Olympus XZ-2 problem

Started Mar 28, 2014 | Discussions
sait Regular Member • Posts: 101
Olympus XZ-2 problem

I've purchased some time ago a new XZ-2. At random times it was taking 2 shots in single shot mode.  After using it for close to a year I had enough, so I sent it for repair under guarantee.  After 2 tries, including "changing the top control assembly", the fault was still there, so they supplied me with a new, replacement XZ-2 free of charge.

Unfortunately the new camera has the same problem.  In fact, in one instance it took 3 shots for one shutter actuation.

I have tried all sorts of combinations regarding camera modes, plus different batteries, different memory cards, etc.  I can't find any specific situation/mutation.  The camera takes two successive shots when it feel like it.  Although this is not life threatening, it becomes rather irritating after a while.

I thought, it was a bit strange that 2 cameras that I've got should have this problem, when I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else on the net.

So if you had this problem with your Oly XZ-2 or any other digital camera, and/or found a remedy, I would like to hear from you.

I would appreciate if only people who have experienced the problem themselves or know of someone who has, reply.

Thanks.

ludwik123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,417
Re: Olympus XZ-2 problem

sait wrote:

I've purchased some time ago a new XZ-2. At random times it was taking 2 shots in single shot mode. After using it for close to a year I had enough, so I sent it for repair under guarantee. After 2 tries, including "changing the top control assembly", the fault was still there, so they supplied me with a new, replacement XZ-2 free of charge.

Unfortunately the new camera has the same problem. In fact, in one instance it took 3 shots for one shutter actuation.

I have tried all sorts of combinations regarding camera modes, plus different batteries, different memory cards, etc. I can't find any specific situation/mutation. The camera takes two successive shots when it feel like it. Although this is not life threatening, it becomes rather irritating after a while.

I thought, it was a bit strange that 2 cameras that I've got should have this problem, when I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else on the net.

So if you had this problem with your Oly XZ-2 or any other digital camera, and/or found a remedy, I would like to hear from you.

I would appreciate if only people who have experienced the problem themselves or know of someone who has, reply.

Thanks.

My XZ-2 behaves the same way. I don't see it as a fault. Just a minor irritation. Initially I thought I was holding the shutter down too long and it was a feature of the camera to take several photos when doing a long press. But now when I am trying to take multiple photos by long presses I only get one photo. Since I have not changed any settings regarding multiple photos. The camera is set to single shot.

I have the camera in my hands now set to single shot. And I am only getting a single shot. But at random times in the field I get multiple shots from one shutter press. I think it is an intermittent fault. I am puzzled. If you cannot reproduce the fault when needed you cannot prove it exists!

My suggestion is and this is what I intend to do.  Is that immediately after it happens check the setting for shooting mode to see if it has changed to sequential or high-speed on it's own.  I once had a Fuji that reset it's flash mode to ON from AUTO and OFF automatically without my intervention!

ludwik123's gear list:ludwik123's gear list
Olympus C-765 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Fujifilm FinePix F80EXR Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus SZ-16 iHS +7 more
OP sait Regular Member • Posts: 101

Thanks Ludwig,  yours was the exact reply I was hoping to get.  Our symptoms are exactly the same.   One would expect an "irritation" like  this to happen with the odd camera, but when it happened with both of my copies of the same model, I was a bit uneasy.  I've tested what you've suggested about "the camera changing the shooting mode by itself", but that is not the cause either.  I'll wait a bit to see if there are other people with the same problem, then send the camera back to Olympus repair in NZ.

Thanks, again

sait wrote:

Thanks Ludwig, yours was the exact reply I was hoping to get. Our symptoms are exactly the same. One would expect an "irritation" like this to happen with the odd camera, but when it happened with both of my copies of the same model, I was a bit uneasy. I've tested what you've suggested about "the camera changing the shooting mode by itself", but that is not the cause either. I'll wait a bit to see if there are other people with the same problem, then send the camera back to Olympus repair in NZ.

Thanks, again

The problem remains, how do we prove that the problem exists when it happens unexpectedly, sometimes it happens afters a couple hundred shots at other times after only a couple of shots.  I can not make it occur on demand.

Olympus C-765 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Fujifilm FinePix F80EXR Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus SZ-16 iHS +7 more
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,841

I have seen this every once in a while with my XZ2. Not very often.

Year77's explanation of bounce is correct. It is an issue that comes up all the time with electronics of all kinds. Without even thinking about, when I experience things like that, I just start pressing buttons more firmly.

Sometimes when a button is designed to respond very fast, it is difficult to solve the bounce problem.  A solutions like Press and Hold for an extended period is not very satisfactory for a camera shutter release button.   (Or for an emergency safety shut off when a panicked person might jab at a button.  There have been a few incidents where bad outcomes resulted when a person was repeatedly jabbing at a shut off button to no effect.)

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more

ludwik123 wrote:

The problem remains, how do we prove that the problem exists when it happens unexpectedly, sometimes it happens afters a couple hundred shots at other times after only a couple of shots. I can not make it occur on demand.

If you keep the double shots, and look through the EXIF details via a program like Lightroom, it shows to the individual second, when the shot was taken.  In quite a few of my double shots the camera has registered the same second in the EXIF file which is quite a reasonable proof.  This thread also has established that there is a universal problem.

needmoretoys Regular Member • Posts: 492

I just had my new XZ-2 from Amazon double snap twice after about 60 photos. It happened today and I remembered reading this thread yesterday. It sounds like it isn't something that is likely to be fixed by exchange or repair, so I can live with it. Or rather my wife will have to, since it is her new camera that I'm setting up and testing for her.

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more

Thanks for your contribution.  My second XZ-2 is also still playing up.  Today I had a double, immediately followed by a triple exposure.  Would you mind posting if your camera came with the later firmware, i.e v1.3, and also the date on the battery please.  I'm trying to find out if your camera was one of the earlier or later productions.  Both my first camera and second came with firmware version 1.1, and dates on the batteries were 2012-09 & 2012-11 respectively.

needmoretoys Regular Member • Posts: 492

The camera came with v.1.1, but I updated it to v.1.3 when it arrived. The battery in the camera at the time it double snapped was a new Wasabi battery that I bought as a spare. The S/N of the camera is JKM206XXX, made in Indonesia. I tried to do a search on production dates, but with no luck. The Olympus battery has a date of 2012-12, so I guess this is an early production camera.

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more

Thanks for your reply - does sound like an early camera.

Happened 3 times today.  And it's only 1pm.

I've been asked by Olympus via their local repair agent to provide sample files for the double shot problem.  I will report the outcome here once I get their response to my files.

sait wrote:

I've been asked by Olympus via their local repair agent to provide sample files for the double shot problem. I will report the outcome here once I get their response to my files.

How do we prove that the camera was in single shot mode rather than continuous mode when it happens?

I will be FTP'ing untouched RAW files.  The EXIF data includes all the parameters.

47872Mike Regular Member • Posts: 188

I have just bought an XZ-2 and noticed this happening twice while I was testing the camera.

I was shooting at slow speeds and releasing the shutter (ie pressing the button) very gradually.

This is not the first camera I have had this happen with. I seem to remember learning to eradicate it over time with the others. At the moment I am not sure if it is to do with my very gradual shutter-pressing technique.

Did anyone ever find a solution?

47872Mike's gear list:47872Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony SLT-A37 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +11 more
gsaronni Junior Member • Posts: 36

Mine has the same problem. I am sending to the technical service.

It is SN JKN2135XX

It makes a lot of OOF shots, much more than my previous LX5, the face detection is useless because never do a focused shot, I have tested the central focus point and the 7x5 area, very porr AF performance

Are you running the latest 1.3 firmware? If you are, and you select single spot AF in challenging conditions, it seems to work fairly well.

Canon EOS 20D Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony SLT-A37 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +11 more
Ken Croft Senior Member • Posts: 1,739

Mine has sometimes taken two shots right from new about two months ago. It still does it from time to time but it does not bother me. I already posted to this effect some time ago What bothers me more are the comments suggesting that it is all our fault for setting the camera wrongly and I suspect that is why Olympus refuse to accept that the problem is real. You too-clever know-it-alls are doing us XZ-2 owners no favours. I can assure you that my camera just does it randomly without my help. And for the record it did it before firmware V1.3 and after it. So please cut out the smart-ass comments. They are not helpful.

Ken from the UK now living in SW France

I'm looking up and down the thread and wondering who you are aiming the antagonistic comments at, Ken.

If it was me, I think you're a little off-beam, since I have never inferred that firmware updates could rectify what may be a mechanical problem with a small number of cameras.

However firmware has certainly been able to improve the focus problems mentioned by the poster I replied to - but only if you switch to single point AF. With multi-point AF I get failures to lock in fairly low and low light even using Firmware 1.3.

Ken Croft Senior Member • Posts: 1,739

Mike, many apologies. I was not getting at you at all. I am sure that I have seen a thread somewhere about this problem with comments that the firmware update will fix the problem, or that the operator set the camera wrongly or nudged something. It was clearly not in this thread because I too have searched again and not found such comments. So once again, apologies for the obvious offense my comments generated.

Only a couple of days ago I had another strange event with the XZ-1. Here in SW France I was shooting the lighting of a bonfire to celebrate some saint or other. It was 10.30 in the evening, the camera was at ISO 800, single centre focusing and single shot mode, and auto white balance. The colour was what I would expect then for no reason, and the EXIF data shows no change, the colour of two subsequent images went totally all over red, then returned to what I had previously on later images. They were only snapshots of no significance, but this and the double shots business leaves me wondering what other unexpected tricks this camera has waiting for me to discover.

Ken from the UK now living in SW France

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads