed a market here. I should have taken some close-ups of each of the kinds of fungus I was seeing for stock pix.

Cheers, geoff

Very nice colors and well exposed. I especially like the final image. They look a bit like striated rocks.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

Michael L NYC 99

LWW wrote:

Working hard underground, suffering the heat and super saline water raining.

I like these documentary style photos. The black and white portrait is my favorite of the set. I wonder if the third photo would work better if the background was in focus instead of the person.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

LWW Contributing Member • Posts: 597

As the client brief was personal based - people in focus. But I do appreciate the observation.

LWW's gear list:LWW's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp1 Quattro Sigma dp3 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro Pentax *ist D +37 more
Michael L NYC 99
Re: Seeing Double & other stories

yyr wrote:

My favourite this week...

I did all the shots in this post at the Tate last Sunday, inside and outside. I only took abou 8/10 photos of people but when I put them up on the computer I was struck by the degree to which the images were composed around strong geometrical elements. It was unconscious and interesting to realise.

I like the first two the most, although I think both have distractions on the edges. The first has people truncated on the left and right sides, although there really isn't anything to be done about this as it's real life and not a staged photo. The thin oof right edge of the second photo is a bit jarring. I think it would be preferable to have more of the frame in the shot or out completely.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

Michael L NYC 99
Washington DC and New York

A few more shots from last week in Washington DC and some shots back in New York this week.

Cherry blossoms around the Jefferson Memorial

View from the Jefferson Memorial looking toward the Washington Monument

Post sunset view of the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial

HDR panorama showing the cherry trees ringing the Tidal Basin. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing is on the right.

Night view from the Mall

One from the NY Meet Up the other night at Riverside Park. There are other photos in the NY Meet Up thread from Bob and Richard.

Fireworks in New York Harbor last night

One more of the fireworks. This one with Lady Liberty.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 35,923
Town & Country

Or, country and town.

This past weekend I looked for some broad scenics in Bovina (foothills west of the Catskills) that were accessible via ATV. Come take a short ride. . .

I have permission to ride on 800 acres of private property, much of it hay fields. I liked the view, though couldn't quite manage to find much in the way of f/g interest to feature.

Panoramic

The next day I was going to move to a reservoir, but with the wind of the weekend (gusty ,but thankfully warm) I figured if the sky wasn't a good showing it wasn't worth the trip with the water not being very reflective, so I stayed local again. On the way back to this location I found this scene. . .

This area falls into shadow earlier than in the higher fields, but it has some f/g elements and a nice view into the center interest. In retrospect I should have been here near sunset. But I went back to that field from the prior day (rather, another field near the prior evening's elevation and location).

Better light than the evening before. Waited around further, just because it was so pleasant. Started the ride back as it got dark. Stopped again on the way, at a dirt road that the beavers are flooding out. The peepers and frog chorus was as enchanting as it was loud. The harmonics they produced reverberated in my head - at times I thought I heard dogs barking and mumbled voices within the chorus. Love that experience. The moon was out, so I lingered and took out the tripod.

The conflict was to keep the shutter short enough to avoid excessively distracting streaks of stars, but in doing that I found I had to raise the exposure in post. In the field on the LCD the exposures looked brighter, but that's what happens at night (deceiving). And there was much noise for that (he frowned). I should have upped the ISO somewhat, in retrospect.

Stars cloned out.

Oh, yea. . . I was to give you a ride. . .

Back in town this week, for the scheduled meet up I decided to work w/o tripod, as since the meet-ups started I haven't worked w/o the tripod. Being able to mix it up like this, with the array of glass this format takes, is one of the joys of this format afaic.

This would be better, I think, if the top were cropped a bit. That center tower draws my eye to the top of the frame looking for the peak of the building as it is here.

I'm fortunate to have both NYC and a refuge in the country to try to exploit. To exploit them better. . . is the work in progress.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
justpictures1 New Member • Posts: 24
Spring is in the air

Hi

As I can no longer access my old account, I had to create a new one adding "1" to the old name.

Some pictures from our annual Easter outing to Stuttgart. The "scaffolded statue"-ones (no Exif provided due to frames) are taken with my G2 (heavily cropped; with Panasonic 45-200 mm at 166 and 200 mm). I could not make up my mind which of the 2 to upload. The "art"-picture was taken with my LX 7 - did not have my G2 with me. C+C welcome.

justpictures

NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 4,767
Insect Macro

Some insect macro shots from yesterday morning.

I drove to KL to meet up with Robin Wong for some street shooting. However, I had an hour to kill so headed out to a butterfly park to get some insect shots.

All photos taken with the E-P3, M. Zuiko 60/2.8 Macro and FL-600R flash.

Sorry for posting so many - a few of them are quite similar to each other, but I can't decide which ones I prefer.

S

A butterfly being eaten by ants - don't see this too often.

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 12-35 f2.8, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +12 more
NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 4,767
Re: Nature mix

klythawk wrote:

All the shots are nice.

I especially like the grebe photo, but it's cropped a bit close to its head for my taste - maybe you could give it a bit more space?

S

Greylag posing with a mouthful........GH3/100-300mm

Glasswing resting........EM1/60mm macro

Great Crested Grebe........GH3/100-300mm

Thanks for looking, enjoy the Easter holiday, John.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 12-35 f2.8, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +12 more
rickreyn
rickreyn Senior Member • Posts: 1,507
Re: Some photos from Florida's Wilderness...

Flat Florida as we know it! Thanks for the comments!
--
http://www.gloriographs.com
http://www.gloriography.com

rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads