Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)

Started Apr 18, 2014 | Discussions
OP Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 37,355
LCD- the LCD is quite visible in bright sunlight- like Sony's White magic

for the most part. Maybe it is exactly that.  The Ricoh GR is the same.  So this is good news.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Would have been interesting to see on the F1.8 prime...

because seems like the zoom  are not as sharp as that prime.  The new super zoom seems pretty sharp if the MTF curves are anything to go by.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

JL Salvignol
JL Salvignol Senior Member • Posts: 1,642
Re: LCD- the LCD is quite visible in bright sunlight- like Sony's White magic

Ricardo Bravo for all your work

I understand that you're not an EVF stickler in general (GR, Q7), but hey:
1 / How do you feel vith its features / limitations in current use with high light and in low light with moving subjects?
2 / Is your perception of vulnerability confirmed?

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-01 +16 more
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973
Re: On image quality in general

Jared Huntr wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

Jared Huntr wrote:

As for image quality, the disappointment with the V2's larger megapixel count was that if you up-sampled a 10Mp V1 image to the same size, there was no difference in the amount of actual details captured.So the V2 was basically an exercise in storing larger files on your hard drive with no benefit in improved IQ.

That's not what I found. It wasn't a profound difference, but the V2 did produce more detail. Not with the kit lens, but with the better lenses, good shooting technique, and avoiding smaller apertures that lost detail due to diffraction, it wasn't hard to get more detail from the V2.

It would be interesting to see your comparisons assuming they were done under reasonably controlled conditions. I was not impressed with the examples shown here when the V2 was first released.

I'd have to re-shoot comparison photos, but the ones you posted (v1 upsized vs v2), comparing the first set actually showed a bit more detail in the V1 photo. That may be due to exposure or lighting differences. The way this thread is growing, it'll probably reach its limit long before I'll be able to shoot any more comparisons.

The V1 and V2 photos were shot on different days if the EXR dates are accurate but they probably aren't since the V1's time shows 00:24:37 which is shortly after midnight and the V2's time is 10:57:17. Even so, I don't see how these photos could possibly be used to evaluate resolution. The first one is a 2mp combined photo so it contains two 1mp images. To easily see resolution differences (if they exist) it would be much better to post two 100% crops. I'm not even sure that upsizing the V1 image to normalize the screen sizes would be ideal because that could produce false detail artifacts that might make it seem that the V1 image shows more detail than it actually contains.

LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
Re: Thanks for the shots, but

need some shots of feathers, fur, and hair to really discern IQ...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,151
Re: Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)

Raist3d wrote:

samfan wrote:

MattZisk wrote:

It's a mistake to turn off the camera when it's writing files, so the fact that it enable you to do so is a plus.

There's this 3rd alternative that is widely in use you know: if the buffer in writing and the user turns the camera off, the camera DOESN'T TURN OFF! It waits until the buffer is empty and then it can turn off.

That's exactly what the V3 does. What I would have preferred is that the camera does save one more file and then turn off. I want responsiveness.

nunatak wrote:

it could to be mostly you. as the D800 flushes it's buffer, that camera becomes inoperable too. it's a small inconvenience in exchange for not corrupting any of your photos, or significantly adding to the cost of the camera. seriously.

WHAT???? F**k the modern cameras then.

Samsung cameras used to have this problem (hopefully they learned it in the meantime) and I was thinking very, very hard whether to buy EX1 despite of this. A high-end DSLR and an expensive MILC failing at this... I would not believe that.

I think my comment was misread. It's when you turn the camera off *and* it still has files to write. It behaves as you mentioned above. The problem is if you have say 20 images buffered that's a long write and nothing you can do (short of taking out the battery) to make the camera responsive again until it's done with that.

So yes, you can have 20 images to save and continue shooting- it's when you turn the camera off *and* you still have those 20 images to write that this blocking happens.

Toshiba announced UHSII microsd cards today. See other thread. If the V3 can use them the buffer should clear much quicker.

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,151
Re: Nikon 1 V3 impressions ...single focus point size?

Raist3d wrote:

yomasa wrote:

Is it going to be any good for birding?

Birding is ideal for this camera. It's one of its strengths. I don't do birding though.

One of the key needs for birding is having a small single focus point to thread through branches or to get the eye focussed. The V1 focus point was quite large. Can you assess how small the focus point is on the V3 please?

From tonight on the streets

-- hide signature --

Re: LCD- the LCD is quite visible in bright sunlight- like Sony's White magic

JL Salvignol wrote:

Ricardo Bravo for all your work

I understand that you're not an EVF stickler in general (GR, Q7), but hey:
1 / How do you feel vith its features / limitations in current use with high light and in low light with moving subjects?

I would have to have some time to try that and I don't want to use the EVF if I could return the camera.

2 / Is your perception of vulnerability confirmed?

The vulnerability is mainly how I felt when attaching/detaching.  But it's all relative- it's not paper-fragile.  But certainly more fragile than the V1/V2 on the EVF by consequence.

-- hide signature --

JLS

-- hide signature --

aandeg Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: A few more snaps

Well they certainly do not look bad.  ISO 400 JPG is pretty much noise free and sharp.  Can't get anything at all out of my V2 that looks good at ISO 2000.

The new hand grip has a shutter button so I think someone can make a wired remote.  That is really what is needed in the 1 series.

Thanks Ricardo for all your hard work on this.  Going to wait for a few more to get it but I think overall it looks very good.

aandeg's gear list:aandeg's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D5200
aandeg Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: Some snaps from yesterday and just now

Ricardo, Was the ISO 6400 shot using the new 4 frame noise control?

aandeg's gear list:aandeg's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D5200
Re: Some snaps from yesterday and just now

aandeg wrote:

Ricardo, Was the ISO 6400 shot using the new 4 frame noise control?

No, that was from raw.  I did try the 4 frame noise control with ISO 12800 (will post that shot later tomorrow, have to go to bed now) and it did help, making the engine in BW (jpeg engine) usable.

What I really don't like is that Nikon does not have a built in raw converter so you can't experiment converting to JPEG with different settings- the settings are fine but then you get only "one shot at it."

The 4 shot NR (for 6400 and 12800) do not work for RAW unfrotunately.

-- hide signature --

Re: A few more snaps

aandeg wrote:

Well they certainly do not look bad. ISO 400 JPG is pretty much noise free and sharp. Can't get anything at all out of my V2 that looks good at ISO 2000.

The new hand grip has a shutter button so I think someone can make a wired remote. That is really what is needed in the 1 series.

Thanks Ricardo for all your hard work on this. Going to wait for a few more to get it but I think overall it looks very good.

You are welcome- though keep in mind these shots are re-sized down so the IQ increases. Your V2 would do the same.

-- hide signature --

1RichieB
1RichieB Regular Member • Posts: 264
Re: From tonight on the streets

It seems as if you are wanting to judge this camera based on its ability to shoot dark street photography, or low light photography. If so, I think you are going to be disappointed for the most part. Looking at the NikonUSA presentation / announcement of this camera, it seems like it is designed specifically for the sports enthusiast shooting in very good light.

Now that they are rolling out, I would really like to see someone post some action photos taken of daytime and nighttime baseball games. It will be interesting to see how well it performs doing what it has been designed for, daytime sports, and how well it performs shooting sports under stadium lighting and in gyms.

1RichieB's gear list:1RichieB's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +8 more
JL Salvignol
JL Salvignol Senior Member • Posts: 1,642

Richie,

Implicitly, the competition here is between V3 and GR. Under the conditions of use as defined by Ricardo, it is very likely that the GR will not be defeated.

But I think that the idea of pushing the V3 out of its domain is potentially very fruitful. It's a sort of crash test that will teach us a lot about the V3 and its optimal operating conditions.

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-01 +16 more
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,110

Brandon birder wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

samfan wrote:

MattZisk wrote:

It's a mistake to turn off the camera when it's writing files, so the fact that it enable you to do so is a plus.

There's this 3rd alternative that is widely in use you know: if the buffer in writing and the user turns the camera off, the camera DOESN'T TURN OFF! It waits until the buffer is empty and then it can turn off.

That's exactly what the V3 does. What I would have preferred is that the camera does save one more file and then turn off. I want responsiveness.

nunatak wrote:

it could to be mostly you. as the D800 flushes it's buffer, that camera becomes inoperable too. it's a small inconvenience in exchange for not corrupting any of your photos, or significantly adding to the cost of the camera. seriously.

WHAT???? F**k the modern cameras then.

Samsung cameras used to have this problem (hopefully they learned it in the meantime) and I was thinking very, very hard whether to buy EX1 despite of this. A high-end DSLR and an expensive MILC failing at this... I would not believe that.

I think my comment was misread. It's when you turn the camera off *and* it still has files to write. It behaves as you mentioned above. The problem is if you have say 20 images buffered that's a long write and nothing you can do (short of taking out the battery) to make the camera responsive again until it's done with that.

So yes, you can have 20 images to save and continue shooting- it's when you turn the camera off *and* you still have those 20 images to write that this blocking happens.

Toshiba announced UHSII microsd cards today. See other thread. If the V3 can use them the buffer should clear much quicker.

According to the V3 manual it can only support UHS-I cards.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Microshooter
Microshooter Senior Member • Posts: 2,120
V3 seems to be missing the "WOW' factor.

BACKGROUND: I remember when I went from the D90 to the D800 and was reading the forums. ALL...and that's not an exaggeration....responses were raving with the qualities of the camera and the detail, DR, etc., in the images. Yes, there were problems with left focus and many of us had to 'up' our techniques to assure we could capture detail. But the there was a WOW factor from everyone who had used almost ANY previousl Nikon camera.

CURRENT: Ricardo, this hands-on review has been terrific and a lot of work (service to the forum). You are really to be commended for your time and responses. But I do not here a "WOW.....this is a terrific upgrade", and that "this V3 is what I was looking for". In fact, you are possibly considering returning it. I personally appreciate the candor!!!

I know that you are comparing the V3 as much for its ability to meet YOUR needs as you are to evaluate the capabilities...not a criticism at all....your are evaluating for your needs and still checking all things out for others. Again thanks!!

My Conclusion: I am happy with my V1 and just wish that it had better low light capability without the noise and I wish it had the 18MP to allow me to crop a little (seems no matter how close I get I always want to get closer). So I was hoping for a WOW Factor like the D800 gave us. Seems like its not there (yet) and I will stay with my V1 or perhaps upgrade to the V2 (14MP) when the prices come down a little more.

This is only my point of view and if the 'pro reviewers' come back with raving reviews it won't really matter to me... because if common users (like 90% of us) are not 'wow'ed' by the V3, I probably won't be either and it isn't worth a few (maybe several) functional advantages when the IQ improvement is not significant. (I definitely do not like having to remove the grip from the camera to replace the battery...especially if it is on my tripod!)

If I did not have a V1/2 I would be jumping at the V3... probably. But as it stands now, I am patiently awaiting my CX 70-300VR to put on my V1. And then maybe on my V4/5/6. I definitely think the V series is a great little camera to compliment my D800 and I will be sticking with both.

I'm curious what others (who have the V1/2) feel about these early findings. Ricardo has done a great job doing comparisons for us!!!

Microshooter's gear list:Microshooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 +16 more
1RichieB
1RichieB Regular Member • Posts: 264

JL Salvignol wrote:

Richie,

Implicitly, the competition here is between V3 and GR. Under the conditions of use as defined by Ricardo, it is very likely that the GR will not be defeated.

But I think that the idea of pushing the V3 out of its domain is potentially very fruitful. It's a sort of crash test that will teach us a lot about the V3 and its optimal operating conditions.

I agree. I am simply interested in seeing how well the V3 performs when used for action photography in well-lit conditions as it was obviously intended. If it is as good as advertised, and also turns out to perform action photography well in low-light conditions, such as stadiums and gyms, I will purchase one.

1RichieB's gear list:1RichieB's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +8 more
DesertCat Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Re: V3 seems to be missing the "WOW' factor.

As far as the wow factor on imaging.  I think you are right.  Just as many V1 owners didn't feel the V2 gave a compelling imaging upgrade, now the V3 doesn't appear to be a compelling imaging upgrade over the V2.  Many V1 owners won't even feel the need to upgrade to the V3, especially for the price differential, unless they want more pixels to work with.

Despite many finely crafted fictions in the mind of some, Nikon's approach this round indicates that, in the U.S. at least, they have been making money on the V series and losing money on the J series. Thus, they have cut the J series from the market and have focused on selling the V series at high margins.  A strategy of low volume but high price tags seems to be their path to profitability on Nikon 1 in the U.S.  One of their recent financial statements had some comments about higher-margin products being their path forward (though not specific to N1).  For enthusiasts, however, this seems bonkers.  When we look at the V3 and its high price tag, its questionable features become more glaring.  No major upgrade in IQ, the decision to making it modular and then forcing the EVF and grip on U.S. consumers anyway, and a host of other quibbles make it a non-wow product for many.

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973

SHood wrote:

According to the V3 manual it can only support UHS-I cards.

I hope that's because there weren't any UHS-II cards available for testing when the manual was written. The fastest UHS-1 microSDHC cards I've found so far have about 1/2 the write speed of the fastest UHS-1 SDHC cards. There are Lexar SDHC and SDXC cards advertising 95MB/s read speeds but nothing that specifies a write speed, only this : "features a maximum read speed of 95MB/s along with a minimum transfer rate of 10MB/s." Otherwise, Sandisk have 50MB/s and Delkin Devices have 40MB/s UHS-1 microSDHC/SDXC cards, vs. Sandisk's familiar 95MB/s(r), 90MB/s(w) SDHC cards. These two were found on B&H's website.

Delkin Devices 56MB/s(w), 40MB/s(r)

Sandisk 80MB/s(w), 50MB/s(r)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads