* This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.03.29 * Part 2

Started Mar 31, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Florida Nature Photographer Senior Member • Posts: 7,838
* This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.03.29 * Part 2

Part 1 filled up. You can view it and the great photos and critiques it contains here.

Everybody please...

• Reply to THIS message when posting your own pictures.
  • Keep it polite.
  • If you find someone else's work interesting, leave a comment.
  • Newbies welcome.
  • Photo doesn't have to have been taken this week.
  • Images are often much improved when viewed large.
 Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more
Florida Nature Photographer OP Senior Member • Posts: 7,838
People having fun on the water

I was trying some more stuff this weekend. Most of it turned out to be not fit for your consumption, but I'll keep trying.

These two turned out O.K. I think, although I'm not convinced they are really portfolio shots. However, you've surprised me before with the enthusiasm you've show for some of my shots so I wanted to test the waters with these. (that was sort of punny)

Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more
Sergeg
Sergeg Senior Member • Posts: 2,654
Re: * This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.03.29 * Part 2
 Sergeg's gear list:Sergeg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D800 +3 more
KyleSlamchez Regular Member • Posts: 187
INDY Radder Day Ride

Today's bike ride around downtown Indianapolis gave me a chance to play around with Photoshop's gradient tools. ^_^

KyleSlamchez's gear list:KyleSlamchez's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma DP1x Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR +14 more
GeorgianBay1939
GeorgianBay1939 Senior Member • Posts: 3,610
More melting snow :-)

A few of the up-sun images of glistening snow taken yesterday:

A day after a downpour of rain.

White pine casting a short shadow on the glistening snow.

Tracks following the stream.

All with the 14-140 Mk II.

Our spring is a long ways behind this, a year ago:

NO trumpeters or geese have been seen in the neighbourhood this year.  NO open water at all, YET.  

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +9 more
GeorgianBay1939
Re: * This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.03.29 * Part 2

Great image of the Chevy ..... and of the Caddy here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53406796

Reminds me of my 1931 Model A Ford Coupe c/w Rumble Seat that I used to tool around in during the 1950s.  My first car, unmodified except for a 6v to 12v conversion and sealed beam headlights.

Good memories, thanks!

t

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +9 more
GeorgianBay1939
Re: People having fun on the water

Good ones!

Did you perchance get one of the second couple "suspended" above their reflection on that calm water?

I'm imagining that it might've been quite dramatic.

t

NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 4,125
Hanoi, Vietnam

I spent last week in Vietnam for the school holidays. This was my first major trip with the Panasonic 12-35, which I bought last month, and which I paired with my venerable E-P3.

The 12-35 really impressed me - apart from its propensity to offer vast tracts of purple flare around high-contrast edges. I spent quite a bit of time fixing it in Camera Raw.

Here are some shots from my first 24 hours in Hanoi. Nothing too great, but conditions were appalling:

My My first bowl of Pho Bo

John McCain's flight suit - the former US presidential contender was shot down and captured during the American War. This shot was taken at Hoa Lo Prison (also known as the Hanoi Hilton).

Old Man

Pergola

Street food

Commie officialdom! Shot in the Temple of Literature, Hanoi

Street hawker

Reflections

Mop and broom

S

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +13 more

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Good ones!

Did you perchance get one of the second couple "suspended" above their reflection on that calm water?

I'm not sure what you mean. I did tighten the crop, so there is more reflection to show. They were only in frame long enough for me to get two shots before they moved down stream. My other shot has just the guy and he isn't looking at the camera.

NZ Scott
Nice

I'm not sure that the two-tone approach works for me in the first image, but I do like the composition and the way you've incorporated flare into the shot.

The fourth one is very good, I think.

S

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +13 more
GeorgianBay1939

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Good ones!

I'm not sure what you mean.

A couple of summers ago I got a couple in a canoe in a glassy reflection which showed an almost exact replica of the direct image. The canoe had stopped so it was spookily suspended. In fact it was difficult to tell which end was up.

Your shot reminded me of it.  When I shoot waterfowl etc in good conditions, angles etc it is sometimes nice to get the whole reflection.

I did tighten the crop, so there is more reflection to show. They were only in frame long enough for me to get two shots before they moved down stream. My other shot has just the guy and he isn't looking at the camera.

Good stuff.   By the way, your first shot illustrates the fallacy of the "never take pix of the backs of folks" advice.  In your case it is a nice device to get the viewers' eyes into the depth of that swamp,  giving it a 3D sense.  A good "engagement" tool.

t

Pixnat2
Pixnat2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,177
Springtime closeups with the 12-40

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Frederic
http://azurphoto.com/

Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus PEN E-P1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
Pixnat2
Pixnat2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,177
Nice series!

Seems you had a great time in Vietnam!

I like them all, with a preference for reflections, pergola an commie officialdom. Oh, and the Pho Bo makes me hungry!

Well done.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Frederic
http://azurphoto.com/

Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus PEN E-P1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +12 more

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Good stuff. By the way, your first shot illustrates the fallacy of the "never take pix of the backs of folks" advice. In your case it is a nice device to get the viewers' eyes into the depth of that swamp, giving it a 3D sense. A good "engagement" tool.

Nice you know you agree with my decision.

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Your shot reminded me of it. When I shoot waterfowl etc in good conditions, angles etc it is sometimes nice to get the whole reflection.

You mean like this one from a couple of weeks ago.

lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 1,920
Re: INDY Radder Day Ride

Reminds me of Rapha or Chrome advertising.  That's a compliment because I really like their marketing images they capture the spirit of urban riding.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,325
Re: More melting snow :-)

I like the glistening snow.  The third is nice.  We are getting quite a bit of open water now in Lake Erie, but Long Point Bay is still mostly frozen over.  I suspect that will end in the next day or two.  This was taken yesterday at in the Bay.  Can't get close because private residences line the bay side of the causeway.  These are Tundra Swans, Whistling variety.  The numbers are way down from what is normally seen at peak migration time and this is at least three weeks latter than recent years.

Andrew

4/3 70 - 300 mm

JeanPierre Martel Senior Member • Posts: 2,858
OrchidExpo 2014

OM-D e-m5 with M.Zuiko 12-40mm hand-held.

Southern Ontario Orchid Society Booth

DSLR Aficionado

J&L Orchids Booth (Easton, USA)

Floral Arrangement by Ms Sanea Ebata

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +24 more
NZ Scott
Re: Springtime closeups with the 12-40

Nice.

Looks like the 12-40 is quite capable as a macro option.

S

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:

michealjmn Regular Member • Posts: 174
Re: More melting snow :-)

Nice set of pictures. In the 1st snow pictures the patterns in the snow are interesting. We have lost most (80%) of our snow cover in the last week.

Thanks

Micheal

michealjmn's gear list:michealjmn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Bhima78 Senior Member • Posts: 2,000
Best shot I took this week using a Manual Focus Minolta 50mm F2 lens on my Oly EM10

Its hard as heck to manually focus without focus peaking, though it feels quite rewarding when I get it right:

Bhima78's gear list:Bhima78's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads