Street Photography in a Paranoid time.

Started Apr 10, 2014 | Discussions
GCSE Photography New Member • Posts: 1
Street Photography in a Paranoid time.
Doss Senior Member • Posts: 2,080
Re: Street Photography in a Paranoid time.

Very interesting, and I most certainly agree with your observations.

However, when you say "The UK is considered, and correctly so, as one of the most tolerant society’s in the world" are you aware that many of the negatives you highlight are a particularly British disease (which, I dare say, we caught from our close proximity to the US)?

I never feel so intimidated, or as intimidating, when out photographing strangers in any other countries.

What do you feel about the 'hidden CCTV' nature of some of the photographers on this very forum?

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,471

Doss wrote:

What do you feel about the 'hidden CCTV' nature of some of the photographers on this very forum?

I'll read the article now but we have not had a stealth photographer here for ages, I remember the last one and that was maybe 2years ago. They are not even anything to care about, they just get a thrill and never a photo

I really hope you are not referring to candid photography ...

Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 34,154

Is it really a factor of what country you are taking pictures in?  Yes, partially that's the case because of cultures and laws.  But it also depends....

From my experience, it can depend on different locations and conditions within the country.  Like for example, if you are alone with a camera and are following children with a camera at a playground, you could be given a hard time by a parent and questioned...or even threatened.  However, if you are taking pictures of children with many other people who have cameras, then a lot fewer people will bother you.  That has been my experience.  It's their perception of whether you are a threat or just a nice photographer.

Here's some recent pictures that I took in "camera friendly" environments of people I do not know, with their parents also around taking photos.  I don't have to sneak around taking the pictures, if in my judgment it's a good place where people would be acceptable of you as a photographer.  Maybe it's me also, where I carry two camera bags with two DSLR cameras and lenses.  There's no way I can sneak around taking "hidden CCTV" pictures looking like that.

Photo No. 1

Photo No. 2

Doss Senior Member • Posts: 2,080

oneANT wrote:

Doss wrote:

I'll read the article now but we have not had a stealth photographer here for ages, I remember the last one and that was maybe 2years ago. They are not even anything to care about, they just get a thrill and never a photo

I really hope you are not referring to candid photography ...

No Ant - I don't have a problem, and indulge myself, with candid photography. Though the lines between that and stealth photography are blurry at times. Personally I would regard a few (a minority) on this forum as stealth photographers. OK, not upskirt-type low lifes, but hide-in-the-corner-with-a-telephoto-shoot-and-run-and-don't-ever-interact types.

But that's not really such a bad thing in my book. Just a sad thing (for them not to experience a little knowledge of the lives of their subjects or chance to make new friends)

I think, from past conversations, we share the same view that subjects are not objects.

That's absolutely horrid to hear that someone would be murdered for innocently taking pictures.  It's unthinkable, but who knows what others might do.  So we as photographers do have to be cautious.

When this forum first began, I got into a heated discussion about telephoto lenses.  I use two DSLR cameras with both a wide angle lens and a "short" telephoto lens.  The telephoto lens gives me an ability to zoom in quickly on the moment and capture it.  I switch from one to camera/lens combination to another.  I don't want to argue with anyone about it, but I wish people would be more acceptable to the use of telephoto lenses in street photography.  I believe I've seen your pictures and they are very good.  Please recognize that there's many different ways that each of us take our pictures.

Living in Oregon, there are wide open spaces.  So it's not like people are all around us close by in a big city.  We have to be flexible.

Sometimes people can be seen far away.  Like in this picture that I took on the short side of my telephoto lens, I think that the people seen here make this photo much better.  Without them, it's a lonely place.

I would imagine that a lot of you don't think like that, that maybe you feel that the people have to be close and that you have to use a wide angle lens each time...to each his or her own I suppose.  And I may never change your minds, but I can try.

Doss wrote:

I think, from past conversations, we share the same view that subjects are not objects.

almost ...I could easily say "absolutely" not but then I am a street photographer so to be honest they are both but it depends on what I regard as object ...its beauty mostly and life and beautiful life so thats always my defense ...also some confuse documentary with street and then complain about categories and labels and such when they cannot even see the boundaries.

Does everyone know what the solution is ...I do. Its get off the goddam internet and print your photographs and show them to living people and tell them this is what street is.

This has to be done and is something I want to do

trumped up story

GCSE Photography wrote:

A few notes from my blog.

http://bap2blog.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/whos-photographing-my-child/

I take huge offence to your trumped up story and somehow assigning it as a topic of street photography.

Mr Ebrahimi's family said last month: 'It should not be forgotten that Bijan had been the victim of hate crimes for a number of years before his death, both due to his race and his physical disability.

The court heard that James (the defendant) was violent to his partner

This was a white hate crime from a lowly neighbourhood and not as you suggest.
Further to assign this to Weegee, hcb and turn it into some kind of fear-mongering is pathetic.

Is your lack of sensitivity as obvious as this in your photography ...(not a question).

Ant.

Paulmorgan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,756
Re: trumped up story

oneANT wrote:

GCSE Photography wrote:

I take huge offence to your trumped up story and somehow assigning it as a topic of street photography.

Mr Ebrahimi's family said last month: 'It should not be forgotten that Bijan had been the victim of hate crimes for a number of years before his death, both due to his race and his physical disability.

The court heard that James (the defendant) was violent to his partner

This was a white hate crime from a lowly neighbourhood and not as you suggest.
Further to assign this to Weegee, hcb and turn it into some kind of fear-mongering is pathetic.

Is your lack of sensitivity as obvious as this in your photography ...(not a question).

Ant.

Yes I`m totally with you on this Ant, this has not the slightest connection with street photography.

UtahN8
UtahN8 Junior Member • Posts: 35

I happen to think that Sontag's words, while very interesting and a must-read for any people-photographer, apply less and less every year with the proliferation of cameras all around us and the increasing surveillance we all face when in public.
     By walking out of our homes we essentially consent to be filmed and watched and photographed by any number of entities; at least a street photographer is making photos out of some interest in art or their fellow human being.

-Nathaniel
https://www.facebook.com/ccstreetphotography

UtahN8 wrote:

I happen to think that Sontag's words, while very interesting and a must-read for any people-photographer, apply less and less every year with the proliferation of cameras all around us and the increasing surveillance we all face when in public.
By walking out of our homes we essentially consent to be filmed and watched and photographed by any number of entities; at least a street photographer is making photos out of some interest in art or their fellow human being.

-Nathaniel
https://www.facebook.com/ccstreetphotography

Nicely said ... The fact that we all hide away on the internet is the biggest cause though ...they just don't know what we are doing.

Yesterday I read this www.thejournal.ie ...and some fool in the comments promotes his street pics and claims he sells them ....awesome. It becomes obvious he doesn't and is suffering from lack of attention as much as income.

We have a member here that would love to know you, Digirame ...he is always feeling on the edge and shouldn't because he street photographs in remote not urban areas, you do both and understand street ...

'star-catcher' ' shadow trick' 'odd times' 'bridging' and the koi ...brilliant!

Ant.

rjx
rjx Contributing Member • Posts: 917
Couldn't you have put your "notes" in this thread?

GCSE Photography wrote:

Instead of making people click on a link to your blog? I'm so sick and tired of people starting threads so they can lure people to their blogs.

A simple copy n paste and your "notes" would have been viewable in this thread.

If people like what you have to say they'll probably check out your blog.

rjx's gear list:rjx's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Zeiss Loxia 50
dick
dick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,241
Re: Couldn't you have put your "notes" in this thread?

rjx wrote:

GCSE Photography wrote:

Instead of making people click on a link to your blog? I'm so sick and tired of people starting threads so they can lure people to their blogs.

A simple copy n paste and your "notes" would have been viewable in this thread.

If people like what you have to say they'll probably check out your blog.

I agree with that. I think it ought to be mandatory to post a photo when starting a thread. That rule is on another site I use and it works well.

dick's gear list:dick's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Fujifilm X-S1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads