Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.

Started Apr 2, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
G3User Regular Member • Posts: 221
Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
24

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon. Now it's evident he was not telling the truth. Today, he announced the launch of a Canon fan boy tour. Also, DXO marks say that he was not telling the truth when he said that the 1Dx was better than the D4. Nikon DXO marks clearly trump Canon's. What a joke Scott Kelby. I no longer subscribe to your videos or watch your pod-casts.

Canon EOS-1D Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bill1000Evening
Bill1000Evening Regular Member • Posts: 233
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
1

+1

 Bill1000Evening's gear list:Bill1000Evening's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +8 more
benjaminblack
benjaminblack Contributing Member • Posts: 589
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
7

G3User wrote:

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon. Now it's evident he was not telling the truth. Today, he announced the launch of a Canon fan boy tour. Also, DXO marks say that he was not telling the truth when he said that the 1Dx was better than the D4. Nikon DXO marks clearly trump Canon's. What a joke Scott Kelby. I no longer subscribe to your videos or watch your pod-casts.

We're all running businesses. The only thing that matters is money. I can assure you he's motivated by nothing else. You can't blame him for that. Should he be hones about it? Probably not. When it comes to PR, it's never really good to admit you're motivated entirely by money. You're supposed to like, care, about others...or something. Yeah so you say that publicly. Or maybe the environment. Or animals. Or the community. But it's really just about delicious money.

 benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +5 more
Bill1000Evening
Bill1000Evening Regular Member • Posts: 233
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
37

Frankly I don't care what kind of camera he uses or endorses.  After reading one of his Photoshop books and watching some of his videos, I've come to the opinion that he's more of a carnival act than a photographer.  I've kind of given up on his sidekick Matt K as well.

 Bill1000Evening's gear list:Bill1000Evening's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +8 more
frank-in-toronto Senior Member • Posts: 1,030
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
2

nobody is in business for the fun of it.  i have seen plenty of his videos and he comes across like any other professional.  got some good ideas.  somewhat long-winded. it can hardly be a surprise that a professional uses and brags about equipment they get paid to use.  he's effectively an employee of canon.  with that in mind, his reviews of canon or other manufacturers should carry less weight with his audience.

-- hide signature --
rayman 2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,228
Who cares !!! (nt)
17

Who cares !!! (nt)

rdhphoto1 Regular Member • Posts: 267
Kelby is just one of many.....
3

.......that have switched to Canon over the years.

When Outdoor Photographer Magazine launched, George Lepp, Dewitt Jones, David Stoecklein, and most of the other writers and photographers were all shooting Nikon.....now they are all shooting Canon. Did Canon BUY them all, or is there another reason they switched??

Yes, there are still a few big names (Wildlife/Nature) shooting Nikon, but the numbers are few. Moose Peterson said he would never switch to MAC computers because the Dell PC was all he needed.....then switched to MAC about 6-8 months ago. Will the "Nikon Ambassador" switch to Canon next??? Time will tell.

Good luck with your photography.

Araucaria Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Kelby is just one of many.....
1

Of course they are being paid, otherwise they would use a lot of different gear.  Its not like cameras were expensive these days.

SVPhotography Regular Member • Posts: 393
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
2

Put it this way - if Canon offered you a couple of 1Dxs with any lens you want to go with it for free - wouldn't you switch?

G3User wrote:

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon. Now it's evident he was not telling the truth. Today, he announced the launch of a Canon fan boy tour. Also, DXO marks say that he was not telling the truth when he said that the 1Dx was better than the D4. Nikon DXO marks clearly trump Canon's. What a joke Scott Kelby. I no longer subscribe to your videos or watch your pod-casts.

Paul P K
Paul P K Regular Member • Posts: 434
Happens, seems the norm these days
2

Last week we had the Professional Imaging 2014 photographic fair/convention (for pros and amateurs) in the Netherlands.

One of the speakers was Joe McNally, known Nikon user, who during his demonstration funheartedly poked fun with users of other brands. No serious harm done there.

Then came a ' well known' modelphotographer (didn't know that category existed prfessionally, I  know portrait, fashion, sports, prduct etc. photographers, but 'modelphotographer'?) Frank Doornbos (never heard of the guy, apperently well known in a small amateur orientated circle in the Netherlands, but internationally?) who in his self centered chest banging 'presentation' bragged about his workshops (apparently his main source of income) and took much trouble to put every other camera brand down to only put Sony at the top.

It would have been easy to believe him, if you wouod not have seen his site where ( coincidentally?) his blog was amnong of many other product plugs full of posts in which Sony camera's featured.

Just another KR wannabee, talk and promote what you're paid for, and genuine information be d**ned.

-- hide signature --

all in a day's work
http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/

 Paul P K's gear list:Paul P K's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D1H +12 more
rayman 2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,228
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
1

SVPhotography wrote:

Put it this way - if Canon offered you a couple of 1Dxs with any lens you want to go with it for free - wouldn't you switch?

G3User wrote:

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon. Now it's evident he was not telling the truth. Today, he announced the launch of a Canon fan boy tour. Also, DXO marks say that he was not telling the truth when he said that the 1Dx was better than the D4. Nikon DXO marks clearly trump Canon's. What a joke Scott Kelby. I no longer subscribe to your videos or watch your pod-casts.

nope !

bgbs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,195
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.

If it's a business decision on Kelby's part, I assume its a good one, because now he can gain more customers who are Canon shooters.  Kelby site and programs were known as being kind of "Nikonik", and I assume most of his customers were Nikon shooters. Not now.

xtm Senior Member • Posts: 1,032
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
4

I have two words for this

1. who

2. cares

 xtm's gear list:xtm's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +2 more
Thoughts R Us Senior Member • Posts: 1,405
Re: Happens, it always has been the norm
1

Newsflash: people are motivated by money.  Professionals are motivated by money.

It always has been this way.  In any profession, most people will accept money for sponsorship deals.  Do you think famous pro athletes choose Nike or Adidas based on their preference?  No, they go with whichever company pays them the most cash.

The key is for us as consumers to be aware of these sponsorship relationships, so that we may take the advice of these professionals in the appropriate manner.

As for Scott, Canon offered him not only some free equipment but more importantly sponsorship of his events, etc.  In a world where both Nikon and Canon make exceptional equipment, I can't blame him for choosing the one willing to bankroll him. The only thing I might criticize him of is the way that he announced it...kind of downplaying the sponsorship angle, and seeming to prefer Canon equipment on the merits.

Thoughts R Us Senior Member • Posts: 1,405
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
4

rayman 2 wrote:

SVPhotography wrote:

Put it this way - if Canon offered you a couple of 1Dxs with any lens you want to go with it for free - wouldn't you switch?

G3User wrote:

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon. Now it's evident he was not telling the truth. Today, he announced the launch of a Canon fan boy tour. Also, DXO marks say that he was not telling the truth when he said that the 1Dx was better than the D4. Nikon DXO marks clearly trump Canon's. What a joke Scott Kelby. I no longer subscribe to your videos or watch your pod-casts.

nope !

The key isn't so much that Canon gave Kelby some free equipment...that's nice, but for someone of Kelby's stature that's probably not a dealmaker.  The key is that Canon has offered sponsorship of Kelby events...and that is far more important and lucrative to Kelby and his business model.

So the question should really be: if Canon offered you a ton of sponsorship money, that basically sustained and elevated the bread and butter of your business, would you take it?

I submit that virtually everyone would, because your business model depends on it.  It's a very difficult to make money in the world of professional photography these days, and if Canon can basically ensure your success then of course you will go with them.

Keep in mind that Kelby's main business isn't shooting pics and selling them...it's putting on events, educational seminars, photo walks, etc...and also selling his books/dvd's/instructional software.  Canon now is underwriting a good amount of that.  Witness this Canon in Action Tour.  That's big bucks to Scott.

So I don't blame Scott, as long as he is transparent about his ties with Canon.  Given that his tour is called Canon in Action, I would say he is being about as transparent as possible.

roustabout66 Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
3

G3User wrote:

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon. Now it's evident he was not telling the truth. Today, he announced the launch of a Canon fan boy tour. Also, DXO marks say that he was not telling the truth when he said that the 1Dx was better than the D4. Nikon DXO marks clearly trump Canon's. What a joke Scott Kelby. I no longer subscribe to your videos or watch your pod-casts.

What DXO says must not matter to the majority of sports/action shooters since they also shoot Canon. High dynamic range shots that are out of focus evidently don't sell very well.

SkvLTD
SkvLTD Regular Member • Posts: 429
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.

I can see the power struggle between Nik and Can, but Sony? Sony's been in a daze with all that mirrorless nonsense and allowed their flagship to become seriously outdated and dusted. Can't see anyone saying that it's top game these days.

 SkvLTD's gear list:SkvLTD's gear list
Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +7 more
ebuddha Regular Member • Posts: 208
Re: Happens, seems the norm these days
2

Paul P K wrote:

Last week we had the Professional Imaging 2014 photographic fair/convention (for pros and amateurs) in the Netherlands.

One of the speakers was Joe McNally, known Nikon user, who during his demonstration funheartedly poked fun with users of other brands. No serious harm done there.

Then came a ' well known' modelphotographer (didn't know that category existed prfessionally, I know portrait, fashion, sports, prduct etc. photographers, but 'modelphotographer'?) Frank Doornbos (never heard of the guy, apperently well known in a small amateur orientated circle in the Netherlands, but internationally?) who in his self centered chest banging 'presentation' bragged about his workshops (apparently his main source of income) and took much trouble to put every other camera brand down to only put Sony at the top.

It would have been easy to believe him, if you wouod not have seen his site where ( coincidentally?) his blog was amnong of many other product plugs full of posts in which Sony camera's featured.

Just another KR wannabee, talk and promote what you're paid for, and genuine information be d**ned.

-- hide signature --

all in a day's work
http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/

Just wanted to add that, as far as professionals go and them doing lectures/demonstrations/workshops, etc that Joe McNally is one of (if not THE) best.  He's got all the latest gear, but will tell you he still loves walking around with an old 28mm prime.  He's a photographer and not a gear-head and isn't a pompus jerk (I met him while I attended a week-long Moose Peterson workshop - the only reason I stuck around was Joe, Moose was an arrogant prck).

 ebuddha's gear list:ebuddha's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +1 more
roustabout66 Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.

SkvLTD wrote:

I can see the power struggle between Nik and Can, but Sony? Sony's been in a daze with all that mirrorless nonsense and allowed their flagship to become seriously outdated and dusted. Can't see anyone saying that it's top game these days.

Are you replying to me? I did not mention Sony.

starman1969
starman1969 Senior Member • Posts: 3,713
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
4

Kcott Selby shares similar traits with Ren Kockwell.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

 starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EOS 1000D Nikon D4 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads