I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture

Started Apr 2, 2014 | Discussions
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson Senior Member • Posts: 1,144
I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture

I'm thinking about the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 - I would appreciate to hear from owners and to see some shots. Are you happy with this lens, general handling etc... (I have the GX7 so I don't want the Olympus 12-24, though it is undoubtedly great..)

What I like about the 12-35 is the versatility (landscape, architecture, environmental portraits, etc...)

The Pana 7-14 and Oly 9-18 are too wide for my tastes, maybe later...

Then it's the Olympus 12 f/2... that's a lens that interests me...

Any thoughts, advice, ideas?

As you can see from my gear list I have the GX7, the Panasonic 20 f/17 ll, the Panasonic Leica 25 f/1.4 and the Panasonic 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 ll.

-- hide signature --
 Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list:Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 II
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fredrik Glckner Veteran Member • Posts: 3,678
Re: I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture

You could consider the New 12-32mm lens. It is almost as good as the 12-35mm lens at 12mm, and much smaller. Some tests I made here:

http://m43photo.blogspot.fi/2014/03/comparison-12mm.html

http://m43photo.blogspot.fi/2014/03/comparison-30mm.html

The 12-35mm lens is indeed better, but does the difference matter to you? I'm using the 12-32mm lens now, unless I absolutely need the f/2.8.

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
OP Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

You could consider the New 12-32mm lens. It is almost as good as the 12-35mm lens at 12mm, and much smaller. Some tests I made here:

http://m43photo.blogspot.fi/2014/03/comparison-12mm.html

http://m43photo.blogspot.fi/2014/03/comparison-30mm.html

The 12-35mm lens is indeed better, but does the difference matter to you? I'm using the 12-32mm lens now, unless I absolutely need the f/2.8.

Thank you for answering, I did have the 12-32, I did like it but I sold it.

I'm something of a lens snob - it's sad to say - i.e. I have a problem with variable aperture lenses... I bought the 14-140, so my next lens has to have a fixed aperture through all the range ....

so, I'm really thinking about the Panasonic 12-35 - and would love to hear from owners.... !

Panasonic G85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 II
MikeyLNG Forum Member • Posts: 62

I don't understand how the 12mm is fine, but the 7-14mm and 9-18mm are too wide, even though they both cover 12mm and then some. I would think the wider would certainly give you more options and possibly more interesting shots specifically for landscape/architecture.

MikeyLNG's gear list:MikeyLNG's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson

MikeyLNG wrote:

I don't understand how the 12mm is fine, but the 7-14mm and 9-18mm are too wide, even though they both cover 12mm and then some. I would think the wider would certainly give you more options and possibly more interesting shots specifically for landscape/architecture.

You are right in what you are saying, but I also want to shoot environmental portraits, so I'm looking at the 12-35...

I may be wrong, so yeah, maybe I should look at the 7-14 or the 9-18? I'm willing to learn and listen to advice....

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
I need fast lenses

MikeyLNG wrote:

Another factor, I live in Iceland, it's very dark here from long parts of the year, so it's important that to have fast lenses... the 12-35 has a f/2.8 aperture, the Oly 12 is a f/2 ... I like that... 7-14 is a f/4 and the Oly f/4-5.6... I already have one slow lens, the 14-140, I really can't 'afford' to have another...

Gravi
Gravi Senior Member • Posts: 1,545
Well..

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson wrote:

I'm thinking about the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 - I would appreciate to hear from owners and to see some shots. Are you happy with this lens, general handling etc... (I have the GX7 so I don't want the Olympus 12-24, though it is undoubtedly great..)

What I like about the 12-35 is the versatility (landscape, architecture, environmental portraits, etc...)

As you can see from my gear list I have the GX7, the Panasonic 20 f/17 ll, the Panasonic Leica 25 f/1.4 and the Panasonic 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 ll.

I have it on my E-M5 and love it. Great, versatile, good IQ, compact. It is the lens I usually start out with when taking my camera. However, when I look at my favourite shots, many of them are not taken with this lens. For landscapes and architecture, most of my favourites are taken with the 9-18mm. For portraits the Oly 45mm or Pana 25mm. Close ups some tele or macro lens. So, my conclusion: the 12-35 is a great allrounder, but it does not replace the rest of my bag of lenses. Not even close.

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Re: Well..

Gravi wrote:

I have it on my E-M5 and love it. Great, versatile, good IQ, compact. It is the lens I usually start out with when taking my camera. However, when I look at my favourite shots, many of them are not taken with this lens. For landscapes and architecture, most of my favourites are taken with the 9-18mm. For portraits the Oly 45mm or Pana 25mm. Close ups some tele or macro lens. So, my conclusion: the 12-35 is a great allrounder, but it does not replace the rest of my bag of lenses. Not even close.

That's interesting, maybe I should bite the bullet and get the 9-18? I have the 25 for portraits... so?

Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 8,207

MikeyLNG wrote:

You are right in what you are saying, but I also want to shoot environmental portraits, so I'm looking at the 12-35...

The 12-35mm is an excellent lens for environmental portraits and you just can't go wrong with it.

OTOH, if you buy the 12-35mm f/2.8, then the, you'll not have much of use for the 12mm f/2.0 unless you really need this extra stop for low light scenes.

I may be wrong, so yeah, maybe I should look at the 7-14 or the 9-18? I'm willing to learn and listen to advice....

You should. The 9-18 is a great lens for landscape / architecture work and I never leave home without it.

Moti

al_in_philly Regular Member • Posts: 478

Have you considdered waiting for the new P/L 15mm f1.7?  The early samples show wonderful sharpness, minimal (for its focal length) distortion, and you then have that f1.7 aperture for low noise interior shots.

al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +1 more

Since you must have a fixed max aperture, something I think is hard to understand, I think the choice is clear: the 7-14mm lens.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/06/lumix-g-7-14mm-f4-ultra-wide-angle-lens.html

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson

Since you must have a fixed max aperture, something I think is hard to understand, I think the choice is clear: the 7-14mm lens.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/06/lumix-g-7-14mm-f4-ultra-wide-angle-lens.html

I have a complex regarding this - I admit that freely - probably because zoom lenses used to be bad...

I'm willing to be persuaded to change my mind ... If someone proves to me/tells me that variable aperture is ok... then I'll change my mind...

all of us have some irrational ideas, I'm willing to admit mine ... and try to change

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson

al_in_philly wrote:

Have you considdered waiting for the new P/L 15mm f1.7? The early samples show wonderful sharpness, minimal (for its focal length) distortion, and you then have that f1.7 aperture for low noise interior shots.

Yes, I have actually thought about that ... maybe I should just wait for this lens... it's of course not very wide (30mm FF) so, that a concern, but I sure it's very good for environmental stuff....

Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 8,207
Re: I need fast lenses

Another factor, I live in Iceland, it's very dark here from long parts of the year, so it's important that to have fast lenses... the 12-35 has a f/2.8 aperture, the Oly 12 is a f/2 ... I like that... 7-14 is a f/4 and the Oly f/4-5.6... I already have one slow lens, the 14-140, I really can't 'afford' to have another...

Iceland is beautiful and true that part of the year can be quite low in light but I can think of places which are much worse than Iceland in this respect.

The one stop difference between the 12mm and the 12-35mm isn't going to do much of a difference here. A tripod or a monopod, costing a fraction of the price than the 12mm will be much more helpful, also for your other lenses. I know, I know, you don't like tripods...

Moti

infiniti029 Regular Member • Posts: 176

I recently brought my Oly 9-18 to your country. It performed great imo, beautiful place! But i'm in a similar boat as you, considering getting the 12-35. It's just $$$. :/

infiniti029's gear list:infiniti029's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,708

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

Absolutely! The 7-14mm is the way to go. I rarely have problems with it's f4-ness.

I use it for my interior architectural and design work. The 7mm end is great for shooting interiors. It takes a bit of practice to learn to work with it, but results can be fantastic. A monopod or leaning against things works great if I don't have a tripod or there isn't space for one… that can be a real problem for small New York City apartments!

It also makes an excellent and extremely flexible travel lens. Street shooting, too.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more

I have a complex regarding this - I admit that freely - probably because zoom lenses used to be bad...

Why spend the effort to change? You could get the new Samyang 10mm f/2.8: No zoom, no variable max aperture, no AF, manual aperture ring. No in-camera software distortion correction. What can go wrong?

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Ok, I will look into that, the 7-14

jeffharris wrote:

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

Absolutely! The 7-14mm is the way to go. I rarely have problems with it's f4-ness.

I use it for my interior architectural and design work. The 7mm end is great for shooting interiors. It takes a bit of practice to learn to work with it, but results can be fantastic. A monopod or leaning against things works great if I don't have a tripod or there isn't space for one… that can be a real problem for small New York City apartments!

It also makes an excellent and extremely flexible travel lens. Street shooting, too.

I think this is good advice... a lens that will complement my other lenses... thank you guys ...

In other news, just ordered the Sigma 60 f/2.8 - $250 including shipping / eBay ...  that should take care of the portrait range ...  

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

Why spend the effort to change? You could get the new Samyang 10mm f/2.8: No zoom, no variable max aperture, no AF, manual aperture ring. No in-camera software distortion correction. What can go wrong?

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/

Too big, too limited ... IMO

Re: Ok, I will look into that, the 7-14

jeffharris wrote:

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

I think this is good advice... a lens that will complement my other lenses... thank you guys ...

In other news, just ordered the Sigma 60 f/2.8 - $250 including shipping / eBay ... that should take care of the portrait range ...

Yes, the Sigma 60mm lens is a good one. Comparison with the 35-100mm ZOOM here:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2014/03/comparison-60mm.html

Strangely, it looks like the ZOOM lens is the better one, but I could be wrong.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads