The Original Flying Wing

Started Mar 29, 2014 | Discussions
InTheMist
InTheMist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078
Re: not The Original Flying Wing

brettchris wrote:

Nice shots. Very interesting plane. Sorry to correct you but these flying wing designs are actually copies of Germany ww2 designers Horton who even made a jet powered version. Northrop probably got the plans via some dodgy post war deal.

Fact is the Germans were decades ahead on some radical ideas.

Right. Flying wings with vertical stabilizers aren't that hard.

The Hortons (brothers) were a genius - unfortunately, enthusiastic Nazis, so they don't get much coverage.  One of the broghters immigrated to Argentina after the war, I forget what happened to the other.

Anyway, great shots, OP!  I enjoyed them all.

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M-Monochrom Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +18 more
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
Re: The Original Flying Wing

These are really nice images of the flyying wing. Good captures, all of them. I see you repeated the exposure in every shot. Why change once you've nailed it?

I remember my father's RC airplane club flying a radio contorlled wing back in the early 1960's. It was a prop plane of course, using model plane engines. I remember watching many a man cry (lament actually) when their plane lost control and crashed.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
mike shaw Regular Member • Posts: 115

Very nice shots! Crisp and sharp. Thanks for sharing!

Mr Gadget Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

WIMorrison wrote:

Oh dear, do we have something else that the good ole US of A has just found out that it didn't invent

Perhaps a cocky English attitude?

gear1box Senior Member • Posts: 1,524

Robin Casady wrote:

Yxa wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

WIMorrison wrote:

Oh dear, do we have something else that the good ole US of A has just found out that it didn't invent

Machine gun and the colt revolver.

Swedish Jonas Offrells revolver, 1839 two years Before Samuel Colt

But that's not a Colt revolver. Only Colt could invent a Coltrevolver.

i am sorry -- off topic, forgive me -- but the original Colt revolver patent was granted (in England!) in 1835 with an American patent issued the next year. Manufacturing began in 1836 too, but there were problems, they were expensive, and the firm finally closed in 1843. A new company was spawned by US demand in the Texas / Mexican wars four years later; a derivative of that firm exists today.

There were a host of Colt knock-offs; this is only one and appears to be designed to minimize the risk of sympathetic ignition of other cylinders . . . which early Colts were ere to.  A not terribly bad Wiki on this subject is here, but there is much more on the net:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Colt

There were earlier flintlock era approaches to multiple barreled weapons, but they weren't practical due to the powder pan spilling (and, again, sympathetic firing).  Colt appears to also be the first to have thought of having the hammer cocking movement simultaneously index the rotating chamber in one motion.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810 Olympus E-PL7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Yxa
Yxa Senior Member • Posts: 2,282

gear1box wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

Yxa wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

WIMorrison wrote:

Machine gun and the colt revolver.

Swedish Jonas Offrells revolver, 1839 two years Before Samuel Colt

But that's not a Colt revolver. Only Colt could invent a Coltrevolver.

i am sorry -- off topic, forgive me -- but the original Colt revolver patent was granted (in England!) in 1835 with an American patent issued the next year. Manufacturing began in 1836 too, but there were problems, they were expensive, and the firm finally closed in 1843. A new company was spawned by US demand in the Texas / Mexican wars four years later; a derivative of that firm exists today.

There were a host of Colt knock-offs; this is only one and appears to be designed to minimize the risk of sympathetic ignition of other cylinders . . . which early Colts were ere to. A not terribly bad Wiki on this subject is here, but there is much more on the net:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Colt

There were earlier flintlock era approaches to multiple barreled weapons, but they weren't practical due to the powder pan spilling (and, again, sympathetic firing). Colt appears to also be the first to have thought of having the hammer cocking movement simultaneously index the rotating chamber in one motion.

Ok so Offrell was second to it then, he also went bust

Jack Hogan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,515

Good set.  Like number 4 best.

quadraticadder Regular Member • Posts: 392

The Horten Ho 229 was the first jet powered flying wing.  Its combination of small radar profile and higher speed added up to a net stealth advantage of being hard to detect until it was almost right on top of you, moving quickly, and causing damage before intercepters could be scrambled.  The Horten brothers were designing a much larger version that could fly across the Atlantic and bomb North America.  Did the Hortens have prior propeller designs and flying prototypes?  The Ho 229 first flew in 1944, while the first flight of the Northrop N9-M was in 1942.  As others pointed out, the flying wing concept was around before then.

Best,

Steve

quadraticadder's gear list:quadraticadder's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 50mm f/2.5 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads