Getting photos ready for a small exhibit...need frame help

Started Apr 12, 2014 | Discussions
PK62
PK62 Senior Member • Posts: 1,005
Getting photos ready for a small exhibit...need frame help

I'm trying to mat and frame a few photos for a small exhibition. I've never done anything like this before so I'm lost. I know from what I've seen that I need black frames with an off white matting. Thing is, I can't find any frames. I figure I should at least do an 8x10 photo with a 11x14 frame if I want to stay with stock mats and frames and I do, because I don't want to get into a huge expense. Can anyone help me and tell me of a good place to buy this kind of frame? I asked at a local Michaels and he didn't even know what an exhibition frame was and from what I read that is what I need.

-- hide signature --

Patti

PK62's gear list:PK62's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,212
Re: Getting photos ready for a small exhibit...need frame help

Might help if you say in what part of the world you live

dave
dave Senior Member • Posts: 1,415

If you look at her profile you'd see she is in the US.

I use these frames in satin black in sizesvfrom A4 to A1 They use unbreakable plexiglass and are very light so easy to hang.

Your local framers should be able to cut mats or do a search on EBay.

Dave

http://www.nielsenbainbridge.com/eng/products/picture-frames/aluminium-frames/aluminium-frames/classic/classic.html

PK62
OP PK62 Senior Member • Posts: 1,005

dave wrote:

If you look at her profile you'd see she is in the US.

I use these frames in satin black in sizesvfrom A4 to A1 They use unbreakable plexiglass and are very light so easy to hang.

Your local framers should be able to cut mats or do a search on EBay.

Dave

http://www.nielsenbainbridge.com/eng/products/picture-frames/aluminium-frames/aluminium-frames/classic/classic.html

Thanks, sorry I didn't say where I lived ( NY state),  but figured it would have to be online anyway, since I live in a very rural area.  I do have a store about 50 miles away that sells mats.  I'll check these frames, thanks again.

Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,216

IKEA sold fairly cheap exhibition-style frames - the RIBBA series; but that may not be any use to you...

J.

-- hide signature --

"Well, it's too late to die young now..."

PK62

Joe Pineapples wrote:

IKEA sold fairly cheap exhibition-style frames - the RIBBA series; but that may not be any use to you...

J.

thanks, I'll check it out right now

Richard Weisgrau Veteran Member • Posts: 3,530

PK62,

An exhibit frame is not a specification. Rather it is a frame to exhibit an image in. The most popular types is the Aluminum frame, usually in silver or black. The idea is to frame all the photos in the same frame.

If the exhibit has a curator, then he or she can give a framing spec. If not, I think you are well off going with the options I offer below. They will be US sized and European, which is what Ikea frames are. Although Ikea frames are a bargain by most standards. You will just have to be carful because the mat openings are off fro US sizes.

Here are links to precut Al frames and mat boards. Same supplier website - just different pages.

I used this source some years back when I had to frame and 18 print show. There were no problems.

Mat Board          Frames

Check to see if the corner joiners and spring clips come with the frame. If not buy them from the same place. They are inexpensive.

Buy the glass locally.

But the foam core or other backing board locally and cut it yourself.

-- hide signature --

Richard Weisgrau
www.drawnwithlight.com
www.show-my-house.com

PK62

Richard Weisgrau wrote:

PK62,

An exhibit frame is not a specification. Rather it is a frame to exhibit an image in. The most popular types is the Aluminum frame, usually in silver or black. The idea is to frame all the photos in the same frame.

If the exhibit has a curator, then he or she can give a framing spec. If not, I think you are well off going with the options I offer below. They will be US sized and European, which is what Ikea frames are. Although Ikea frames are a bargain by most standards. You will just have to be carful because the mat openings are off fro US sizes.

Here are links to precut Al frames and mat boards. Same supplier website - just different pages.

I used this source some years back when I had to frame and 18 print show. There were no problems.

Mat Board Frames

Check to see if the corner joiners and spring clips come with the frame. If not buy them from the same place. They are inexpensive.

Buy the glass locally.

But the foam core or other backing board locally and cut it yourself.

Thanks

davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 4,724

PK62 wrote:

I'm trying to mat and frame a few photos for a small exhibition. I've never done anything like this before so I'm lost. I know from what I've seen that I need black frames with an off white matting. Thing is, I can't find any frames. I figure I should at least do an 8x10 photo with a 11x14 frame if I want to stay with stock mats and frames and I do, because I don't want to get into a huge expense. Can anyone help me and tell me of a good place to buy this kind of frame? I asked at a local Michaels and he didn't even know what an exhibition frame was and from what I read that is what I need.

This won't help in the short term since I guess the exhibition is quite soon,  but if you are planning to be doing this sort of thing regularly then cutting your own matts is not that hard.   You then have complete freedom of colour and size, and can mount in any frame that takes your fancy.  In the UK "charity shops" often have nice frames (sometimes with horrible art work inside!) that can really lift your work.

It's a huge help to have the right kit,  so there is some upfront cost,  but if you get one of the Logan, for example, board systems and a couple of rolls of tape then you'll be away.

Dave

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
PK62

Dave Stott wrote:

PK62 wrote:

This won't help in the short term since I guess the exhibition is quite soon, but if you are planning to be doing this sort of thing regularly then cutting your own matts is not that hard. You then have complete freedom of colour and size, and can mount in any frame that takes your fancy. In the UK "charity shops" often have nice frames (sometimes with horrible art work inside!) that can really lift your work.

It's a huge help to have the right kit, so there is some upfront cost, but if you get one of the Logan, for example, board systems and a couple of rolls of tape then you'll be away.

Dave

I have the equipment for matting, but haven't done it in years.  I was never very good at it and found that just buying pre-cut mats worked better for me.  You're correct though, it does make more sense, but I'm lazy I think      

MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 5,805

Richard,
How do you adhere the photograph to the foam core, without resorting to a big huge heat press?
--
How to inspect a used EOS 7D before purchase:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4701677448/how-to-inspect-a-used-canon-eos-7d

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
davidedric2 Junior Member • Posts: 32

MarshallG wrote:

Richard,
How do you adhere the photograph to the foam core, without resorting to a big huge heat press?
--
How to inspect a used EOS 7D before purchase:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4701677448/how-to-inspect-a-used-canon-eos-7d

Richard,

There is certainly self-adhesive foam board available, though I have never used it.   It comes with a backing sheet.

Dave

Doug Gabler Contributing Member • Posts: 636

I get some from Michaels Crafts. You said you may get them on-line so hear is a link.

http://www.michaels.com/

-- hide signature --
PK62

Doug Gabler wrote:

I get some from Michaels Crafts. You said you may get them on-line so hear is a link.

http://www.michaels.com/

Thank you, this might be just what I'm looking for, except I don't think it lets me order online.  Am I missing something?

Chikubi
Chikubi Senior Member • Posts: 1,672

If you have one nearby, I'd try Hobby Lobby. They have a large selection of suitable frames at very reasonable prices, plus they can custom cut mats/glass on the spot. I've framed two solo shows using their offerings, plus a fair number of group exhibit enteries and I've always ended up with professional presentations. Here's an example:  http://www.emasterphoto.com/2013/05/09/opening-「光-hikari」solo-show-may-7-31-2013/

Bob657 Senior Member • Posts: 3,238

Another online source is MisterArt.com.  The sell the neilsenbainbridge with premade mats at good prices

-- hide signature --

Bob G

Bob657's gear list:Bob657's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +3 more
Larry Berman
Larry Berman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,839

Try frame destination. They can sell you frames and mats and give you assembly instructions.

http://framedestination.com

-- hide signature --
PK62

These sites are great too.  This is what I was looking for.  Thanks

-- hide signature --

Patti

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,212

PK62 wrote:

These sites are great too. This is what I was looking for. Thanks

Glad you've found what you were looking for and good luck with the exhibit .

Regards, DS

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 20,458

Dave Stott wrote:

PK62 wrote:

This won't help in the short term since I guess the exhibition is quite soon, but if you are planning to be doing this sort of thing regularly then cutting your own matts is not that hard. You then have complete freedom of colour and size, and can mount in any frame that takes your fancy. In the UK "charity shops" often have nice frames (sometimes with horrible art work inside!) that can really lift your work.

It's a huge help to have the right kit, so there is some upfront cost, but if you get one of the Logan, for example, board systems and a couple of rolls of tape then you'll be away.

Dave

I use the Logan system.  Inexpensive and saves money over the long run.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads