First atempt at HDR's

Started Mar 26, 2014 | Discussions
Fish Chris
Fish Chris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,987
First atempt at HDR's

So I've been using Photo Matrix Pro, and it fairly easy. It gives you a TON of different presets, with thumbnails... and while some are pretty crazy, I think I prefer to at least start with the more natural... or top "default" setting. Then I can push it around a little, but not so much as most of those presets...

Oh, another thing... Lasty week, I tried to manually shoot like 7-9 shots of a scene, while changing the exposure between each shot. Results were... eh... Okay.

So this morning, I took a whole bunch of 3 shot bracketed exposures (about 60 shots for 20 sets of 3, and I found that 3 properly separated (by exposure) shots, did just as well, or better, than my 7-9 manually bracketed shots...

Anyway, I know that HDR is one of those things that some love, and others hate. I really like the surealness of them.

So I was up at 2 AM, to be at the Marin Headlands, above the Golden Gate bridge, by 5:30am

Could have been a more colorful sunrise, but I still felt I got some pretty nice ones

Hope you enjoy them.

Peace,

Fish

Fish Chris's gear list:Fish Chris's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
phill104 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,517
Re: First atempt at HDR's

The composition seems a little off to my taste with the bridge vanishing too far to the edge of the frame. Other than that I quite like the effect.

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.
Some of my piccies - http://www.flickr.com/photos/distinctly_average
A windsurfing website I built - http://www.windsurf.me.uk

Fish Chris
OP Fish Chris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,987

Thank you Phil. I hear you on the vantage point. It's easy to get farther enough back, and more around towards the center, instead of so close to the South end.... but this means you get less detail from the bridge, itself.... But I dunno', what I LIKE BETTER ?

Peace,

Fish

edit; I think I'm slipping.... I forgot to post my favorite one

J A K Forum Pro • Posts: 15,833

I think you did pretty good from the standpoint of HDR processing.  BTW, AFAIC PM-Pro is the absolute best HDR S/W if you want to approach a "somewhat realistic" look when converting a set of bracketed shots.

Additionally, I'd like to say your chosen scene looked good to me but unfortunately the clouds let you down.  Sadly, you never know about the goodness (or badness) of sunrises or sunsets until you actually arrive at the "moment of truth" and then it's normally a disappointment.

LOL (actually it's not a laughing matter) ... I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been disappointed by a sunrise or sunset because the clouds were either non-existent, not in the right location, or just plain mushy and boring.

Regards,
Joe Kurkjian
Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/jkurkjia

Fish Chris

Thank you Joe.

I will go check out that HDR program you mentioned right now.

And about the clouds, you are exactly right ! Truer words have never been spoken ! And I have to say, I took a few of the shots with the best cloud detail (which again, was not great) and pushed and pulled them in every direction.... but you can only do so much in PP.

Peace,

Fish

PS, Hey speaking of clouds though, here in Nor Cal, the weather report is showing clouds for the entire extended 10 day forecast. Now if I could just find something cool to shoot in front of them ? The GG bridge is about 50 miles, and $25 in gas.... + getting up at 2:30am to beat traffic. So a sizable investment....

Fish Chris
update...

So hey, as a matter of fact, I went and had this one printed 20 x 30 by Costco, for $8.97 + tax, less than $10.... > Making sure to select "auto correct off" !

And Bam ! Let me put it this way, I SOOO would like to get this done 20 x 30, on an aluminum print .....but I keep thinking, I know I can do better... or at least, hit a day with a more dramatic sky...

Did that once with this photo >

Then took this one.

Peace,

Fish

snofox Regular Member • Posts: 333

Hi Chris.

It's obvious you are well on your way, right away. Just a marginal note. If you want really natural looking HDR, there is Picturenaut. Blazing fast, lots of controls, and it's absolutely free. Give it a try.

More sophisticated (for natural HDRs) is SNS HDR, Polish software. It isn't free, but it is really inexpensive for what you get. Superb HDR program.

Did I mention that Picturenaut was easy to use? and FREE?

snofox's gear list:snofox's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 700D Canon EOS 80D +6 more
Fish Chris
Re: First attempt at HDR's

snofox wrote:

Hi Chris.

It's obvious you are well on your way, right away. Just a marginal note. If you want really natural looking HDR, there is Picturenaut. Blazing fast, lots of controls, and it's absolutely free. Give it a try.

More sophisticated (for natural HDRs) is SNS HDR, Polish software. It isn't free, but it is really inexpensive for what you get. Superb HDR program.

Did I mention that Picturenaut was easy to use? and FREE?

Wow ! Thanks Pete That sounds fantastic. Will definitely check it out too.

To be honest, there are going to be shots that I want to look as totally natural as possible.... then, with certain things {like the GG bridge, for instance} I kind of prefer it to have a surreal type of look to it. So it just depends.

But yea, its funny, like I had said, PhotoMatrix gives you a ton of extreme 'painted' looking presets... but I've been starting out with the most natural one, and by the time I'm done, I wouldn't want it to look anymore.... I've heard it called "baked" or over processed... than it already does.

Off to Picturenaut

Peace,

Fish

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads