Lightroom m43 Lens Profile Support

Started Apr 8, 2014 | Discussions
WW Webster Regular Member • Posts: 395
Lightroom m43 Lens Profile Support

Olympus and Panasonic are conspicuous by their absence from the list of lenses with profiles in Lightroom.

Is anyone aware of any sources of m43 lens profiles developed independently of Adobe?

-- hide signature --
 WW Webster's gear list:WW Webster's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +4 more
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,475
Re: Lightroom m43 Lens Profile Support

WW Webster wrote:

Olympus and Panasonic are conspicuous by their absence from the list of lenses with profiles in Lightroom.

Is anyone aware of any sources of m43 lens profiles developed independently of Adobe?

Micro-FourThirds lenses have lens correction information which (most) bodies embed into the raw files. Lightroom automatically incorporates it into the raw conversion if it is there.

-- hide signature --
Dave Lively Senior Member • Posts: 1,927
Re: Lightroom m43 Lens Profile Support

All m43 lenses have information to correct linear distortion embedded in their firmware.  This was necessary because correcting distortion in software makes it possible to design significantly smaller lenses, particularly zooms and wide angle ones.  Instead of developing lens profiles Adobe uses this data.

The good news is that your current version of Lightroom will work with all m43 lenses, even ones that do not currently exist.  The bad news is that you will have to correct vignetting and fine tune CA correction manually.  I often find myself correcting vignetting and wish Adobe would include m43 lens profiles so I would not have to do this. I have also noticed that in many cases the embedded data does not fully correct the linear distortion.  I am considering getting a 12-32 when they are in stock at B&H to replace my 12mm.  One of the downsides to the small zoom is even after the embedded data is applied there is still noticeable distortion at 12mm.  Maybe this was done intentionally since fully correcting it would cause too much smearing.  But it looked OK when I corrected some samples manually so I think a full lens profile could do a better job of correcting it

If it really annoys you it is possible to develop your own profiles but it looked like it is more trouble than it is worth to me.  The Adobe site for generating your own profiles also has a list of lenses others have generated profiles for but it did not look like it has been updated in a very long time.

I really like Lightroom but if someone comes out with a competing product that lets me transfer my organizational data (keywords, titles, etc.) and has full profiles I would certainly consider switching.  The chances of that happening are slim to none but I can always hope Adobe will start developing full profiles for m43 lenses.  The odds of that happening are just slim.

OP WW Webster Regular Member • Posts: 395
Re: Lightroom m43 Lens Profile Support

All good points.  Thanks guys!

-- hide signature --
 WW Webster's gear list:WW Webster's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +4 more
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,051
Re: Lightroom m43 Lens Profile Support

Dave Lively wrote:

Maybe this was done intentionally since fully correcting it would cause too much smearing.

Or that full correction would crop the field-of-view, which is probably more important to promoting a kit lens marketed on the wide angle (12-XX) feature.

I too find the lack of fully-automatic distortion correction annoying with m43 optics, more than others it is probably manual vignetting correction which seems almost impossible to correctly address at some focal lengths on a few of my lenses (the 45-200 before, and now the 45-175 in particular). When stitching my approach often degenerates into trial-and-error, and light touches with the burn/dodge tools when I finally give up. On the EM5 the IBIS paired with the barely-large-enough image circle of the 45-175 at times causes one (or both) of the top corners of the image to mechanically fade off into black, ie: time to get creative with the "spot"-removal tool. This not-the-optical-center output from the IBIS cameras hurts any automatic approach, but I also suspect there is some underlying vignetting correction already at play since I sometimes see concentric circles of varying brightness over thumbnail size image previews after I apply the wrong values to the manual correction variables.  That shouldn't be the case with a simple vignetting determined by cosine fourth falloff.

-- hide signature --

-CW

 Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +30 more
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: Lightroom m43 Lens Profile Support

Chez Wimpy wrote:

Dave Lively wrote:

Maybe this was done intentionally since fully correcting it would cause too much smearing.

Or that full correction would crop the field-of-view, which is probably more important to promoting a kit lens marketed on the wide angle (12-XX) feature.

I too find the lack of fully-automatic distortion correction annoying with m43 optics, more than others it is probably manual vignetting correction which seems almost impossible to correctly address at some focal lengths on a few of my lenses (the 45-200 before, and now the 45-175 in particular). When stitching my approach often degenerates into trial-and-error, and light touches with the burn/dodge tools when I finally give up. On the EM5 the IBIS paired with the barely-large-enough image circle of the 45-175 at times causes one (or both) of the top corners of the image to mechanically fade off into black, ie: time to get creative with the "spot"-removal tool. This not-the-optical-center output from the IBIS cameras hurts any automatic approach, but I also suspect there is some underlying vignetting correction already at play since I sometimes see concentric circles of varying brightness over thumbnail size image previews after I apply the wrong values to the manual correction variables. That shouldn't be the case with a simple vignetting determined by cosine fourth falloff.

Chez,

Have you checked whether you have the shading compensation option turned off or on in the body. What you say about concentric circles suggests that it may be on, and it is a bad idea to keep it that way in pretty much every regard I can think of if you shoot RAW. See here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53350872

 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
clemcam Contributing Member • Posts: 645
DXO Optics Pro 9 claims to have profiles

On their website DXO claims to have detailed profiles for many m4/3 lenses.  I have only used Optics Pro on my fixed lens camera, so I have not personally verified this.  However, as soon as my E-M10 arrives I will upgrade to the Elite version and check it out.

 clemcam's gear list:clemcam's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads