6D Multicontroller failure?

Started Apr 15, 2014 | Questions
DugT
DugT Senior Member • Posts: 1,154
6D Multicontroller failure?

My 6D's multicontroller does not work sometimes. When I am viewing an image and it has been magnified on the LCD, when I try to scroll to view the left side of the image the multicontroller does not respond. It responds to up and down input and to the right but not left. This first happened about a month ago but started working properly again the next day. It failed again two days ago  but is working today. Has anyone else had this problem? I tried tapping around the multicontroller when it wasn't working but that had no affect.

This camera is about 13 months old.

Thanks,
Doug

-- hide signature --

Some of my pics are in my DPReview Gallery
dt

DugT's gear list:DugT's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,797
Re: 6D Multicontroller failure?

The magnify can be a bit temperamental, not sure i have had the same problem, sometimes applying a slight pressure seem to work.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +10 more
Paul Vreeland New Member • Posts: 6

This is interesting. I wonder if it's a batch manufacturing problem. My multi-controller failed a couple of days ago. Same thing. I'm able to move the cursor to the right, and up and down, but not left.

DugT
OP DugT Senior Member • Posts: 1,154

Paul Vreeland wrote:

This is interesting. I wonder if it's a batch manufacturing problem. My multi-controller failed a couple of days ago. Same thing. I'm able to move the cursor to the right, and up and down, but not left.

You and I are the only ones that I know of that have had the problem so it isn't and epidemic. Canon in California charged me $234 to fix it but they replaced both LCD's too. I suspect the cost of the multi-controller switch was well under their minimum charge so they threw in the LCD's to make the $234 seem less rude.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
AmbleYonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,839

usedtobedontrustme wrote:

My 6D's multicontroller does not work sometimes. When I am viewing an image and it has been magnified on the LCD, when I try to scroll to view the left side of the image the multicontroller does not respond. It responds to up and down input and to the right but not left.

i had exactly the same problem with the 7D when using liveview in a sleet storm , the camera sulked after ice water hit the screen when in operation and i lost functionality just as you describe above , the first time i removed the battery and switched the camera on and off did the trick . though on another occasion it took a full hour to recover ,

just thought i would add the observation in case you are using the camera in a cold environment that might mess with the LCD .i know the weather proofing of the 6D is not on par with the 7D which only let me down on those 2 occasions under extreme conditions

anhquansei Junior Member • Posts: 35

Paul Vreeland wrote:

You and I are the only ones that I know of that have had the problem so it isn't and epidemic. Canon in California charged me $234 to fix it but they replaced both LCD's too. I suspect the cost of the multi-controller switch was well under their minimum charge so they threw in the LCD's to make the $234 seem less rude.

Well in my country i would have sold the 6D for 1200$ then add 300$ for a brandnew.

anhquansei's gear list:anhquansei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Photo Van Junior Member • Posts: 33

Mine was purchased 12/24/13. I have had the same issue. It has been sporatic and has not happened for awhile. That piece feels cheap and seems to not be very well constructed. Seems generally okay though and since it usually works fine, I'll live with it.

Photo Van's gear list:Photo Van's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +9 more

I also own 7D for 5+ years and have never had any hiccups with any of the controls / buttons. The 6D does not feel as quality as the 7D but feels generally solid in my hands and I am really enjoying the image quality and simplicity of it. Great camera in general.

Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +9 more
DugT

Today I used the multicontroller a lot because I used Live View a lot and I think the multicontroller is my least favorite feature of the 6D. It gives very little feedback and feels cheap to the point I'm afraid I'm going to break it. The joystick on the 7D is so much better.

I believe the problem is moisture effecting the control. I placed my camera body in a bag with rice (isolating the camera from the rice with a piece of thin cardboard. I left the camera in the bag for two days, and when I put the battery back in, my controller was functioning again. When you put the camera in the bag with the rice, leave the battery, card slot compartments open. The rice does a great job of drawing out the moisture.

AmbleYonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,839
Re: 6D failure?

you could well be right , i remember looking at the diagram that shows the weather proof sealing and was concerned about the lack of it around the multi controller so it is a weak spot for moisture .

Paul Vreeland wrote:

I believe the problem is moisture effecting the control. I placed my camera body in a bag with rice (isolating the camera from the rice with a piece of thin cardboard. I left the camera in the bag for two days, and when I put the battery back in, my controller was functioning again. When you put the camera in the bag with the rice, leave the battery, card slot compartments open. The rice does a great job of drawing out the moisture.

Good tip. Thanks Paul.

The multi-controller failed too often for me to rely on rice and other dessicants. My menus were also unnavigatable. The fourth time I went out on a shoot and found my camera unreliable, I decided to send it back to Canon Canada for repair. About a month later they telephoned me to say that they couldn't find anything wrong with the camera. "We can't replicate the problem," they said. I received the camera back a few days later. I put in a battery and sure enough, my problems were still there. How as this possible? My camera was a little over a year old and I didn't like the idea that I'd be out $1700. I certainly couldn't sell the camera in this condition. It occurred to me that the camera was acting like a computer with a big-time serious virus. Then it occurred to me that perhaps the firmware had been corrupted. I downloaded a copy of the updated firmware, but it on an SD card and was able to install it on the camera. 80% of the problems were solved. I could navigate the menus, but some of the camera setting were not functioning as they should. The other 205 of the problems were solved by "Clearing all settings." Essentially doing a factory reset. I've used the camera for two days now. No problems. I've got my fingers crossed.

Now, why did this work? I suspect it had something to do with the SD cards I had been using with the camera. Had the folks at Canon Canada been using the newer firmware. I don't understand the SD card-firmware relationship enough to know. Perhaps someone who knows better can explain this.

Graf Spee New Member • Posts: 20

Doug, I've had a similar problem with my 6D:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3667729
By that time, I've managed have it sent to Canon and have it repaired.
It's probably related to moisture, what makes me think about the weather sealing of this camera. We all know is not as good as a 5D or a 7D on this specific aspect, but to which point? No electronics likes moisture, but I understand that if we don't take it out in the rain or have it anyhow splashed and avoid subit changes on temperature, we should be, more or less, safe. However, even thoug we are carefull on that, the camera seems to be exposed to it.
I suggest you follow the demoisturizing idea, but I'm afraid you 'll have to take it o a Canon repair center.
Good luck!

Graf Spee's gear list:Graf Spee's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
shleed Contributing Member • Posts: 623

Could be dirty contacts - spray some isopropyl alcohol into it and keep pressing the buttons. May fix the issue.

shleed's gear list:shleed's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +1 more
indusbreed Contributing Member • Posts: 912

Photo Van wrote:

I also own 7D for 5+ years and have never had any hiccups with any of the controls / buttons. The 6D does not feel as quality as the 7D but feels generally solid in my hands and I am really enjoying the image quality and simplicity of it. Great camera in general.

The original 7D was built like a tank, V2 is also a very solid proposition. Don't expect the same level of robustness from 6D.

indusbreed's gear list:indusbreed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
DugT
Re: OP's solution

Further up this thread I posted that I sent the camera to Canon in Irvine, CA, and they replaced the multicontroller for $234 and replaced the LCD's too.

If this ever happens again I will try putting it in a plastic bag with rice and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't I will try spraying with isopropyl alcohol. If that doesn't work, I will spray it with WD40 (Water Displacement 40). If that doesn't work, I will try taking it apart myself since it is out of warranty and I have nothing to lose.

I had used my 6D in light drizzle and I'm pretty sure that caused the problem. However, I wonder why the problem was intermittent for the following year.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28286266@N02/sets/72157651767602507/
I never killed nobody and I didn't rob that train.
dt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads