Trying to decide between DF and D610, IQ differences

Started Apr 10, 2014 | Discussions
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,478
Re: Trying to decide between DF and D610, IQ differences

Ray Sachs wrote:

j_photo wrote:

Or, if what matters most to you are graphs, charts, and dxo scores, go get the D750--it's a much better camera than the D610 in those regards.

Uhhhh, not so much...

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D750-versus-Nikon-D610___975_915

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Interesting. Closer than I would have thought. I confess I don't pay close attention to dxo mark.

I do think the D750 has more going for it than the D610. If the OP wants the conventional DSLR body and controls, I would recommend it over the other. And, again, just speaking for myself, I really don't see the hyper-technical differences in the sensors in these cameras as significant in comparison to other considerations for picking one over the other. No offense to others who spend more time looking at the technical stuff.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
khaledgawdat Regular Member • Posts: 358

if you do not print large size prints Df will be the camera that works in every scinario. 16 mp is more than enough for 99.9% of most photography needs. I have the D800 for the high megapixel pictures that I never need so I use it once a year compared to the d4s and Df that I have on every assignment.

-- hide signature --

K.Gawdat

khaledgawdat's gear list:khaledgawdat's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sigma dp3 Quattro +112 more
TOR8472 Senior Member • Posts: 1,616
Re: OP bought a Df 7 months ago

Feel free to continue to discuss, just note that the OP bought a Df 7 months ago

j_photo wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

j_photo wrote:

Or, if what matters most to you are graphs, charts, and dxo scores, go get the D750--it's a much better camera than the D610 in those regards.

Uhhhh, not so much...

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D750-versus-Nikon-D610___975_915

-Ray
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir

Interesting. Closer than I would have thought. I confess I don't pay close attention to dxo mark.

I do think the D750 has more going for it than the D610. If the OP wants the conventional DSLR body and controls, I would recommend it over the other. And, again, just speaking for myself, I really don't see the hyper-technical differences in the sensors in these cameras as significant in comparison to other considerations for picking one over the other. No offense to others who spend more time looking at the technical stuff.

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,478
Re: OP bought a Df 7 months ago

TOR8472 wrote:

Feel free to continue to discuss, just note that the OP bought a Df 7 months ago

That's funny. At least he took my advice!

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
JeanPierre Koenig Regular Member • Posts: 277

This is not the way to read the measures. The D610 has a significantly better dynamic range. Does it matter to you? I can't tell. But the difference is in the noticeable category.

JP

M35G35 Regular Member • Posts: 241
Re: Prints

Apollo18 wrote:

To my mind, the Df is way overpriced for what it is. In your shoes, I'd pick the D610 on price alone, unless the difference in physical size is of overwhelming importance (in which case I would anyway be thinking mirrorless).

I see it differently. The Df is less than half the cost of the D4/D4s. Cost alone is not a good reason (in my mind) to pick a camera.

M35G35's gear list:M35G35's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon Df Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +18 more
Vudoo New Member • Posts: 13
Df

camerosity wrote:

Vudoo wrote:

I wonder how much of the "Made in Japan" factors into the cost of the Df? At what price point does the Df would no longer be consider overpriced?

I just picked up a Df 50mm kit for $2000 USD from the store. I am still deciding if I should return it and get the D610. LOL

You got a great deal, was that for a new Df kit? I paid $2199 for an open box Chrome Df, with just 3 exposures on the body. Very happy with it. I love the image quality and the shutter is so quiet, it's the best by far shutter sound of any Nikon camera I've ever owned.

I would think that the Made in Japan aspect of the Df adds $200-300 to the price of the camera. I can definitely tell the difference in quality between the Df and D750 in the buttons. D750 buttons feel loose and cheap, Df feel tight and high quality.

Mine was an open box 50mm kit that had about 300 exposures on it, so $1000 off put it's about the same price as the D610 for me. I am still trying to get used to the Df since I learn on the D70 and my last DSLR was the D700. All the bodies in between were pretty much identical as well so this retro design throws me off a little. The image quality has been quite nice with my biggest complaint being focusing in low light especially since there is no auto focus assist lamp.

I admit the reason why I am still thinking about the D610 is because I am used to the modern body and the AF lamp, but I do love the look of the Df. LOL

Vudoo's gear list:Vudoo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
TheMeister Regular Member • Posts: 247

People who consider a Df usually don't give the D610 a second look and vice versa.

Two completely different cameras.

TheMeister's gear list:TheMeister's gear list
Canon PowerShot A410 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +10 more
camerosity Senior Member • Posts: 1,286

I took a look at the D600 at a local camera store once and was immediately impressed by its incredible cheapness and ugly shutter sound, and its plastic grip that reminded me of the abysmal D80 I owned 8 years ago. I put it down and never thought about one again.

camerosity's gear list:camerosity's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +13 more
TheMeister Regular Member • Posts: 247

Exactly! With me it was the other way around. Went into the store with another camera in mind (can't remember which one anymore), saw the D610 and fell in love. To me the Df makes no sense at all.

TheMeister's gear list:TheMeister's gear list
Canon PowerShot A410 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +10 more
Ray Sachs
Ray Sachs Forum Pro • Posts: 10,580

TheMeister wrote:

People who consider a Df usually don't give the D610 a second look and vice versa.

Two completely different cameras.

Really? I must be an outlier then - spent about a month with each (I was part of a loaner program for a while) before deciding on the Df. I preferred the D610 for good light and the Df for low light, was ok with the controls from either (pros and cons to both really). I finally decided I liked the Df sensor more for the kind of shooting I do and haven't looked back (although I've got the same D610 sensor in an RX1, so I have a limited version of the best of both worlds). I'm really happy with the Df, but I gave the D610 a whole lot more than a "second look"...

-Ray

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads