about to make a decision

Started Apr 5, 2014 | Discussions
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 5,065
Re: about to make a decision

thedoctor1 wrote:

I have shot for awhile and my work is good I'm really trying to get lower light cameras with better ISO,less noise and more resolution. The problem is now I'm going back and forth between the a65 or a 77

I was using two d2xs which where not that great in low light, I like shooting natural but sometimes it's not possible

i oicked up a nikon d7100 which I do like and another d300 but was looking for something with better low light.

the whole thing started after getting the NEX-7 love it but need a regular size for the bigger stuff this is what I'm going back and forth on the a65 and a77 I'm not sure I want to pay extra for the a77 but if it's that much better might have to

A65 and A77 same EVF // Same Sensor

A77

• Better (heavier) body
  • Better control set dials, joystick etc.
  • Lens Micro adjust.. really critical if shooting lenses at wider apertures with narrow DOF.

Current deal is with a free grip at Amazon and some other dealers still.. you have to add it to the shopping cart and price is zeroed out.

You can sell the grip for $150 to $200 as new on Ebay... So A77 is really $600-650

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Mihai Muntean
Mihai Muntean Forum Member • Posts: 95

123Mike wrote:

Personally, if I'd be shooting weddings, I would (yes) want to be seen with an A77. The heft makes you look professional, and mean business. I'd probably back it up with 2 E-mounts, one with a 60mm prime and 30mm prime, and one with a fish-eye lens. The A77 I'd equip with an 16-50 F/2.8 lens (get it as a combo).

I think you forget that wedding`s are for people getting married not for people scrutinizing photographer's equipment. As long as you are comfortable with the way your equipment handles and you deliver a GOOD FINAL PRODUCT I don`t think it matters what camera you`re using.

Having said that, personally i think any of the NEXes are not really apt for my needs. They feel too light and I hate the fact they don`t have a Viewfinder. Battery wise as well they`re no match to an A99 with the extra grip or my good friend, the A900. I do shoot weddings with an A65 and the A900 and the people are happy

Cheers,

Mihai

ArCreation Photography

Mihai Muntean's gear list:Mihai Muntean's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A65 Sony Alpha a99 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +5 more
Wally626 Senior Member • Posts: 2,312

thedoctor1 wrote:

Someone mentioned a hs lens didn't know what that meant

and the other question was is 400 dollars a good price for a a65 with a lens the smaller zoom

There was a mention of a SH lens, meaning second hand, or used.

thedoctor1 Junior Member • Posts: 32

Drum roollllllllll

it looks like I'm leaning towards the A77 if this guy gives me a good deal on it I'm going to do it plus  I can get a battery grip for it so I'm  leaning towards it but if not then the A65 will do the job will know by tomorrow

Thanks for all the answers

Cheers,

G

Moredsir Forum Member • Posts: 73

K E Hoffman wrote:

A65 and A77 same EVF // Same Sensor

A77

• Better (heavier) body
  • Better control set dials, joystick etc.
  • Lens Micro adjust.. really critical if shooting lenses at wider apertures with narrow DOF.

Current deal is with a free grip at Amazon and some other dealers still.. you have to add it to the shopping cart and price is zeroed out.

You can sell the grip for $150 to $200 as new on Ebay... So A77 is really $600-650

All good advice. As a A65 owner I am pretty happy, however I am also a fussy person and if I was to buy at current pricing differences I would no doubt go A77. The other features I would like is wider auto bracketing (A65 is useless in this), extra dial, ISO50, LCD 3 axis pivot, AF assist lamp and I would pay the extra for them now that the prices are a lot closer. In fact seriously looking to swap over myself, even if there is a A77MKII imminent it will be priced too high for me I'm sure.

Moredsir's gear list:Moredsir's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +1 more
thebustos Senior Member • Posts: 3,115

You also forgot the ability to set auto ISO limits, higher shutter speed, higher flash sync speed, and DMF with focus peaking for SSM/screw drive lenses.

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more
JusLookN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,257

Why aren't you looking into a good used D-700 or a D-3? For wedding work how about the the D-610?

-- hide signature --

Glenn
I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

JusLookN's gear list:JusLookN's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D3S Sony a77 II Nikon D810 +1 more
thedoctor1 Junior Member • Posts: 32

I just like the way sony shoots in my opinion it seems a little better than the Nikons I have

im trying to get a good deal in the a65 or a77

OP windwolf Junior Member • Posts: 31

And the winner is......................

Bought the A77 got it for a great price and picked up one prime so next is getting some lenses Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Cheers,

G

Mark Turney
Mark Turney Senior Member • Posts: 1,924

Mihai Muntean wrote:

I think you forget that wedding`s are for people getting married not for people scrutinizing photographer's equipment. As long as you are comfortable with the way your equipment handles and you deliver a GOOD FINAL PRODUCT I don`t think it matters what camera you`re using.

Having said that, personally i think any of the NEXes are not really apt for my needs. They feel too light and I hate the fact they don`t have a Viewfinder. Battery wise as well they`re no match to an A99 with the extra grip or my good friend, the A900. I do shoot weddings with an A65 and the A900 and the people are happy

Cheers,

Mihai

ArCreation Photography

Agree 100% - I shoot with an A700/vertical grip, Minolta 50/1.7, and shoe mounted flash with soft box. My gf and "photographic partner in crime" shoots with an A65, Tamron 28-70/2.8, and shoe mounted flash with soft box. As the primary shooter, when I need wider angle, I just swap cameras with her. So far, we have had very positive comments about our work. And, not a single person has ever asked me what brand I shoot. Unfortunately, I still get the "your camera takes great photos", whereby I just grin and bear it .... lol.

The only "equipment" advice I will adamantly give is to have backup equipment and try to stay with one brand so that everything is interchangeable.

Take care.

-- hide signature --
 Mark Turney's gear list:Mark Turney's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Ricoh GR Sony SLT-A65 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads