I want to buy a digital camera for my grand daughter. She is 5 years old.

Started Mar 30, 2014 | Discussions
Teila Day
Teila Day Veteran Member • Posts: 5,258
There's hope after all for children.

Mike_PEAT wrote:

darklamp wrote:

She's five. There's just no point in getting her a camera, IMO. She'll as like as not try to crack it open on a rock to see what's inside at some point - and please don't tell me she's not like that - ALL five year olds are like that.

Bull, I was using a fully manual Agfa Isolette medium format camera when I was 6...ok, my mother set the exposure and focus for me, but I soon learned how to do it myself.

If you insist on getting her a camera then get the cheapest used P&S you can find. Anything.

Treat it like any toy a five year old has - disposable and destined sooner, rather than later, for a bin.

Or something like an Olympus TOUGH camera...it can be dropped 5 feet, and dropped into water and still work fine.

Well, maybe there's hopeā€¦ that all parents aren't treating their 5 year old like a doofus as opposed to a curious, able bodied, responsible, well-brought-up child who wants to tackle the world.

Nice camera, and thumbs up to your parent(s) for not treating you like a brain dead idiot.

-- hide signature --

Teila K. Day
http://teiladay.com

dannybgoode Contributing Member • Posts: 829
Re: There's hope after all for children.

Perhaps I should have phrased my comment slightly differently.

I am not saying do not get a camera and I think that much is clear from my post.  My little boy is 20 months old and I cannot wait to get him a camera and I hope he will want to come out with me on trips to use it.

I should have put that there is a high probability that something may happen to a camera being handled by a 5 year old.  Not through malice but accidents happen - sometimes something does get dropped or lost or drowned.  It just does.  With this in mind spend as much as you are comfortable as potentially losing.

Anyone who has a 5 year old that has never had them drop a glass or break a plate is mollycoddling them because it means they have never held them.

If something does happen to their camera you want to be in a position to be able to replace it.  I would rather spend £50 on my son's first camera than £150 then I can replace it a couple of times should the worst happen.

I want him to have it on him as much as possible, not something to be taken out on special occasions and me having to supervise its use and with a good but cheap camera he can get on and learn how to use it.

Once he is comfortable in using it and I can see that he looks after it I will move him up the camera ladder as quickly as I feel sensible.

-- hide signature --
 dannybgoode's gear list:dannybgoode's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +7 more
kongqueror Regular Member • Posts: 213
My 5yo kid uses an Olympus TG-620 for stills/video...

It does great stills, pretty good macro, has video, and is pretty tough she can take it anywhere she has fun - the pool, biking, etc. without worrying about babying it too much.

It is currently set to iAuto mode and has a dedicated button for video.  She does stills and videos evenly so I'm inclined to think a tough but affordable P&S works better than an old SLR with no video (plus you can't get it soaked with water/mud).  I see a lot of new clearance/discounted rugged P&S in big box stores like Staples for less than $100 here in Canada.

In a couple of years, I plan to get my kid a DSLR that has video.  I'm pretty sure by that time, I can get something decent for $100-$150.

kongqueror's gear list:kongqueror's gear list
Olympus E-300 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +4 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 28,217
Re: Too young - don't, but if your must - cheapest used

K E Hoffman wrote:

darklamp wrote:

She's five. There's just no point in getting her a camera, IMO. She'll as like as not try to crack it open on a rock to see what's inside at some point - and please don't tell me she's not like that - ALL five year olds are like that.

If you insist on getting her a camera then get the cheapest used P&S you can find. Anything.

Treat it like any toy a five year old has - disposable and destined sooner, rather than later, for a bin.

She's not a boy.. more likely to get dropped while she is trying to teach a teddybear or doll how to use it.. it she is anything like my kid.

The important point is that 5 year olds vary enormously. Some will be safe with a camera or phone, others will not.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
darklamp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,567
Getting quite carried away, aren't you ?

There's a VAST gulf between what I wrote and what you decided it meant.

What I wrote can be summarized as "young kids tend to break thing".

What you wrote can be summarized as "all americans treat their kids as idiots and vandals".

I don't see the connection between your rant and my common sense.

Am I the only one who sees five year olds break and loose things more often than e.g. ten year olds ? You'll excuse me if I don;t panic about the end of civilization for this simple observation.

Common sense rears it's head

The important point is that 5 year olds vary enormously. Some will be safe with a camera or phone, others will not.

Thank you for that comment. I was beginning to think I lived on a different planet from the rest of the posters.

tcg550 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,349
Re: I used an Agfa Isolette medium format when I was 6.

darklamp wrote:

The issue is not whether a five year old can press a button, it's whether it's sensible to spend much on a camera for a child who, in the way of all young children ( including you Mike ) is as likely to break it as use it.

As for your story Mike, I'm inclined to call it Bull.

He didn't ask if it was a good idea he asked what camera.

Re: I want to buy a digital camera for my grand daughter. She is 5 years old.

yehudakgtbnet wrote:

Any recommendation about a simple camera?

Thank you,

Yehuda

I didn't see budget but I have a couple Kodak Easyshare Sports $100 - $150. The are waterproof and pretty rugged.

I carry them in my vehicle just in case. They get beat up pretty bad and they take a decent picture. Turn on and push the button.

scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595
Re: Getting quite carried away, aren't you ?

darklamp wrote:

There's a VAST gulf between what I wrote and what you decided it meant.

What I wrote can be summarized as "young kids tend to break thing".

What you wrote can be summarized as "all americans treat their kids as idiots and vandals".

I don't see the connection between your rant and my common sense.

Am I the only one who sees five year olds break and loose things more often than e.g. ten year olds ? You'll excuse me if I don;t panic about the end of civilization for this simple observation.

You can find five year olds who are more careful with things that many ten year olds. It's all about the quality of upbringing. Your initial post said:

She'll as like as not try to crack it open on a rock to see what's inside at some point - and please don't tell me she's not like that - ALL five year olds are like that.

You made a sweeping generalization that is flat out wrong.   Each kid is unique, and should be considered on an individual basis.   If the grandparent of a kid you never met thinks she is ready, it is not your place to question that based on age alone.

Yes, it is a very major problem in USA, at least in middle-upper class, that it is all too cheap and easy to replace things.   I can make a few taps on my smartphone, pay the $4 extra for overnight (Amazon Prime), and the item is by my door the next day.   Too many parents and grandparents will just go and buy a replacement whenever their tyke smashes something and then wants it again.  All too easy to drop another $50 - 100 rather than endure an hour of wailing, explaining to the toddler in no uncertain terms: "you broke it, it's gone".   Why should a kid be careful with stuff, if he is instilled with "I break it, I cry for 15 minutes, daddy will buy me another one" mentality?

My daughter got a tablet (Asus transformer) when she was 5.   A year and a half and counting, she didn't 'crack it open on a rock' Screen needs occasional cleaning, but otherwise it's like new.   On the other hand, our friends have an 18 year old daughter.  I replaced her smashed iPhone screen 3 times last year.

My other daughter was using our P&S since 4 and a half, we gave her her own when she was 6.   She is almost 9 now, and that camera is still in perfect shape.    Although these days, she prefers to use her tablet for pictures and video.

Maybe you should go to Dr. Phil's forums

This all sounds like you guys want to discuss child rearing rather than practicalities of photography. Try this :

http://community.drphil.com/

I think you're all taking my comments way to personally.

I'm happy for those of you who think their five year olds are veritable saints ( and scholars, I presume ). I've yet to see any of these perfect children outside of the Disney channel, but I'm happy for your blissful lives and I hope they continue.

Calm. Blue. Ocean.

P.S. I don't generally watch the Disney channel, but when flipping through channels to get to something less revoltingly antiseptic it does seem to be populated by people manufactured from molds and wrapped in plastic. I always imagine they have must exude a "new car" smell.

scorrpio

If you thing the girl knows how to treat things, go for it.     Do you have any idea where she is most likely to use the camera?    A ruggedized/waterproof one might be a prudent option.

One thing you should also consider very carefully is how will she manage the results.   The images need to be offloaded from the card to a PC or another device, on which they can be viewed, sorted, shared, and maybe printed.   My daughter actually prefers to use her tablet rather than her camera these days.   The quality is decidedly inferior, but the images are instantly available for viewing on a 10" screen, and she can sort them, embellish them, and share them via email.   If I were to get her another camera, I would get something with WiFi, and  set it up to instantly upload to where she can access them from the tablet.

Re: Maybe you should go to Dr. Phil's forums

darklamp wrote:

This all sounds like you guys want to discuss child rearing rather than practicalities of photography. Try this :

I'm happy for those of you who think their five year olds are veritable saints ( and scholars, I presume ). I've yet to see any of these perfect children outside of the Disney channel, but I'm happy for your blissful lives and I hope they continue.

Calm. Blue. Ocean.

P.S. I don't generally watch the Disney channel, but when flipping through channels to get to something less revoltingly antiseptic it does seem to be populated by people manufactured from molds and wrapped in plastic. I always imagine they have must exude a "new car" smell.

You started the child rearing discussion.

DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,745

yehudakgtbnet wrote:

Any recommendation about a simple camera?

Thank you,

Yehuda

I'm going to stay out of the child rearing aspect of this thread and recommend a shockproof and water proof camera. I'm not saying that because it will stop your child from breaking it, although it will, but something like that will allow her to take the camera to the beach and swimming pools and other outdoor activities. Look at the comparisons of those kinds of cameras.

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
... unless you're in the Twilight Zone already

You started the child rearing discussion.

If that's what happened in your universe then that's fine. It's nice to know that we're not sharing the same space-time.

scorrpio
Re: Maybe you should go to Dr. Phil's forums

darklamp wrote:

Calm. Blue. Ocean.

YOU started the 'ALL kids break things' pitch, so deal with it.   And no, it is not a blissful calm blue ocean.    My 6 year old's nickname is 'Master of Disaster'.  You just never know when is she going to go into bathroom to wash hands, and emerge covered head to toe in toothpaste or go into the kitchen, and smash several pounds of bananas, strawberries and whatever else handy into 'dessert for Daddy'.   Once, after she made herself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I had to clean peanut butter off the CEILING.   During our last vacation, she managed to fall into the airplane's luggage hold (don't ask).  But she is darn careful with her tablet and other breakables.

NetMage Senior Member • Posts: 2,910

In that case I suggest a Panasonic superzoom, older model used from eBay.

The lens will provide great range and macro for learning the types of photos she likes, the cameras support PASM and the older ones take surprisingly good pictures while selling for very little.

An FZ28 or similar should be inexpensive but provide a good model for ILC use in the future.
--
-- Please remove the Quote option!
-- How about switching to real forum software?

NetMage's gear list:NetMage's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sigma DP1x Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 +23 more
Like I said ...

You're all taking this far too personally.

And my mentioning the common sense fact that young children break things is not me starting a discussion on child rearing. You can thank Teila for that rant :

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53411315

I'm baffled why some of you are upset by the idea that young children break things. To me this is nothing more than common sense.

Where all this hostility comes from I do not know.

Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,344
We didn't reply to the OP, follow the thread!

tcg550 wrote:

darklamp wrote:

The issue is not whether a five year old can press a button, it's whether it's sensible to spend much on a camera for a child who, in the way of all young children ( including you Mike ) is as likely to break it as use it.

As for your story Mike, I'm inclined to call it Bull.

He didn't ask if it was a good idea he asked what camera.

Suggest you switch to threaded mode...then everything will make sense.

Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,873
Re: Like I said ...

Those folks who think 5 year olds never drop or break things probably don't have any children of their own.

It's not like you are buying them a camera for the rest of their life. They will outgrow the camera in a few yeas, and then you can get them something better. When they are a little bit older. And even that camera will only last them for a few more years.

I just don't get all the hysteria over giving a small child a rugged camera.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +16 more
tdaubee
tdaubee Forum Member • Posts: 64
 tdaubee's gear list:tdaubee's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads