Who's got the most expeerience with 3rd party teleonverters?

Started Mar 26, 2014 | Discussions
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,985
Who's got the most expeerience with 3rd party teleonverters?

Last time I tried one of the things was in the late 1960's and it was junk.  I understand that better devices are available and I was pondering the advisability of using one with a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D.  Could anyone suggest what might work the best?

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,441
Re: Who's got the most expeerience with 3rd party teleonverters?
I was pondering the advisability of using one with a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D.

Could anyone suggest what might work the best?

Save Your Money and get a Nikon AF VR 80-400mm 4.5-5.6D ED for around € 1100.

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,253
Re: Who's got the most expeerience with 3rd party teleonverters?

Nikon have no AF converter to fit your lens.

The Kenko Pro 300 1.4x and 2x support AF on this lens.

When I switched to Nikon in 1999 Nikon had a manual focus 1970's technology TC14a converter for most lenses and AF "e" converters with protruding front elements which could not be fitted to most lenses. I owned both types of Nikon.

Then the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x supporting AF on all Nikon AF lenses came out and I bought one. I found the Kenko easily out performed the 1970's designed Nikon 14a MF converter on several lenses where the 14a was Nikon's recommended converter. I have seen similar comment but cannot confirm the Nikon 14b is similarly weak compared to Kenko on designated 14b lenses.

With no AF and lower optical quality I promptly sold the MF Nikon 14a.

On this basis the Kenko Pro seem better than 1960's technology you refer to.

The Nikon AF "e" converters are a little better performers than the Kenko but do not AF with your lens. Even if they can be modified to fit, the Nikon "e" series converters would not AF.

If you want a modern AF converter for your lens it is Kenko or nothing.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Producing good quality photographs, or being good at sport or art, involves a little more than buying appropriate equipment. Practice, some learning and perhaps natural talent often play a bigger role than the equipment in your hands.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +20 more
OP (unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,985
Re: Who's got the most experience with 3rd party teleconverters?

coronawithlime wrote:

Last time I tried one of the things was in the late 1960's and it was junk. I understand that better devices are available and I was pondering the advisability of using one with a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D. Could anyone suggest what might work the best?

-- hide signature --

-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."

My own fault for not being more concise Apologies for my lack of clarity.

I am only interested in a teleconverter.

I understand Nikon teleconverters don't work with screwdriver lenses and I will be looking at Kenko.

I was hoping for a response from someone who has personal experience using at least one of the available Kenko teleconverters on the Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D lens. Unless I am mistaken, they have two versions in 1.4x and two versions in 2x.

In re-reading my first post, it looks like I could possibly use some assistance with my typing accuracy  also.

-- hide signature --

-

OP (unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,985
Disregard. I found an older post. Thanx.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51484971

-- hide signature --

-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads