Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions
Timj351
Timj351 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,125
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

I'm pretty used to Win 8.1 now but it took some time and research to learn things that shouldn't have been necessary. The Metro part of it stays out of the way now and is there if I want to explore it more. I'm yet to open a program that opens in the Metro screen instead of the desktop so I may get a little irritated if that happens. My computer is setup to open in the desktop mode and I have created a shutdown app on the taskbar as well so I never have to even see Metro unless I want to.

I have one question that I hope someone can answer. I've had a Netflix account for a few years now and I have always accessed it from Internet Explorer launched from the desktop. Since I have seen the Netflix app among the Metro tiles I decided today to access the site from there. It launched a screen offering me a trial offer as well as a current member login. So I tried to login and I get a message saying, "This account is not active. Visit Netflix.com to restart your membership." Well of course I am already a member so can anyone explain to me what is happening? It's like it is two completely different Netflix sites or something. Thanks.

-Tim

 Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Remeniz
Remeniz Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?
2

Its been said before I'm sure, but its as hard as you make it. In my opinion Windows 8.1 is slick. That's why I left clunky Windows 7 behind.

I set my machine up to boot to desktop, I put some of my most used apps on the task bar and use my system.

I venture into the Tiles interface for some apps and features and have no problems with it. And I don't think MS made a mistake, just people hate big changes. Its an OS designed to work with touch/swype input, or desktop, or both.

 Remeniz's gear list:Remeniz's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Google Nexus 4
dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

tom graham wrote:

"...The real problem is that what people actually want is the same thing over and over and over, without needing to ever reevaluate if that is actually what they like best."

This afternoon I had to do some minor (house) lawn repair. I picked up a small shovel and did the work easily. The shovel was the same shovel design that has existed for 100 yrs? 300 yrs? 800yrs? I'm very thankful MS has not been in control of its design all that time.

Tom

You think the shovel hasn't changed in 800 years?  Interesting.

Personally, I'm glad someone looked at the shovel and said "it would be great if I could adapt this to move even LARGER amounts of dirt.  Maybe even use one of those new gas powered motors or hydraulics at the same time."  I can't imagine what the modern world would look like if the only shovel available was one that existed 800 years ago.

dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Timj351 wrote:

I'm pretty used to Win 8.1 now but it took some time and research to learn things that shouldn't have been necessary. The Metro part of it stays out of the way now and is there if I want to explore it more. I'm yet to open a program that opens in the Metro screen instead of the desktop so I may get a little irritated if that happens. My computer is setup to open in the desktop mode and I have created a shutdown app on the taskbar as well so I never have to even see Metro unless I want to.

If you'd like, there are shutdown options if you right click the Start Button.  Though I'm sure the app works just as well.

I have one question that I hope someone can answer. I've had a Netflix account for a few years now and I have always accessed it from Internet Explorer launched from the desktop. Since I have seen the Netflix app among the Metro tiles I decided today to access the site from there. It launched a screen offering me a trial offer as well as a current member login. So I tried to login and I get a message saying, "This account is not active. Visit Netflix.com to restart your membership." Well of course I am already a member so can anyone explain to me what is happening? It's like it is two completely different Netflix sites or something. Thanks.

I've not experienced that.  My Netflix log on works fine across my various devices, including Win8.1 app.  Maybe you typed your password wrong?

1w12q312qw1 Contributing Member • Posts: 732
Again with the hate-card :(

Remeniz wrote:

Its been said before I'm sure, but its as hard as you make it. In my opinion Windows 8.1 is slick. That's why I left clunky Windows 7 behind.

You know, it gets old real fast hearing from the couple of psychologists on this forum about people's "hatred" for this and that and and how we "hate" BIG changes and how disgusting and ancient and now clunky Windows7 is and how repulsive the traditional Windows Start menu is. You guys insist on saying "clunky" should apply to everyone's opinion of W7, I hate when you guys do that. There are enough posters on this forum who have said over and over that if you have a party in your pants using W8, that's amazing and wonderful and we wish you a blessed day! We are ALL entitled to our opinions - period.

I set my machine up to boot to desktop, I put some of my most used apps on the task bar and use my system.

Good for you! I do the same on Windows7.

I venture into the Tiles interface for some apps and features and have no problems with it. And I don't think MS made a mistake, just people hate big changes. Its an OS designed to work with touch/swype input, or desktop, or both.

Again with the "HATE big changes". You guys simply sink to finding fault with a HUGE group of people that disagree with you. And you can't stand the fact that Windows9 will be more like 7 than 8 and that the grunts at MS refer to W8 as Vista2.0. I guess that group of people "hates" W8 and can't stand big changes too. Gotcha.

My grandson has a W8 laptop which I have used enough to form an opinion, BTW.

Stan

dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Again with the hate-card :(
1

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Remeniz wrote:

Its been said before I'm sure, but its as hard as you make it. In my opinion Windows 8.1 is slick. That's why I left clunky Windows 7 behind.

You know, it gets old real fast hearing from the couple of psychologists on this forum about people's "hatred" for this and that and and how we "hate" BIG changes and how disgusting and ancient and now clunky Windows7 is and how repulsive the traditional Windows Start menu is. You guys insist on saying "clunky" should apply to everyone's opinion of W7, I hate when you guys do that. There are enough posters on this forum who have said over and over that if you have a party in your pants using W8, that's amazing and wonderful and we wish you a blessed day! We are ALL entitled to our opinions - period.

Those sentiments are the other side of the coin from people (like you) who can't stop talking about how "childish" the 8 interface is, and how it would surely be impossible to do any "real work" with 8.

If you like 7 or Vista or XP or 98 or Linux or OSX, and that's how you get through the day, more power to you, there is no need to switch to 8 (though some act as if it's something that is being forced on them).

I set my machine up to boot to desktop, I put some of my most used apps on the task bar and use my system.

Good for you! I do the same on Windows7.

Then what's the problem?

I venture into the Tiles interface for some apps and features and have no problems with it. And I don't think MS made a mistake, just people hate big changes. Its an OS designed to work with touch/swype input, or desktop, or both.

Again with the "HATE big changes". You guys simply sink to finding fault with a HUGE group of people that disagree with you. And you can't stand the fact that Windows9 will be more like 7 than 8 and that the grunts at MS refer to W8 as Vista2.0. I guess that group of people "hates" W8 and can't stand big changes too. Gotcha.

I can stand the fact that 9 will have more elements of 7 just fine.  I don't get all bent out of shape because a menu changes positions.

Remeniz
Remeniz Forum Member • Posts: 75
I though the forum title was "Anybody Like Windows 8.1?", not "Again with the hate-card :("

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Remeniz wrote:

Its been said before I'm sure, but its as hard as you make it. In my opinion Windows 8.1 is slick. That's why I left clunky Windows 7 behind.

You know, it gets old real fast hearing from the couple of psychologists on this forum about people's "hatred" for this and that and and how we "hate" BIG changes and how disgusting and ancient and now clunky Windows7 is and how repulsive the traditional Windows Start menu is. You guys insist on saying "clunky" should apply to everyone's opinion of W7, I hate when you guys do that. There are enough posters on this forum who have said over and over that if you have a party in your pants using W8, that's amazing and wonderful and we wish you a blessed day! We are ALL entitled to our opinions - period.

Don't think I need to say anything here as you contradicted yourself.

I set my machine up to boot to desktop, I put some of my most used apps on the task bar and use my system.

Good for you! I do the same on Windows7.

....

I venture into the Tiles interface for some apps and features and have no problems with it. And I don't think MS made a mistake, just people hate big changes. Its an OS designed to work with touch/swype input, or desktop, or both.

Again with the "HATE big changes". You guys simply sink to finding fault with a HUGE group of people that disagree with you. And you can't stand the fact that Windows9 will be more like 7 than 8 and that the grunts at MS refer to W8 as Vista2.0. I guess that group of people "hates" W8 and can't stand big changes too. Gotcha.

My grandson has a W8 laptop which I have used enough to form an opinion, BTW.

Your clearly having a bad day and took it out on me. That's fair enough. But my post is based on my experience too, since running XP, W7, and W8. And I still think that people, used in a very general term, don't like change, or are, at least, uncomfortable with it.

Like you said, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and so am I. Enjoy Windows 7 if that's what you feel like using. I'm not bashing you, or anyone, for it.

 Remeniz's gear list:Remeniz's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Google Nexus 4
1w12q312qw1 Contributing Member • Posts: 732
Re: Again with the hate-card :(

dradam wrote:

Those sentiments are the other side of the coin from people (like you) who can't stop talking about how "childish" the 8 interface is, and how it would surely be impossible to do any "real work" with 8.

I never said those things, you're quoting someone else.

If you like 7 or Vista or XP or 98 or Linux or OSX, and that's how you get through the day, more power to you, there is no need to switch to 8 (though some act as if it's something that is being forced on them).

I set my machine up to boot to desktop, I put some of my most used apps on the task bar and use my system.

Good for you! I do the same on Windows7.

Then what's the problem?

Your 2,000 posts about Windows8.

I venture into the Tiles interface for some apps and features and have no problems with it. And I don't think MS made a mistake, just people hate big changes. Its an OS designed to work with touch/swype input, or desktop, or both.

Again with the "HATE big changes". You guys simply sink to finding fault with a HUGE group of people that disagree with you. And you can't stand the fact that Windows9 will be more like 7 than 8 and that the grunts at MS refer to W8 as Vista2.0. I guess that group of people "hates" W8 and can't stand big changes too. Gotcha.

I can stand the fact that 9 will have more elements of 7 just fine. I don't get all bent out of shape because a menu changes positions.

Right as usual, I'm bent out of shape because of BIG changes in your OS and shall now go slit my wrists. Thanks for your assistance. Talking to you is always the high point of my day.

Stan

Remeniz
Remeniz Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: Again with the hate-card :(

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

dradam wrote:

Those sentiments are the other side of the coin from people (like you) who can't stop talking about how "childish" the 8 interface is, and how it would surely be impossible to do any "real work" with 8.

I never said those things, you're quoting someone else.

If you like 7 or Vista or XP or 98 or Linux or OSX, and that's how you get through the day, more power to you, there is no need to switch to 8 (though some act as if it's something that is being forced on them).

I set my machine up to boot to desktop, I put some of my most used apps on the task bar and use my system.

Good for you! I do the same on Windows7.

Then what's the problem?

Your 2,000 posts about Windows8.

I venture into the Tiles interface for some apps and features and have no problems with it. And I don't think MS made a mistake, just people hate big changes. Its an OS designed to work with touch/swype input, or desktop, or both.

Again with the "HATE big changes". You guys simply sink to finding fault with a HUGE group of people that disagree with you. And you can't stand the fact that Windows9 will be more like 7 than 8 and that the grunts at MS refer to W8 as Vista2.0. I guess that group of people "hates" W8 and can't stand big changes too. Gotcha.

I can stand the fact that 9 will have more elements of 7 just fine. I don't get all bent out of shape because a menu changes positions.

Right as usual, I'm bent out of shape because of BIG changes in your OS and shall now go slit my wrists. Thanks for your assistance. Talking to you is always the high point of my day.

Stan

Stan. What ever the issue is I don't think this is the right place to sort it out. Were all having a friendly discussion about Windows 8.1. Check the thread title.

 Remeniz's gear list:Remeniz's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Google Nexus 4
Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,586
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Not to interrupt the emerging flamewar, but I thought I'd mention that I just installed Update 1 (all today's updates totaled a bit more than 900 MB on my system) onto my Windows 8.1 gaming/testing drive.

I restarted without Classic Shell to have a look; the "Apps by name" screen was handy to show how much useless cruft my gaming/testing drive had. It inspired me to clean up a bunch of old, discarded installs.

I'll think about it some more, but so far I'd still rather have the nested hierarchical approach of the Start menu vs. the Apps screen for my seldom-used programs.

(All frequently used programs are in a custom toolbar on a vertical taskbar for single-click access. Works the same on both Windows 7 and 8.1)

Classic Shell v. 4.02 seems to work fine with Update 1. I suppose I should update CS, but I'll give the CS folks a few days before I do.

No visible change to my desktop except a new "Store" icon pinned to the taskbar. Surprise, surprise!

(We now return you to the regularly scheduled insult-fest).

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a77 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +3 more
dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Again with the hate-card :(
1

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

dradam wrote:

Those sentiments are the other side of the coin from people (like you) who can't stop talking about how "childish" the 8 interface is, and how it would surely be impossible to do any "real work" with 8.

I never said those things, you're quoting someone else.

I'm not quoting anyone, though such things have been said.

If you like 7 or Vista or XP or 98 or Linux or OSX, and that's how you get through the day, more power to you, there is no need to switch to 8 (though some act as if it's something that is being forced on them).

I set my machine up to boot to desktop, I put some of my most used apps on the task bar and use my system.

Good for you! I do the same on Windows7.

Then what's the problem?

Your 2,000 posts about Windows8.

I have started 0 threads about it.  It is a problem for you that I participate in this forum?  If you don't wish to hear other opinions, you are certainly free to ignore them.

I venture into the Tiles interface for some apps and features and have no problems with it. And I don't think MS made a mistake, just people hate big changes. Its an OS designed to work with touch/swype input, or desktop, or both.

Again with the "HATE big changes". You guys simply sink to finding fault with a HUGE group of people that disagree with you. And you can't stand the fact that Windows9 will be more like 7 than 8 and that the grunts at MS refer to W8 as Vista2.0. I guess that group of people "hates" W8 and can't stand big changes too. Gotcha.

I can stand the fact that 9 will have more elements of 7 just fine. I don't get all bent out of shape because a menu changes positions.

Right as usual, I'm bent out of shape because of BIG changes in your OS and shall now go slit my wrists. Thanks for your assistance. Talking to you is always the high point of my day.

If it's "my OS" then what do you care?  I like it, so I use it.  Others ask about it, so I reply.  I don't sit over on the Mac board complaining about OSX, because I don't use it.  All this raises the question, why then are you so interested in this thread or what gets said about 8?

As for the rest, I'd personally recommend against slitting your wrists.

dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Austinian wrote:

Not to interrupt the emerging flamewar, but I thought I'd mention that I just installed Update 1 (all today's updates totaled a bit more than 900 MB on my system) onto my Windows 8.1 gaming/testing drive.

I restarted without Classic Shell to have a look; the "Apps by name" screen was handy to show how much useless cruft my gaming/testing drive had. It inspired me to clean up a bunch of old, discarded installs.

I'll think about it some more, but so far I'd still rather have the nested hierarchical approach of the Start menu vs. the Apps screen for my seldom-used programs.

(All frequently used programs are in a custom toolbar on a vertical taskbar for single-click access. Works the same on both Windows 7 and 8.1)

Classic Shell v. 4.02 seems to work fine with Update 1. I suppose I should update CS, but I'll give the CS folks a few days before I do.

No visible change to my desktop except a new "Store" icon pinned to the taskbar. Surprise, surprise!

(We now return you to the regularly scheduled insult-fest).

Interesting.  I haven't had the time to get update 1 yet.  Is the "Apps by name" any different than it was before?  I haven't read that it was due for a change.

I do wish it was possible to perhaps expand and collapse items in that view.  I don't really want to scroll past 19 different Nikon icons to get to the second half of the alphabet.

Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,586
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

dradam wrote:

Interesting. I haven't had the time to get update 1 yet. Is the "Apps by name" any different than it was before? I haven't read that it was due for a change.

I actually can't say; I'm not familiar with how it looked before, since it had been so long since I was in Metro mode.

I do wish it was possible to perhaps expand and collapse items in that view. I don't really want to scroll past 19 different Nikon icons to get to the second half of the alphabet.

That's a good idea. The Apps screen was full of useless stuff like multiple languages' documentation for software I don't use. Too much distraction.

Perhaps a collapsible, hierarchichal Apps screen could be designed with the best features of both methods.

Sheer wild speculation: maybe we'll see a Windows 9 with an "Apps" menu in place of the "Start" menu, that behaves as you describe.

Sheer dreaming: it's configurable as to what's displayed and how it's displayed.

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a77 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +3 more
dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Austinian wrote:

dradam wrote:

Interesting. I haven't had the time to get update 1 yet. Is the "Apps by name" any different than it was before? I haven't read that it was due for a change.

I actually can't say; I'm not familiar with how it looked before, since it had been so long since I was in Metro mode.

I do wish it was possible to perhaps expand and collapse items in that view. I don't really want to scroll past 19 different Nikon icons to get to the second half of the alphabet.

That's a good idea. The Apps screen was full of useless stuff like multiple languages' documentation for software I don't use. Too much distraction.

Perhaps a collapsible, hierarchichal Apps screen could be designed with the best features of both methods.

Sheer wild speculation: maybe we'll see a Windows 9 with an "Apps" menu in place of the "Start" menu, that behaves as you describe.

Sheer dreaming: it's configurable as to what's displayed and how it's displayed.

Actually, the Start Menu itself is on its way back. Likely even before the release of Win9.

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-is-bringing-the-start-menu-back-to-windows-8-1557023798

I do hope after things settle we'll end up with a system with significantly more customization options, along with the ability to adapt to device/input type to determine default behavior (this was actually the biggest thing about update 1 that Ive read about).

1w12q312qw1 Contributing Member • Posts: 732
Re: Again with the hate-card :(

dradam wrote:

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

If

As for the rest, I'd personally recommend against slitting your wrists.

I will NEVER take your advice about anything.

1w12q312qw1 Contributing Member • Posts: 732
Re: Again with the hate-card :(

Remeniz wrote:

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

dradam wrote:

Those sentiments are the other side of the coin from people (like you) who can't stop talking about how "childish" the 8 interface is, and how it would surely be impossible to do any "real

Right as usual, I'm bent out of shape because of BIG changes in your OS and shall now go slit my wrists. Thanks for your assistance. Talking to you is always the high point of my day.

Stan

Stan. What ever the issue is I don't think this is the right place to sort it out. Were all having a friendly discussion about Windows 8.1. Check the thread title.

Remeniz,

Every time I post something about W7 versus W8, dradam comes along and bullies me to no end. He hates my guts for some reason and everyone on this forum knows it. He wants me out of this forum and that's OK. He wants me dead, too, and that's OK.

Stan

Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,586
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

dradam wrote:

Actually, the Start Menu itself is on its way back. Likely even before the release of Win9.

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-is-bringing-the-start-menu-back-to-windows-8-1557023798

I do hope after things settle we'll end up with a system with significantly more customization options, along with the ability to adapt to device/input type to determine default behavior (this was actually the biggest thing about update 1 that Ive read about).

I'm a bit pessimistic about more customization. It seems like the trend has in some respects been in the other direction; from XP->7->8, we've had fewer choices for some UI features like window colors, border thickness etc.

As far as adaptation goes, I'd rather have more direct control of the UI myself, rather than trusting something automatic. Update 1 did boot directly to my non-touch desktop without being told, so that worked at least.

[optimist] We can hope. Perhaps the whole Windows 8 fiasco will prove to be a salutary learning experience for Microsoft. [/optimist]

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a77 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +3 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,600
Re: Again with the hate-card :(

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Every time I post something about W7 versus W8, dradam comes along and bullies me to no end.

Just put him on your ignore list and save yourself the grief...

dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Austinian wrote:

dradam wrote:

Actually, the Start Menu itself is on its way back. Likely even before the release of Win9.

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-is-bringing-the-start-menu-back-to-windows-8-1557023798

I do hope after things settle we'll end up with a system with significantly more customization options, along with the ability to adapt to device/input type to determine default behavior (this was actually the biggest thing about update 1 that Ive read about).

I'm a bit pessimistic about more customization. It seems like the trend has in some respects been in the other direction; from XP->7->8, we've had fewer choices for some UI features like window colors, border thickness etc.

By customization, I refer more to interface than to actual appearance.

As far as adaptation goes, I'd rather have more direct control of the UI myself, rather than trusting something automatic. Update 1 did boot directly to my non-touch desktop without being told, so that worked at least.

I think adaptation will be a very important feature.  I have a Win8 tablet that I primarily use with touch, but occationally I do connect a mouse and keyboard.  I like many of the new mouse focused features of update 1, but would not want them without a mouse.

[optimist] We can hope. Perhaps the whole Windows 8 fiasco will prove to be a salutary learning experience for Microsoft. [/optimist]

dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Again with the hate-card :(
1

Sean Nelson wrote:

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Every time I post something about W7 versus W8, dradam comes along and bullies me to no end.

Just put him on your ignore list and save yourself the grief...

If you feel that what I say has been bullying, or in any way focused at 1w12q312qw1, feel free to report me to the mods.

If not, I'd rather you not support his rather obsessive persecution complex that he has focused at me.

Either way, I WOULD like to be on his ignore list.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads