D600 with a new shutter or D610?

Started Apr 5, 2014 | Discussions
mjb2 Regular Member • Posts: 153
D600 with a new shutter or D610?

Folks - I'm off to Africa in a few weeks and am going to pick up a second body as (1) backup to my 800e and (2) to have a wider-angle lens/camera combo ready to go. I'm either going to get a D600 or a D610 and after the trip this will probably be my travel camera body.

There are several D600s with low shutter counts for sale in the area including a couple that have been back to Nikon for shutter replacements. Given that this is a backup body, I'd be OK spending $1200 on one of these rather than $1900 on a new D610 as long as I'm comfortable that the Nikon shutter replacement fix has really fixed the oil/flakes problem. Here is what Thom Hogan said:

"In the typical repair report I'm seeing for cameras that have the problem Nikon is replacing the entire shutter mechanism. If that's the case with a camera you send in to Nikon, you should be fine after the repair. I've heard of no cases of repeating debris buildup after a shutter replacement."

Do any of you out there in Dpreview forum land have direct experience with a returned D600 with new shutters and can support or refute Thom's statement?

Thanks!

Nikon D600 Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alan Brown
Alan Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 5,532
a rock and a hard place....

you are not giving yourself much time to test a camera out, what ever you buy.

I'd save the money if I had the time beforehand.. but even a new camera needs some testing out before a trip..

God luck either way

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
dearman1 New Member • Posts: 3
Re: D600 with a new shutter or D610?

My D-600 shutter was replaced last October. I may have about 1000 clicks since that time and so far, so good.  I do not know if this is a good testament for this camera or not.  I have lost confidence in it its performance.

Good Luck,

JED

dearman1's gear list:dearman1's gear list
Nikon D600
onthegofoto New Member • Posts: 11

I was in the same dilemma and chose to buy a D600 for around the price you mentioned. The previous owner had just sent it in for shutter replacement.

That was a couple of weeks ago and only time will tell if I made the right decision. So far, I'm very happy.

onthegofoto's gear list:onthegofoto's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D3S +9 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,985

I don't know how much an African safari costs, but I'm pretty sure it's more than what I pay for my occasional 2 weeks in England.    I'm also assuming this is not something you expect to do again anytime soon.

At that point, it seems to me that since you're looking at a new camera anyway, you might want to give serious consideration to a second new D800 or D800e and be done with it.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

rdhphoto1 Regular Member • Posts: 283
You could always rent a camera......

...for the trip.

Good luck with your photography.

Lab D Senior Member • Posts: 6,938
How about D600 without a new shutter

You can get a D600 without a new shutter for less money.  Order a sensor wet clean kit to take with you too.   If you don't have any problems, then you end up ahead.  If your sensor gets dirty, you can either clean it in an emergency or send it to Nikon for a free cleaning.  Eventually, and maybe the first time, they will replace the shutter with a new one.  It is nice knowing that sometime in the future you can have the shutter replaced for free, and that is something you won't get with the 2 options you mentioned.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads