A7r with Canon 24-105L examples

Started Apr 18, 2014 | Discussions
Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,367
A7r with Canon 24-105L examples

Lovely combination. Image Stabilizer on 24-105L sure helps with the 36MP sensor in a tiny camera.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 +24 more
Sony Alpha a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
addieleman
addieleman Regular Member • Posts: 407
Re: A7r with Canon 24-105L examples

Wow, #7 is really unsharp in the upper left corner, even at this fairly low resolution.

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Ad.

addieleman's gear list:addieleman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +12 more
Absolutic
OP Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,367

addieleman wrote:

Wow, #7 is really unsharp in the upper left corner, even at this fairly low resolution.

?   The focus was on the building in the middle of the frame.

Sony RX100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 +24 more
johnznyc Regular Member • Posts: 127

Absolutic wrote:

addieleman wrote:

? The focus was on the building in the middle of the frame.

What was the aperture setting and what was your intent? I think what addieleman was implying is that typically a single out of focus corner can be detracting which can happen with a subject of diagonally varying depth.

Thus, by stopping down, all of the image would be in focus, and by opening up, all of the corners would be out of focus.

johnznyc Regular Member • Posts: 127

All of the others are quite nice.  How was the focus speed using a third-party lens and adaptor?

osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970

Absolutic wrote:

addieleman wrote:

look to the middle left, that bush beside the white deck frame area, it's soft as well... it's on about the same focal plane as the middle of the frame.

the way to test this is to recreate the shot, using the same focal length, then without changing anything, flip the camera over 180 degrees, frame the picture the same way, then shoot it again.

Absolutic

johnznyc wrote:

All of the others are quite nice. How was the focus speed using a third-party lens and adaptor?

Thanks.   Well the focus speed was slow with my King adapter, so I changed to manual focus in the middle of the shoot.

Absolutic

osv wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

addieleman wrote:

look to the middle left, that bush beside the white deck frame area, it's soft as well... it's on about the same focal plane as the middle of the frame.

the way to test this is to recreate the shot, using the same focal length, then without changing anything, flip the camera over 180 degrees, frame the picture the same way, then shoot it again.

Thanks Dan,  I wonder if the problem is with the adapter, I read from Fred Miranda on his site that some adapters are uneven and with a 36MP sensor, if the plane is not perfectly allinged due to a adapter, you get areas of softness.

osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970

if the adapter was off, we'd be seeing that same corner softness at other focal lengths as well... both on the same zoom, and on other lenses that were put on the adapter.

the 24mm focal length pic looked pretty even across the frame?

like henry blue skies says, you can rotate the camera 180 degrees, which tells you if it's a focus issue... what i did the other day was to rotate the lens itself, leaving the adapter locked to the camera body.

if the bad area changes as the lens is rotated, it's probably a lens issue... i had the lens rotated so far that it was almost ready to fall off of the adapter, and sure enough, the bad area rotated with the lens.

there are electrical connections on some adapters, so it might be best to get a cheapo non-electrical eos adapter to experiment with.

-- hide signature --

dan

Absolutic

osv wrote:

if the bad area changes as the lens is rotated, it's probably a lens issue... i had the lens rotated so far that it was almost ready to fall off of the adapter, and sure enough, the bad area rotated with the lens.

It is a month old lens from Canon 6D kit ....  I will check how it behaves on Canon as well, because this concerns me.

ottonis Contributing Member • Posts: 763

looks like a very capable lens. I am quite impressed! Would you mind posting a picture of the A7r with the 24-105 attached? Does AF work on the A7r?

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +5 more
Absolutic

ottonis wrote:

looks like a very capable lens. I am quite impressed! Would you mind posting a picture of the A7r with the 24-105 attached? Does AF work on the A7r?

24-105L does look quite big together with A7r (I will take a pic of it the next time I assemble this combo)...and the weight and the size of that lens overwhelm the A7r. Lets just say if I go on vacation, I would not wish to carry this combo for a day of shooting, as my hand would be killing me, although the focal length of 24 to 105 is of course, very convenient and useful for vacation type photography. But I might as well put my Canon 6D on 24-105 as it balances better. I don't see an obvious advantage of A7r and this lens in terms of overall portability. There is arguable advantage in terms of picture quality improvement on a 36MP filterless sensor, which may or may not be critical for a vacation type photography. The AF works but is slow and annoying. I switched to MF in the middle of the shoot. the image stabilization sure is nice to have.

my next goal is to take A7r with 50 1.8II and 85 1.8 EF lenses out to do some shooting. The size and weight there is more manageable for handholding.

Few more from 24-105L

Smokymtnhiker Regular Member • Posts: 180

Nice shots.  Thanks for posting.

Smokymtnhiker's gear list:Smokymtnhiker's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Sony Alpha a7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads