ISO Shouldn't Be So High

Started Mar 27, 2014 | Discussions
Erik Stouffer New Member • Posts: 9
ISO Shouldn't Be So High

I'm shooting weddings in churches and I needed 2500 ISO at the last wedding I shot. I admit to have been shooting at f 4.0 or 5.0 and at 1/50th. But we need depth of field so that we don't get the groom out of focus. It seems like as cameras advance we need higher iso's. Maybe I was just in an incredibly difficult situation.

Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,387
Re: ISO Shouldn't Be So High

Erik Stouffer wrote:

I'm shooting weddings in churches and I needed 2500 ISO at the last wedding I shot. I admit to have been shooting at f 4.0 or 5.0 and at 1/50th. But we need depth of field so that we don't get the groom out of focus. It seems like as cameras advance we need higher iso's. Maybe I was just in an incredibly difficult situation.

Sounds about right. In a church with no flash, shooting 1/50 at F4 or F5, you're definitely going to need a really high ISO. By way of comparison, in a well-lit basketball arena, to shoot 1/1000 at F2.8 I need ISO 3200. That would be 1/400 at F4 at ISO 2500. I would expect a church to be three stops worse, which is what you're getting. It's not a question of needing higher ISO as cameras advance. That lighting was always bad. As cameras advance, we can actually use higher ISO. If you want to get better results in those conditions, you have to go to full frame, which will give you about a 2 stop advantage over the 7D and other 18MP cameras. Some people claim the 70D has an advantage over the 7D at high ISO, but if so, it's only about half a stop.

Edit: I just looked at the DPR comparison tool for the 70D and 700D (which has pretty much the same 18MP sensor as all the recent Canon APS-C DSLRs, until the 70D). Viewing RAW at ISO 3200 there's almost no difference, certainly less than half a stop. I've seen some people claim that their 70D was a stop or more better than the 7D at high ISO, but I suspect that that's wishful thinking.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 +19 more
Akpinxit Regular Member • Posts: 350

check the histogram , and see if the photo overexposed

anyway , if your metering mode set on "point" and it was aimed at some dark area , 1/50th 2500ISO makes scene

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,592
exactly

People go on and on about how we didn't need high ISO in the past, and if it was good enough for our grandfathers, it should be good enough for us.

But the reality is, if you want DOF control, and/or motion control, even ISO 12,800 doesn't always cut it. Try F5.6 and 1/500 for indoor sports where you want more than one person in focus.

The good news is, that if you post process properly, you can make very usable images at high ISOs.

Jonathan Brady
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 6,460

Keep in mind there's several years of software, and possibly hardware tweaking from the 7D and 60D to the 700D. I would expect the gap between the 700D and 70D to be narrower than the gap between the 7D and 70D.

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Sony a9 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +2 more
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,137

Exactly. More megapixels won't help nearly as much at this point.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,387

Jonathan Brady wrote:

Keep in mind there's several years of software, and possibly hardware tweaking from the 7D and 60D to the 700D. I would expect the gap between the 700D and 70D to be narrower than the gap between the 7D and 70D.

Perhaps a little. There are also several years between the 7D and EOS M, and I really don't see any difference between them at high ISO. From what I've seen of the 70D, it's at most half a stop better at high ISO than the 7D.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads