Printing 8x10 with 4000x6000 image out of the camera

Started Apr 1, 2014 | Discussions
jb61264 New Member • Posts: 1
Printing 8x10 with 4000x6000 image out of the camera

I am pretty new to a lot of this so sorry for such a basic question.

I have a Sony Alpha 65 that gives me 4000x6000 images. I need to get this to print to an 8x10 picture using the entire picture but it seems like I have to crop the picture in order to get it to print to 8x10.

Is there some trick I'm missing to be able to do this?...get the 4000x6000 image from the camera to and 8x10 print?

Thanks,

Jeff

artistguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,175
Re: Printing 8x10 with 4000x6000 image out of the camera

Hi Jeff,

You'll realise that 8x10 can't be 4x6 as that would be an 8x12 ratio. So that said, you need to crop the image to fit 8x10 print. A firly simple way would be to produce a photoshop action or droplet that could open, crop, and save your images as a batch ready for printing. Or, if using LR, create a print template with an 8x10 cell, you can then select all images in a folder to be printed in one go. The salient point is that cropping will be required unless you're happy with a white border.

artistguy's gear list:artistguy's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a7R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Jim Hess Veteran Member • Posts: 5,416

The only way you would be able to include the entire image in an 8 x 10 print from that image would be to have white borders along the long sides of the image. The aspect ratios are not the same. You will either have to do some cropping, or have borders, or have a weirdly distorted image.

Ron AKA Veteran Member • Posts: 4,875

You will have to crop it, or if you send it to a photo lab they will crop it for you. The advantage of cropping it yourself is you can control what parts are left out. Do you have photo editing software? What is it?

The math is fairly simple. In an 8x10 image the long side has to be 10/8 times the short side. In your case that means 10/8 times 4000 which equals 5000 pixels. Since you have 6000, you will have to throw 1000 pixels away by cropping. If you send it to a lab they are most likely going to chop 500 off each end. If you do it yourself, you can chop it off one end, the other, or both, as you choose.

What you can do with software, but is almost never satisfactory is squash the 6000 pixels down to 5000. Then the whole image will fit, but it will be distorted. It is done sometimes to make people appear a little slimmer than they really are, but when used for that 5% is about max to squash. In your case going to 5000 from 6000 would be about a 17% squash.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
BobSC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,714

Jim Hess wrote:

The only way you would be able to include the entire image in an 8 x 10 print from that image would be to have white borders along the long sides of the image.

The borders don't have to be white though. If you change the "canvas size" (photoshop terminology) you can make the borders a neutral gray, a black, or any color that complements the image. You could even do that blurry reflected thing they do on the news when they put video from a 4:3 camera into a 16:9 broadcast.

You can use this to your advantage when you intend to put the photo into a frame. So if you buy an 8x10 frame with a 5x7 hole in the matte, you can create an 8x10 print which has a 5x7 image centered, surrounded by gray. Now there are now issues mounting the print to the matte -- just put it behind and it's automatically aligned and held in place.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads