Wildflowers

Started Mar 25, 2014 | Discussions
steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,403
Wildflowers

Time to break out the 135 stf or whatever lenses you have to capture some of your local wildflowers for the Northern Hemisphere.  I am still in mix snow and rain so no locals yet for me, but you Southern areas should have lots of examples.  Please state which lens you captured your picture with.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
123Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 4,643
Re: Wildflowers

We should hold a contest for the area that will have flowers of any kind showing the latest. I might have a chance of winning...

OP steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,403

+1

Sony a77 II
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 18,499

123Mike wrote:

We should hold a contest for the area that will have flowers of any kind showing the latest. I might have a chance of winning...

Well, it snowed all day here today.  Ended up with only about three inches on the ground, but close to 50 inches for the winter.  Hopefully, this is the last of it

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
capt bob
capt bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,622

There Ya go Mike , I am starting the Bi weekly Macro/close focus thread back up on Saturday too.

All Flowers were shot with 400 4.5 Minolta or 300 2.8 , If I get up a couple Counties North  I can get some Fields of Wildflowers.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more

Thanks Bob for putting some sunshine into a stormy NW day.

Sony a77 II
lunabug
lunabug Regular Member • Posts: 139

SLT-58 with 18-55mm at 55mm

-- hide signature --

Lunabug

lunabug's gear list:lunabug's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Apple iPhone 6
brian14478
brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703

Nice bokeh on that 400apo..Cb are you going to try a extention tube on the 400 and 300mm?

Didn't use it much but a short kenko teleplus worked wonders on my 100-300tokina and sigma 75-200.

This is an unresized 100% crop

Not exactly a flower Brian, but a good example of a flower eater:-)

Sony a77 II
EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,473

Bob, I am jealous, you have wild flowers and nice weather in this first week of spring. Here in the North east we had Snow today. Almost 6 feet of snow this year making it the 2nd highest snow fall ever recorded here.

Nice shots BTW, I know spring will get here sooner or later.

Bill

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,996
Semi-Wildflowers

California Poppies. Semi-wild because these are at the nature preserve in an area where they do water native plants. Sony A77 & Sigma 150-500mm.

Anybody have any suggestions for shooting these brilliantly yellow flowers in direct sun without blowing out the yellows? I have used a 42" diffuser with fantastic results but I don't always carry that around in my back pocket.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +28 more
capt bob

Brian I just put the 25 mm Kenko AF Tube in my Bird Bag Monday ,I have yet to try it on the 400 but on the 300 2.8 it's Crazy Bokah with that Big Glass .

Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more
capt bob
Re: Semi-Wildflowers

Perhaps a Multi frame setting might look good perhaps just a taste of HDR

If you get a chance try that MFNR in Auto ISO i would be curious how it would do I am using it for more and more shots.

SpyderDoom
SpyderDoom Forum Member • Posts: 80

I like the less saturated colors. Has a more film-like look

WaltKnapp Forum Pro • Posts: 13,857

SpyderDoom wrote:

Ever since Color TV came out we have steadily seen more and more saturated photos.

I still prefer reproducing the actual color levels I see out there.

SpyderDoom

WaltKnapp wrote:

SpyderDoom wrote:

Ever since Color TV came out we have steadily seen more and more saturated photos.

I still prefer reproducing the actual color levels I see out there.

I have a color calibrated screen (2.2, 6500K) with about 550:1 contrast, but still a lot of images straight from the camera look very saturated and contrasty. And my panel is sRGB, not of the wide gamut variety.

The other day I was watching raw video samples from DSLRs and the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and I was amazed at the color difference. Real world colors are not so radioactive. I'm not sure why still cameras saturate colors so much.

Kodak learned to push saturation of red and yellow as the normal view of life.  Fuji pushed the greens and blues.  None of the films were accurate but were pleasing to the eye; digital can be anything the photographer wants it to be, but saturated colors are what pleases most viewers.

Sony a77 II
Re: Semi-Wildflowers

Nice shots of the gold carpet; I wondered if we would get any pics with the drought.

Sony a77 II
SpyderDoom

I guess I'm hard to please then... :/

eawhitcomb
eawhitcomb Contributing Member • Posts: 563

123Mike wrote:

Sadly…yes, you heard correctly -- I said sadly…my snow is just about gone and the river where I've been doing my shooting lately has lost all its ice.  I'm now in that time-frame where there's nothing of interest.  No snow covering anything, no ice, just dead looking trees.  This is the depressing time for photographers (IMO)!  Bring back the snow and ice!  

Elizabeth

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads