X-E1 and X-E2 for Wedding photography

Started Apr 18, 2014 | Discussions
lovenyc New Member • Posts: 16
X-E1 and X-E2 for Wedding photography

Hi, Anyone using the X-E1 and X-E2 for wedding photography? What's your experience using these  cameras? Thanks, Kal

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PenPix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,261
Re: X-E1 and X-E2 for Wedding photography

I have the X-E1. I haven't shot a wedding with it yet, but I regularly shoot portraits and events so the experience will be similar.  I would not rely on my X-E1 solely for a wedding job.

If the situation is controlled and sufficiently lit for the AF (i.e.. posed formal shots), I would not hesitate to use it. However, for quick grab shots, especially in low light (i.e. couple walking down the aisle), I know I will miss shots.  The AF on the Fuji tends to hunt and I have missed shots and got too many out-of-focus shots because of this.

Another issue is that the flash system with the Fuji is quite incomplete compared to my Nikon. The Nikon is more more advanced AND better balanced to hold. I tried using the X-E1 with a flash bracket… it is an unpleasant experience.

In a studio with Pocket Wizards controlling the strobes, the Fuji is actually quite nice to use.  It's basically in "Live View" mode all the time, and much better at it than Nikon.

Because Nikon is my main system, my backup camera is also Nikon.  This way I can use the same lenses and accessories during the event.  If I had to use the Fuji as my backup or 2nd camera, that would mean that have to carry  2 full systems with me.

I haven't had the pleasure of using the X-T1 yet, but it may address some of the problems with the AF I've been having.  The flash system is still a issue that Fuji needs to develop.

OP lovenyc New Member • Posts: 16

Thanks PenPix. Very informative and much appreciated. Kal

jonnie burtoft Contributing Member • Posts: 534

Hi, I used the x-pro and xe2 at a wedding a few weeks ago, I was a second photograher. I found the x-pro was fine in good light, the xe2 was infinitely better in low light and was good for the first dance type shots, I used a bit of fill flash from the x20 flash fired off camera with remotes.

My main lenses were the 18-55 on the x-pro and 60mm on the xe2. I also used the 35mm at times. My main criteria for the wedding was informal shots, I covered the groom and ushers in the pub before, guests arriving at church, shots from the balcony in the church and guests at the reception. I dealt with bright sunshine to dark churches, the cameras in the main done what I needed, however if I was to be the sole photographer I would use a dslr as the af, flash system and battery life were superior. Cheers, Jon

Thanks Jon. Nice to hear your views from a real wedding experience. I was actually thinking of ditching my Nikon D600s for the Fuji.

ovlov Senior Member • Posts: 1,441

I haven't yet. I'm going to attempt to use my X-E2 a bit at a wedding next weekend. I'm thinking mostly for situations that rely on natural light. I'll primarily be using a Canon 6D and 7D.

I wouldn't rely on an X-E2 as the primary body due to its autofocus performance and slow buffer. The X-E2 will sometimes fail to lock focus on a contrasty target for no reason. It also sometimes indicates focus lock when nothing in the frame is in focus. I'm not overly confident of the AF tracking for people. It's also too small of a body to mount a speedlight on.

I think the image quality is more than good enough for weddings.  Fuji's 18-55 would actually make a pretty decent lens for weddings. It's the general inadequacies of mirrorless cameras that would make it a risky choice.

mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340

PenPix wrote:

I have the X-E1. I haven't shot a wedding with it yet, but I regularly shoot portraits and events so the experience will be similar. I would not rely on my X-E1 solely for a wedding job.

I would definitely not use a XE1 for indoor wedding.  For family and fun stuff yes, but not for indoor low light wedding because the AF does hunt.

If the situation is controlled and sufficiently lit for the AF (i.e.. posed formal shots), I would not hesitate to use it. However, for quick grab shots, especially in low light (i.e. couple walking down the aisle), I know I will miss shots. The AF on the Fuji tends to hunt and I have missed shots and got too many out-of-focus shots because of this.

Another issue is that the flash system with the Fuji is quite incomplete compared to my Nikon. The Nikon is more more advanced AND better balanced to hold. I tried using the X-E1 with a flash bracket… it is an unpleasant experience.

Ummm!  Interesting comment about the "unpleasant" experience.  I was wondering about that myself, about getting a flash bracket.  Your comment answered my question.

I use my SB600 on my XE1 and that alone is a very unpleasant feeling.  I thought i would get use to it but the feeling on my hand is just awkward and i have a very hard time trying to balance the whole thing as well.  I can do it, but is not the same as when holding my S5 Pro.

-

In a studio with Pocket Wizards controlling the strobes, the Fuji is actually quite nice to use. It's basically in "Live View" mode all the time, and much better at it than Nikon.

Because Nikon is my main system, my backup camera is also Nikon. This way I can use the same lenses and accessories during the event. If I had to use the Fuji as my backup or 2nd camera, that would mean that have to carry 2 full systems with me.

I haven't had the pleasure of using the X-T1 yet, but it may address some of the problems with the AF I've been having. The flash system is still a issue that Fuji needs to develop.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more

Hi Ovlov,

Thanks for the info. Please let me know how the camera behaves at the wedding. Kal

ThachLy Regular Member • Posts: 264

lovenyc wrote:

Hi, Anyone using the X-E1 and X-E2 for wedding photography? What's your experience using these cameras? Thanks, Kal

I have used my XE-1 in 2 engagements and 2 weddings, only as a second photographer, for a family's friend, not as a main photog. A few things I have learnt:

1. Lenses: get yourself a 55-200mm. Its a brilliant lens for portraits/closeup. A 14mm is a must for large group shots. A 35mm is a must for night shots on the dance floor.

2. Flash: get a Yongnuo YN650II or equivalent for indoor large area shot, eg. church. Not a must but save using hi ISO.

3. Bodies: I would definitely get another body, XA-1 or XM-1 if you're on a budget.

4. Batteries: get 4 more batteries, they are dirt cheap!

5. Park/outdoor: I used the 55-200mm mainly for closeups or different angled shots. Go behind the scene, the flower girls, across the hall in church shots, etc. Fillin flash shuld help here, but check with the priest first. The 55-200mm is brilliant for catching facial expressions, etc.

6. Dance-floor: Use 35mm. My experience is you must use MF and zone focus here. AF will not work with low light and moving subjects. I was surprised how well MF can be made to work. Use the Yougnuo or the built-in fill flash, set ISO on 1600 or 3200 and fire away, constantly reviewing and checking focus and adjusting as required. A 27mm may be better here but I havn't tried that, so dunno.

7. Speeches: I used 55-200mm to get close-ups. Yougnuo is needed if shot from across the room.

Overall I think I shot the majority of shots with 55-200. I got good shots even in almost darkness! That lens is unbelievable ( have I said that already?).

The 55-200mm is good at this kind of shot.

or this

Fill flash definitely needed.

ThachLy's gear list:ThachLy's gear list
Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T1 +7 more
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

lovenyc wrote:

Hi, Anyone using the X-E1 and X-E2 for wedding photography? What's your experience using these cameras? Thanks, Kal

Will you be the sole photographer or will you be the assistant call it the 2 nd photographer?

BillyInya
BillyInya Senior Member • Posts: 1,453

Those days are long gone for me, but I do occasionally back-up on the odd wedding now and then.

I enjoy this better as the pressure is completely off and I am given free reign to do as I please.

Also, using the X-E1 I am able to capture much more natural activity as nobody thinks I'm all that serious compared to the main photog who is labouring around with a monster Canon or Nikon with fat flash on board.

I shoot nothing but jpeg. As long as you don't want to cook the hell out of your images, jpegs are perfectly fine because you are not going to be able to print photos with more colours than a jpeg has anyway.

But if you were the main wedding photog I would suggest shooting RAW every time. You need that type of insurance if you blunder taking the photo.

The last one I did about 60% of the images selected for the album were mine and most of the orders came in for my images too. It is a nice compliment and speaks volumes for the capabilities of the little X-E1 and the exceptional quality of the jpegs.

At the end of the day the true measurement is determined by the client who chooses what images they and their family and friends want.

There's one caveat to this story. I always pack my S3 Pro and all my Nikon lenses and a couple of SB600's in case the main photog has a massive milti-cam failure. It's gear from yester year but still capable of nailing it.

Yep, the X-E1 is a very capable little camera when in capable hands, but then again mostly all cameras will yield perfectly acceptable results when used in capable hands.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more

Hi Thachly,

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to look into this. The 55-200, 27mm and 60mm macro were on my original list.

Hi Ryan2007,

I will be the sole photographer. Currently have 2 x Nikon D600 setup. The problem is that I have a spine problem which is not going to get any better so I have to work light.

Hi BillyInya,

Thanks for the feedback

Much appreciated. I may hold on to one of my D600s if needed as an alternative backup.

ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

lovenyc wrote:

Hi Ryan2007,

I will be the sole photographer. Currently have 2 x Nikon D600 setup. The problem is that I have a spine problem which is not going to get any better so I have to work light.

I want to say their is a difference between working light and working smart.

I have three suggestions

First:

Get a Nikon D7100 lighter camera and smaller sensor which is what Fuji is, same type of 1.5x crop, but you have DSLR performance and the same accessories from flash to the same camera bag.

Second if you truly need mirrorless:

The XT-1 would be better. With that in mind.

I would tell you to shoot the Panasonic GH-3 and not the Fuji X system because the TTL flash selection is greater with Micro Four Thirds. The GH-3 does stills and video very well. Micro Four Thirds has fast 2.8 zooms etc..

I have not double checked but their may be more options for external battery power.

Third:

Retire from wedding photography, if your medical condition is that bad standing on you feet for hours on end, carrying gear, tripods, bags, walking any stair cases and having to move quickly may exasperate your condition where doing anything else may suffer permanently.  In short, know when to walk away, not get rolled away.

IvanMyring Junior Member • Posts: 38

Hi, Anyone using the X-E1 and X-E2 for wedding photography? What's your experience using these  cameras? Thanks, Kal

I don't shoot weddings, but know someone who does, and uses an X-T1 and X-Pro 1, and is happy with the results, having sold his 5Diii to buy the X-T1 and lenses

Thanks IvanMyring.

So not all is gloom and doom.

Jay Bryant New Member • Posts: 1

I've been using both the X-e1 and X-E2 with weddings this last year with the 18-55 and the Zeiss 32mm. I keep the Fuji as my third camera and shoot everything in B&W. Mainly use it for portrait work. All of the B&W's on this page were shot with a Fuji: http://www.jaybryant.com/2013portfolio/  I still use my Nikon D700 as my main wedding camera.

Jay Bryant's gear list:Jay Bryant's gear list
Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R APD

Hi Jay, Thanks for sharing. How do you find focusing in low light? Kal

lukeleenz
lukeleenz New Member • Posts: 7

I have X-Pro1 and X-T1 and bunch of lenses.

I've used them as my main gears for last couple of weddings. I had to give up my DSLR gears as my right wrist was diagnosed tendinitis, I couldn't carry heavy gears. At the end of the wedding, I couldn't lift anything with my right hand and was hurting crazy. I sold all my DSLR gears and piled up 2 cameras and about 7 lenses, and 3 (manual) flashes...!

Still got some more saved up for x100s. I'm thinking one as a back up.

They have their short comings but they have huge advantages too.

• I found their lenses handle weddings very well.
  • I was able to carry both cameras and 4 lenses and a flash on me and not get tired at the end of the day.
  • Image quality was great and my clients were happy.
  • I used manual flash, lumopro LP180 and was amazing.
  • People are less threatened and were more friendly to the camera when I approached.

And to pick some of the cons;

• X-Pro1 struggles a lot in focusing, compared to X-T1 or any other DSLRs in the market. Continuous AF is basically unusable in wedding.
  • Slow writing from buffer to memory cards, I'm using 30mb/s, 45mb/s cards but they are not fast enough. Next time, I'll be buying UHS-II ones for X-T1. X-Pro1... I gave up.
  • I have EF-42, their TTL flash but it sucks. Camera is not active until the flash is charged. Used Lumopro LP180. It's manual but works perfectly.

Overall, I was very happy with the results.

lukeleenz's gear list:lukeleenz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads