Card Error on OMD EM1

Started Apr 18, 2014 | Discussions
SteveS58 Senior Member • Posts: 2,826
Card Error on OMD EM1

I'm using a San Disk Ultra 32GB Memory card. When I review the photos taken, I keep getting "Card Error". I have tp turn the camera off and on, and that seems to reset the error message. But continuing to review photos , the error message continues to recur. Anyone else have this problem with EM1? Do i have a bad card? Any suggestions how to fix this? I never had the this problem when I used the card with my Sony Nex 6. Thanks for your help.

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 14,139
Re: Card Error on OMD EM1

Hi Steve,

Have you formatted the card in the E-M1 yet? If not, try that; if so, try formatting in a PC then reformatting it in the camera. If that doesn't work, try another card to determine whether this one is corrupt.

Good luck!

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

TheSquid Regular Member • Posts: 308

as said above, have you formatted the card IN the EM1?

This is a reason why to only format the card in camera.  Never erase photos off the card individually/groups.  Only use the format function in the camera to remove old photos off the card.

I have yet to have a card issue following these simple rules.

OP SteveS58 Senior Member • Posts: 2,826

Thank you both for your advice. Is formatting a card the same procedure as erasing all photos from the card as I've been doing? If not, what is the procedure to format the card in the camera?

kittykat23uk Senior Member • Posts: 1,121

I had a card error come up on a card using my new E-5. I was able to connect the camera to the PC, copied all the images off the card, one image was corrupted. Then went to the menu in the camera and did format, using that. Hopefully the problem wont reoccur.

-- hide signature --
 kittykat23uk's gear list:kittykat23uk's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,694

SteveS58 wrote:

I'm using a San Disk Ultra 32GB Memory card. When I review the photos taken, I keep getting "Card Error". I have tp turn the camera off and on, and that seems to reset the error message. But continuing to review photos , the error message continues to recur. Anyone else have this problem with EM1? Do i have a bad card? Any suggestions how to fix this? I never had the this problem when I used the card with my Sony Nex 6. Thanks for your help.

How confident are you that your card is not counterfeit?  I had a problem with a pair of SanDisk Ultra16 microSD cards.  They would work for a few dozen shots in the E-M1 and then up popped the 'Card Error' message.  If I power cycled the camera the card would work again for a few minutes.  I had previously used one of these in my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and had some rather odd behaviors.  I switched to a couple of 32GB SanDisk Ultras I bought at Best Buy and have not had a single issue in several thousand shots.  Same on the Note with a new 64GB card.  I bought both from a single source (I cannot remember where).  I am generally good about only buying from major retailers or occasionally Amazon deals that state 'sold by SanDisk fulfilled by Amazon.  I am assuming I got fake or recycled 2nd run cards.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
TheSquid Regular Member • Posts: 308

top of the menu when you click menu > card setup>format

SteveS58 wrote:

Thank you both for your advice. Is formatting a card the same procedure as erasing all photos from the card as I've been doing? If not, what is the procedure to format the card in the camera?

The very first menu item is card setup, which gives two choices: all erase and format. Select format and see if it fixes the problem.

Cheers

Rick

-- hide signature --

—Mark Twain

Thanks guys. I bought the card from Adorama as I remember. I used it with my Sony Nex 6 with never a problem for almost a year. Will try your formatting suggestions tonight.

gregbartgis
gregbartgis Regular Member • Posts: 262

MMmmm! I had a similar problem with my  E-M5's with two cards. I tried them in other cameras and got the same error. I thought it was cards and actually posted about it in MFT Talk forum. I since tried them both and they're working fine now. I wonder now......

-- hide signature --

The elimination of the mirror has introduced a new concept into the interchangeable lens digital camera market - compactness (kind of like what happened when Oscar Barnack created the Leica).

gregbartgis's gear list:gregbartgis's gear list
Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +44 more

Thanks for the instructions on how to reformat the card.  I've simply been erasing my images after downloading them.  The card reformatted in the camera without a problem.  So now I'll test it this weekend.  Thanks again to all for your help.

kittykat23uk Senior Member • Posts: 1,121

A thing that I think can cause card errors is if you try and play an image whilst it's still clearing the buffer. I.e. when the card access button is still flashing.

-- hide signature --
 kittykat23uk's gear list:kittykat23uk's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH

SteveS58 wrote:

Thanks for the instructions on how to reformat the card. I've simply been erasing my images after downloading them. The card reformatted in the camera without a problem. So now I'll test it this weekend. Thanks again to all for your help.

That should do the trick. IIUC when we erase, we're only marking files as eligible to be written over, not actually deleted. Formatting is supposed to erase everything and basically, "tidy up."

Mike Johnson of TOP quizzed a guy from one of the memory card companies, who told him to format cards between each use. Once upon a time there was a limit to how many times a card could be formatted. It's either no longer the case or the number is so huge as to be impossible to reach.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

—Mark Twain

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads