Olympus XZ-2 problem

Started Mar 28, 2014 | Discussions
gsaronni Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Olympus XZ-2 problem

47872Mike wrote:

Are you running the latest 1.3 firmware? If you are, and you select single spot AF in challenging conditions, it seems to work fairly well.

Yes, I am using the latest firmware, and since then the AF is much better, but LX5 was much better, sorry

Now I am considering sending it to technical service because everyday I use it I have three or four photos extra after taking the one I want, and it never happened to me with any camera, it si something new for me

47872Mike Regular Member • Posts: 191

Ken, was this with an XZ-1 as you stated, or an XZ-2? My XZ-1 had all kinds of tricks which I got used to over about 12000 shots. The one that could vaguely relate to the one you describe is that in some conditions the AWB would seem to bracket itself slightly colour-temperature wise when shooting a few shots. But the biggest one was probably its refusal to expose properly in low light unless I disabled matrix metering and used centre-weighted or spot. Took me a while to work that one out.

I have only had a couple of days with the XZ-2 so don't know its tricks yet, apart from my brief introduction to the double exposure trick. At least it doesn't put them on the same frame.....

I love my Olympus cameras but I do tend to have to undergo a "frustration period" with them until I know them.

47872Mike's gear list:47872Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Sony SLT-A37 Canon EOS 6D +8 more
Ken Croft Senior Member • Posts: 1,739

Sorry for the typo. I was referring to my only current Olympus, the XZ-2. I have had mine for a few weeks. I think the image quality is good for a small sensor, but most of all I like the tilting screen, the abilty to temporarily lock out some of the buttons and the general ergonomics. Having a camera that handles well and feels right makes concentration on making good images much easier.

Ken from the UK now living in SW France

Oh dear - sorry to hear that. I think that I too would definitely arrange for it to be looked at in your position. It would be interesting to find out what they do about it. I hope they can sort it out.

Ken Croft wrote:

Sorry for the typo. I was referring to my only current Olympus, the XZ-2. I have had mine for a few weeks. I think the image quality is good for a small sensor, but most of all I like the tilting screen, the abilty to temporarily lock out some of the buttons and the general ergonomics. Having a camera that handles well and feels right makes concentration on making good images much easier.

I'm on only about my fourth day with the XZ-2. I really like the improvements over the XZ-1 in high ISO shooting and general speed of operation, but got a bit thrown at first by the poor light AF, until I read that it is necessary to use only one focus point to get the best out of it with Firmware 1.3 - and by the double exposure thing.

The jury is still out for me over low ISO performance, where my XZ-1 really excelled. And I think the XZ-1 was better built.

ludwik123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,417

This double exposure problem is annoying when using the physical shutter button.

I now exclusively use the touchscreen. Focus is spot on and no double or triple exposures.

I also get very angry when people do not believe my problems. They accuse you of imagining it or using wrong settings etc.

When it happens to them it suddenly becomes important.

ludwik123's gear list:ludwik123's gear list
Olympus C-765 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Fujifilm FinePix F80EXR Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus SZ-16 iHS +7 more

Oh, people not believing the quirks and faults of photo equipment is very common.

Each and every time I post in a response to an advice question about the Lumix 20mm lens an online forum which mentions the banding the lens gives when shot with Sony-sensored Olympus cameras, I get people chiming in to suggest I am misusing the equipment in some way, or underexposing, or that the problem has been solved with the latest firmware...or sometimes that the problem simply doesn't exist, so I must be imagining it.

I got the same when I was advising prospective users about the Sigma 10-20mm ultrawide lens for DSLRs. It's an excellent lens if you get a good one, but you have to work quite hard to get a good one, since so many left the factory with horrendous de-centering.

It's always the same...there are people who think everyone else is an idiot.

So I know just what you mean!

gsaronni wrote:

Mine has the same problem. I am sending to the technical service.

It is SN JKN2135XX

It makes a lot of OOF shots, much more than my previous LX5, the face detection is useless because never do a focused shot, I have tested the central focus point and the 7x5 area, very porr AF performance

just received mine from the technical service in Portugal. They have substituted an electronic board, I hope it will be OK now

Mine still does the two shot trick, but it is no problem, it just startles me when I hear it happen. I will not be risking any repair. There are some very minor niggles with the camera but overall I think it is excellent.

OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,885

"Mine still does the two shot trick, but it is no problem, it just startles me when I hear it happen."

If the XZ2 double shot startles you, you would probably run away screaming if you heard my Pentax K3 mirror flopping.   It is equally rare as double shots on my XZ2, which is to say if I use my camera heavily, it will eventually happen.  (Rumors say a user settable firmware fix is in the works for the K3 -- so far the only repair option is to send in a K3 for a firmware fix that can only be done by the factory.)

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more

Ken Croft wrote:

Mine still does the two shot trick, but it is no problem, it just startles me when I hear it happen. I will not be risking any repair. There are some very minor niggles with the camera but overall I think it is excellent.

Well.

The repair is inexistant since this evening I had five double shots. So when I return back from my holidays I will contact Olympus SAT to ask what to do

I am quite annoyed

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,525

1. At least Olympus is working with some of the owners on this. There could be issues with the shutter button mechanism that would impact many models.  Sound familiar?

2. Maybe starting at a higher price point but this is why I think camera OEMs should issue Technical Service Bulletins, as is done in the automotive industry.  These are recognized issues short of a mandatory recall. If the owner brings the car in with that issue, it is repaired free of charge under warranty.  When DSLRs cost $2-3-higher K, there should be a formal TSB system.

ludwik123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,417

gsaronni wrote:

Ken Croft wrote:

Well.

The repair is inexistant since this evening I had five double shots. So when I return back from my holidays I will contact Olympus SAT to ask what to do

I am quite annoyed

I understand how you feel.  My XZ2 is just as bad.  Getting three double shots in 1 hour is not rare.  Now I just use the touchscreen.

I don't know of any other model of camera with this double shot problem, olympus or otherwise.

ludwik123's gear list:ludwik123's gear list
Olympus C-765 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Fujifilm FinePix F80EXR Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus SZ-16 iHS +7 more

I do have a question for anyone affected by this issue, please:

Basically, does it get worse? I recently bought an XZ-2 which is giving one double shot about every 100 or so shots. If I can expect it to get worse, maybe I ought to try to get it looked at, but if peoples' experience suggests that it will stay the same, I am unlikely to bother.

What is the general experience?

OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,885

My experience has been that it stays the same over time.  But my occurence rate was probably more like one out of a thousand instead of one out of one hundred.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more

Thanks. If there is some agreement over it staying the same, that will be something!

Olympus XZ-2 double shot problem

Just to comment I sent the camera to repair a second time this last september, and it is again doing double exposure shots, around 25% is double shot

I dont know what they repair in camera, but I am going to send it again, it will be the third time, or I will ask for a replacement.

I will keep you informed

Re: Olympus XZ-2 double shot problem

Mine still does it, about once every time I take the camera out for the day. I just had a 3 day break in northern Spain, and I probably had 3 or 4 double takes. It doesn't bother me at all, but it is rubbish that it should be happening. I guess the XZ-2 is such a relatively old design now that Olympus have no interest at all in correcting the problem. It would be nice if they would just own up to not having a solution though.

Ken C

Re: Olympus XZ-2 double shot problem

Mine did it again this morning, just once, for the first time in about 200-300 shots.

The thing is, though I quite like the camera, I haven't used it anything like as much as I did my XZ-1, probably because I find it so comparatively uncomfortable to hold, and because the image quality of the m4/3 cameras has, I think, made much more of a jump than the XZ-2 represents over the XZ-1 in image quality terms.

it is still possible I may get to love it, though...

Re: Olympus XZ-2 double shot problem. Update

Hello

Last news. The camera has not any hardware problem. The double shot issue is caused by the latest firmware that improved the XZ-2 general perfromance and caused this problem related too with the way one use the shutter button

In a couple of days I will receive it and I will try to forget this annoying issue. I dont expect any firmware update for such an old model

Regards

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads